Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 PM

125 posts, read 404,404 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
We are here in NOVA and looking at houses and we are debating the Vienna, close commute, town atmosphere vs. Fairfax Station suburban and lengthier commute.
Today we looked at a house in South Run. Nice area but we are concerned with the commute. Here's my question:
How long does the commute from SR to Franconia-Springfield Metro down 7100 take? It is approx 8 mi and today, took us 9min. While that was nice, we are sure things will change in am weekday traffic.
Also, we read that it takes 58 min to get from F-S station to L'Enfant in DC. Is this true? There was a connection from Blue line to Yellow...that might be it.
So, if someone out there is from around that area and knows the answer, I'd appreciate it!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
I think that L'enfant plaza is on the orange line, the line from Vienna.

The subway is not quick, particularly if you have to change trains.

Sorry, I can't help you with the rest.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
The Parkway can get backed up but it really depends on what time you are on it. One thing I would look for is a good red light for entering and exit the parkway. Your return trip you will be making a left turn off the Parkway, there are some streets that you will have to travel past and and then make a uturn or go down another street which can add time.

L'enfant Plaze is serviced by the the Blue, Orange and Yellow lines, and I think maybe the green as well. Best bet...(really the only quick way) is to take Blue and get off at King street, switch to yellow, cross the river and you are there.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
L'Enfant Plaza is where the Blue, Yellow and Orange lines meet.

Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map

Metro has a trip planner:

Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

Traffic is a little easier in the West Springfield/Burke/Fairfax Station area. The roads are a bit better at handling traffic, and many people use the bus services out here (there are several routes that take people directly to the Pentagon or the F-S Metro Station--sometimes the bus to the Pentagon Metro stop is faster). You can catch the Yellow line from the Pentagon station.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 AM

thanks Fern435! That's a nice planner.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
You might also look into commuting via the VRE. I'm pretty sure you could use either the Burke Centre or Rolling Road station to get to L'Enfant.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

56 posts, read 196,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You might also look into commuting via the VRE. I'm pretty sure you could use either the Burke Centre or Rolling Road station to get to L'Enfant.
I'll second that recommendation. I would look at how close you are to the Burke Center VRE station. Your ride would be about 45 min to L'Enfant Plaza.

Here's a link to VRE http://www.vre.org/service/staloc.htm.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
I'll second that recommendation. I would look at how close you are to the Burke Center VRE station. Your ride would be about 45 min to L'Enfant Plaza.

Here's a link to VRE Service Information - Virginia Railway Express.
Same here. I was going to suggest checking into VRE. I believe Rolling Road would be closer to South Run and the ride is 40 mins to L'Enfant. Parking is free. The one downside of VRE are the hours--if you have to work late.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 PM

funny! I was just coming on here to ask about the VRE. My husband went in to DC today to where he'll be working and they told him about this. Seems like a nice option and he thought there weren't as many stops. Does it break down often?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
The trains don't seem to do well when it gets hot which is normally May through September. This year we've had more cool days that what is normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia