Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 9,274 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I'm debating about moving to NoVa or the DC Metro area, and my friends who have lived there for years say that in order to live "comfortably," you should be making around $100,000+/yr minimal gross (rent, food, monthly bills, entertainment, car payment etc.). Not sure if this is completely true, since they like to live on the high end. Another person told me that $75,000 gross minimal could be comfy. If I did move out there, I would probably get a 1 or 2 bedroom apt in NoVa somewhere. I do know it's pretty expensive to live out there. Not a huge fan of living in the heart DC, but PG County could be an option.

So is there a certain price range you should be making per year at a minimal without feeling strapped?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Is this for one person? I think your friends who say a minimum of $100,000 gross are spending a good amount living on the high end. Even $75k shouldn't be an issue.
I've been working in NoVA for 23 years and make about $15k less than that and I do fine. We are a family of three, in a single family home and gross about $165k.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 9,274 times
Hi tgbwc. Yes, this is just for me only. My friends who made those comments are also single, without kids.
Thank you for your personal comments! Now I can get a feel of what I would like to do for the future.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:38 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
It depends on where you want to live. It's easy to spend 3K+ per month in rent, but you could also live further out or share rent with roommates, which would cost less.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I make about $42k a year, and I manage to survive. I have college debt and a car note but no kids and live by myself. I'm getting a below market deal on the unit I rent.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Everything depends on how much debt you have and how you define comfortable. I think 100K for a single guy is pushing it a little - but on the other hand, it can be a bit hard to see people living high on the hog, buying expensive condos and cars, taking vacations to Europe, etc., when you're just scraping by with rent. For that lifestyle, you will need 80K plus, but to pay rent for a simple apartment, with little to no debt, no extravagant purchases or vacations, I think you can manage on much less. As a family of 3 I'd say we live comfortably enough on a little over 100K, and that includes a big mortgage and some debt.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 15,613 times
If you want to rent in NoVa closer to DC, with 75000, you should be fine, and if you are frugal you can even save at least 15000 a year and maybe more. But of course you won't be able to buy expensive cars or rent a huge luxury apartment.

With 100K, you can afford moderately expensive cars, e.g. a lower-end BMW, and a nice big apartment that is not too far from DC, and maybe within walking distance to the metro.

But if you consider PG county, the rent can be a few hundred dollars lower than in Arlington. So with 75K, you are probably going to be slightly above average in this area.

I would assume that even with 50K, and if you share an apartment with a roommate, you will still be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty2000 View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm debating about moving to NoVa or the DC Metro area, and my friends who have lived there for years say that in order to live "comfortably," you should be making around $100,000+/yr minimal gross (rent, food, monthly bills, entertainment, car payment etc.). Not sure if this is completely true, since they like to live on the high end. Another person told me that $75,000 gross minimal could be comfy. If I did move out there, I would probably get a 1 or 2 bedroom apt in NoVa somewhere. I do know it's pretty expensive to live out there. Not a huge fan of living in the heart DC, but PG County could be an option.

So is there a certain price range you should be making per year at a minimal without feeling strapped?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Daughter started at about $52-55k, rented a room in house with 3 other girls in Arlington. Had no student debt but did buy a used car in the $24k range. She did okay, but did not live high end. Three years later, she's up to about $65-70 and living quite well. Puts a lot in savings and 401k and enjoys lots of social activities.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty2000 View Post
Another person told me that $75,000 gross minimal could be comfy.
I'm about in that range (or, at least on pace to make that--I freelance) and it's definitely doable, and in a nice part of Arlington, near a Metro station, to boot. However, my own sanity and financial paranoia mean I won't have a car--and I'm perfectly okay with that because of ZipCar.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
It all depends how you define comfortable, and where exactly you want to live. Housing costs are the biggest expense here but they decrease the further away from DC you go.

I was making 28k when I graduated college a decade and a half ago and lived in Arlington with a buddy and felt comfortable. That much won't go as far today but you don't need anywhere close to 100k if you are fiscally responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: