Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 47,855 times

Advertisements

I thought they were going to tear down Landmark Mall to redevelop it into a mix-use neighborhood or something like that. Condo units on top of stores, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,329 times
Quote:
Town centers are nice, but indoor shipping malls have plenty of appeal, too
Absolutely. Through most of my 20s, I vastly preferred "anything but the mall." I could literally go years in between visits to indoor malls, and I didn't miss them.

Having a toddler in the house this past winter, though...wow, did that change things! Fair Oaks Mall just about saved my sanity, between the play area and just giving me somewhere with a lot of open space to walk with my child. And while we certainly didn't go there every day, the days we did go there it was hopping.

I think that, as with most things, a good answer lies with balance. The problem with the latter half of the 20th century was that they only built indoor malls, and many areas became saturated with them.

Where I grew up - not a very big or spendy region - there were two big indoor malls almost right across the street from each other. If you go to one of those malls today, you think, "Oh God, why did we ever imagine the indoor mall was a good idea? This place is a ghost town and a wreck!" Storefronts are vacant, the food court is gone, it's so sad. But if you go down the street to the other mall, you think, "This isn't a bad place to hang out." The stores are busy and bright and full and clean. A world of difference in half a mile. But that's the point - you don't need two nearly identical shopping structures within half a mile of each other. Had one of these malls been planned as a "town center," they would probably both be thriving instead of just one of them.

I'd like to think that the future has a good mix of indoor and outdoor centers, at least in places like NoVA where the weather can turn on you for long periods. We just need to be smart about it.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Absolutely. Through most of my 20s, I vastly preferred "anything but the mall." I could literally go years in between visits to indoor malls, and I didn't miss them.
LOL, I was exactly the same way. Funny how things change as you get older. When I was in my 20s I was convinced I'd always feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
But that's the point - you don't need two nearly identical shopping structures within half a mile of each other. Had one of these malls been planned as a "town center," they would probably both be thriving instead of just one of them.

I'd like to think that the future has a good mix of indoor and outdoor centers, at least in places like NoVA where the weather can turn on you for long periods. We just need to be smart about it.
I like this argument. It's practical. And you're absolutely right, a variety of places attracts the most shoppers. Something for everyone. You know, if the owner does decide to redesign the center maybe they could convert some of the empty stores into places to do things (rather than simply places to shop). A place to race model cars, maybe, or a little mini golf course. Or a place with a bunch of Wiis set up so you can play on them in the store. That might bring in customers.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Where's the nearest Dave & Buster's to Landmark? It looks like the only one in ALL of Virginia is in Richmond. That would most certainly do wonders to boost foot traffic and breathe new life into the facility.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Where's the nearest Dave & Buster's to Landmark? It looks like the only one in ALL of Virginia is in Richmond. That would most certainly do wonders to boost foot traffic and breathe new life into the facility.
White Flint Mall, in Bethesda.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:48 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You can have ground-level shops and restaurants, Class-A office space on the next few floors, and then mid-range to upper-class condos and apartments in the upper floors with impressive views.
That's more or less the plan (or at least was until the owner went bankrupt). The anchor stores (Sears, Macys, Lord and Taylor) are staying while the rest of the mall and parking lot get bulldozed and turned into a mixed-use town center.

Moving a Landmark Into a New Era - washingtonpost.com

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFile...D03Planweb.pdf

I agree that a Dave and Buster's would be a great addition, considering the nearest one is White Flint, and that one is always packed. Where I'm from, near Philadelphia, a Dave and Buster's and other restaurants were added to a dying mall and business seems to have picked up a bit.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Do you think that an outdoor, town center type place would work well with Old Town so close? If people are looking for that kind of shopping experience, wouldn't they just go to Old Town? Then again, if they're looking for a mall they can just hop over to Crystal City.
I think Old Town and the revitalized Landmark would draw people for different reasons. Old Town is tourist-y and has mostly independent shops and restaurants. People go to eat and appreciate the quaintness but most NoVA residents don't do that much shopping there.

Landmark would be less quaint, more chain stores, more of a place where the average person might visit to buy clothes, housewares, etc. It would keep the department stores, and add restaurants, offices, and new apartments to draw people in. It would be loosely modeled after Pentagon Row or Reston, and be competing with those locations, as well as Springfield and Tysons. One of the keys to the project is getting enough apartment and office space so that there are always people around to buy stuff and eat in the restaurants.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:29 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
Springfield mall is being revitalized, so Landmark better do something or it'll get further edged out the market. Landmark is not that far from Springfield so it'd be easy to draw the crowd to it.

Springfield Town Center | Springfield Mall is being transformed into a destination town center.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 PM

More tough news for Landmark: The Lord and Taylor in the mall is closing July 12th.

washingtonpost.com

Old 05-30-2009, 05:07 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
More tough news for Landmark: The Lord and Taylor in the mall is closing July 12th.

washingtonpost.com
I wonder what else has to fall on the city's head before they move into action.

Hopefully I can snap a few pics of the new Peninsula town center in Hampton while i'm on my trip next week and post them so that Alexandria can have a little inspiration. Trust me both areas are very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia