Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM

57 posts, read 125,541 times

Advertisements

What is the "best" community in NoVa...and I should add with a reasonable commute to the Reston area. (My version of best is explained below).

We currently live in a fabulous area in Oregon....great schools, strong sense of community (4th of July parade, running races, community art everywhere, many walking/running trails, parks). I rarely leave the community for our needs...we have TJs, Whole Foods, etc. within 1-3 miles. It is place you really feel part of something. We love it. I understand I cannot duplicate this is Virginia, but I am looking for a Virginia like version.

We have three children and we know we are about to enter the busiest stage of life where their activities will dominate. I will not have time to be driving 5 miles this way, and 7 miles that way (plus I hear the NOVA traffic is crazy).

My version of best is a neighborhood where kids could actually walk to friends, sports and school events, if necessary. I have other friends who love their huge lots and semi rural locales, but that is not my first choice. I love that I can hear the concerts in the park from my house, and walk to them in 5 minutes.

We can spend up to 900,000 and would even stretch if there was something worth that stretch. At this point, Vienna is the only town that stands out. Are there other options in Fairfax, Falls Church, other places. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingwesttoeast View Post
What is the "best" community in NoVa...and I should add with a reasonable commute to the Reston area. (My version of best is explained below).

We currently live in a fabulous area in Oregon....great schools, strong sense of community (4th of July parade, running races, community art everywhere, many walking/running trails, parks). I rarely leave the community for our needs...we have TJs, Whole Foods, etc. within 1-3 miles. It is place you really feel part of something. We love it. I understand I cannot duplicate this is Virginia, but I am looking for a Virginia like version.

We have three children and we know we are about to enter the busiest stage of life where their activities will dominate. I will not have time to be driving 5 miles this way, and 7 miles that way (plus I hear the NOVA traffic is crazy).

My version of best is a neighborhood where kids could actually walk to friends, sports and school events, if necessary. I have other friends who love their huge lots and semi rural locales, but that is not my first choice. I love that I can hear the concerts in the park from my house, and walk to them in 5 minutes.

We can spend up to 900,000 and would even stretch if there was something worth that stretch. At this point, Vienna is the only town that stands out. Are there other options in Fairfax, Falls Church, other places. Help!
I think Vienna and Falls Church City are your best bets, not because they are the "best communities" in the area (different communities are best for different families) but because they do seem to fit more of what you indicate you're looking for than any other places in NoVa. Even so, this is NoVa, so you'll still end up driving more than you'd prefer. You will have plenty of housing options with a $900K-1M budget.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM

247 posts, read 688,176 times
To be honest, I think Reston itself would meet your needs. After growing up in NJ where every little town had its own feel, we've found Reston to be pretty close to that. There are tons of activities that are family oriented, festivals, fairs, etc. My kids all walk to friends' houses, and the path system makes it so they don't have to cross busy roads. The Town Center has concerts all summer. We have Whole Foods and other retail conveniences. Can't say it's going to match your experience out west--and note for the NoVa folks, I'm not trying to say Reston is better than anyplace else--just saying that we've been very happy here and from what you described, sounds like Reston has much to offer.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:31 AM

57 posts, read 125,541 times
Thanks for these thoughts. I actually really like Reston, but I was concerned about South Lakes HS (but I am not sure how big a concern it is, as people have different views)

Old 04-04-2009, 12:03 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
The best community is the one with the shortest commute, IMO. Reston's a great town. If you're worried about the high school, Cascades is wonderful, it's just a few miles away and the kids go to Potomac Falls HS.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
My own take is that South Lakes is probably a pretty decent high school and that most (but not all) parents and students who have chosen the school have had positive experiences.

Right now, South Lakes has more students assigned to the school who are "pupil placing" out to other high schools than any other high school in Fairfax County (85); the runner-up has 68 out-placements. That is mostly due to a recent redistricting that did not sit well with the redistricted communities for a number of reasons (IMHO, it was not simply racism, as some of the proponents of the redistricting claimed). As a result, a lot of students reassigned to South Lakes from Oakton and Madison took advantage of procedures allowing them to "pupil place" back to the schools to which they previously would have been assigned.

My own expectation would be that this number will come down considerably in the future, as the affected areas adjust to the new boundaries.

Last edited by JD984; 04-04-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,156 times
If you're willing to spend up to your limit, I'd strongly consider the City of Falls Church. (Not to be confused with the faux Falls Church section of Fairfax County that adjoins the city). You'll have a slightly longer commute than if you lived in Reston or Vienna, but Falls Church is a much more compact area, so there will be less day to day driving for household errands. George Mason HS, which serves the City of Falls Church, is excellent and smaller than most Fairfax public high schools. There is a Whole Foods and TJ, plus lots of little ethnic restaurants. The W&OD bike path runs right through the community, and can take you into downtown DC, down to Mount Vernon, or way out past Purcellville. Or to Reston, if you'd like to bike to work. There are two Metro stops adjacent to Falls Church, and getting into DC is very easy. Your kids could walk to school, maybe (both George Mason and one of the elementary schools are actually located in Fairfax County), but any bus ride would be short. There is a community swim and tennis club, and the usual youth sports. If your kids are on travel teams, however, you will not be able to avoid driving all over for practices, games, meets, etc.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,093 times
There are too many to name, the easier question would have been where to avoid-the list would be shorter, it all depends on what you are looking for. Most all of NOVA is safe, but some areas are more desirable than others-especially if you have children. Have fun shopping around-NOVA is a great area.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 PM

446 posts, read 1,648,552 times
Vienna is by far going to be the best bet based on what you have written. James Madison HS is a good 9-12 high school. The bike trail is there right next to a big Whole Foods Market and across from a fountain and memorial paying tribute to the armed forces.

Reston has a lot of good things about it, yes, but there are more low income people there and that may not be to your liking. Of course, there are still million dollar homes in Reston and involved civic associations, etc., but Vienna is going to be more homogenous as a whole socio-economically speaking so to speak.

This should look a lot clearer when you come out here for a site visit!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,342 times
How about Mantua?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia