Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:02 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well when you can't really afford a newspaper subscription Channel 8 will just have to do! Next year when I get my $10,000 salary bump I hope to subscribe to the Washington Post.
Don't forget you can read the Post for free at the library or online. But WaPo isn't that great anymore, IMO.

I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, and that gives me my fix for national news. I get my local news from the local free papers--IMO they do a much better job of reporting things like zoning changes and new laws going into effect. Unfortunately I don't know which are the best papers in your neck of the woods--I know more about the papers in Loudoun--but of the ones I've read in your area the Reston Times is pretty good, and the Observer has a fair amount of local news.

In Loudoun we have a paper called The Independent that has all sorts of news I never see anywhere else--I'm willing to bet there's a similar publication in Farfax County. As I recall there was some local publication you were enthralled with a few weeks ago. Maybe that can be one of your primary news sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Forget that. The Post, and other local papers, all have websites. Read them for free.
Absolutely! I get Sunday-only Post just for the coupons.

In Loudoun we have an overabundance of free local weeklies - the Loudoun Easterner (for which I was once a community columnist), the Loudoun Independent, the Loudoun Times-Mirror, Ashburn Today/Leesburg Today, and the once-monthly Middleburg Eccentric. With the exception of the Middleburg paper, which is rather "eccentric," the freebies have mostly the same stories. There must be some similar papers in Fairfax County.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
In Loudoun we have an overabundance of free local weeklies - the Loudoun Easterner (for which I was once a community columnist).
That's why I know you!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew there was something familiar about you. I remember your column. Why did you give it up, you did a really great job with it. By the way, how did you get that gig? I've sometimes thought it would be a fun thing to do myself.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well when you can't really afford a newspaper subscription Channel 8 will just have to do! Next year when I get my $10,000 salary bump I hope to subscribe to the Washington Post.
You're an auditor, I'm sure you can find a way to take newspaper subscriptions off your taxes.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That's why I know you!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew there was something familiar about you. I remember your column. Why did you give it up, you did a really great job with it. By the way, how did you get that gig? I've sometimes thought it would be a fun thing to do myself.
They had an ad in the paper one week saying that they'd like to have columnists from Brambleton and Broadlands. I went in to interview and proved to them that I "have my finger on the pulse of Brambleton" (ha ha! - I have a kind of weird local notoriety - I was a Jeopardy! champion three years ago, plus I have the second-highest post count on the unofficial Brambleton message board. I know a LOT of people here, including BTC merchants and HOA management). I liked doing it, but they wanted to move away from "calendar items," and there wasn't much else going on around here (particularly in the summertime). They also didn't want the community columnists to give businesses any mention without it being tied to something (like a charity event), but a lot of Brambleton news revolves around what's opening (or closing, unfortunately) in the town center. I quit writing it around the time I met the first writer of the Living in LoCo blog for the Loudoun Extra, and I wrote a couple of guest blogs for them, but then she left and they changed how they were doing the blog. Then I started my own silly little blog but I let it slide. I live for local knowledge... and I'm a research fiend with a Master's in Library and Information Science that's not being formally employed these days... so that's how I ended up here at City-Data!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Absolutely! I get Sunday-only Post just for the coupons.
That's what we do. Coupons and ads (and sometimes the travel tips) are just about the only reason to buy the Post anymore.

That's so cool that you were on Jeopardy. Any chance that you could post a link to the show you were on? I'd love to see it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
That's so cool that you were on Jeopardy. Any chance that you could post a link to the show you were on? I'd love to see it.
Oh, I'd like to see that too.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Default Day Late and a Dollar Short

I just finished listening to The Politics Hour, a weekly feature on Fridays on the Kojo Nnamdi show on WAMU 88.5FM. Had an interview with Sharon Bulova, Chairwoman, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors regarding the county/city issue. Now that the show is over I remembered that it would be of interest to SB. Oh well... next Friday at noon.

The Kojo show is a local tradition (just celebrated its 10th anniversary) and The Politics Hour is one of its most popular features.

WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Kojo Nnamdi Show for Friday July 10, 2009

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

I love me some Kojo!

I really need to get my episodes off the TiVo, but I haven't done it yet. (Seriously, they aired 3.5 years ago, and they're still sitting there.) There is, however, J-Archive - a wonderful site that documents every Jeopardy! episode. Here's my contestant page - you can click on the links to the individual games to see the horrifying detail. I don't have confirmation, but I believe that it was the first nationally televised mention of Brambleton. My "hometown howdy" (the ad blurb they make you record and provide to your local station, but WJLA never runs them) sounds stupid now but at the time Tai Shan was a newborn and quite the celebrity.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
You know, I always wondered how people referred to where they live if they were from Loudoun. So you actually said Brambleton! That deserves a thumbs up.

I like it when people recognize the names of large developments (instead of just saying "I live in Loudoun County.") They're basically serving the function of cities here, we should call them by name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia