Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,209 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I recently graduated and started a job located at Ft. Belvoir off-post. I commute from Stafford currently and am interested in moving to the Woodbridge area in the not too distant future.

Unlike many my age, I am not looking to rent a room or condo, I would prefer to invest in a house or townhouse. It seems a townhouse would be more realistic for my price range, which is no more than 190-200k.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods or developments would be appreciated. I am not too concerned with school districts for the next 4-5 years as I don't plan on having kids, but would prefer a decent safe neighborhood

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM

131 posts, read 426,176 times
I think belmont bay would be ideal for you. Potomac club would be an option but more expensive. You're probably aware that there aren't many single professionals anywhere in woodbridge though.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post
I think belmont bay would be ideal for you. Potomac club would be an option but more expensive. You're probably aware that there aren't many single professionals anywhere in woodbridge though.
From what I can see Belmont Bay looks very nice, but 225,000 for a condo not sure I can afford that. Of course I haven't actually talked to a lender yet to see what I could get approved for but still. I will definitely check it out though!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,977 times
I don't know--seems like it would be tough to be a young professional in Woodbridge when all the action is up in Arlington and DC.

That being said, the most important question here is.....can you manage the loan payment on a house alongside all the repairs and insurance and everything else that comes with home ownership? Sometimes that can be a lot to swallow when you have just graduated. Best to be debt free with a six month emergency fund before you even go see a realtor.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
Check out Lake Ridge. There are affordable townhouses there. My friend just bought an investment property for $175k and then turned around and rented it out to the previous owners (it was a shortsale).

I just recently bought a foreclosure in the Harbors of Newport for $162.5k. It needs work, but by the time I'm done I don't think I'll spend $15k on it. It's an older house built in the late 70's, but it's in a good neighborhood and a larger lot than a lot of the newer "starter homes". If you don't want to do as much yard work or maintenance, then look at a townhome.

There are young professionals in Woodbridge. I'm one. I'm turning 29 on Saturday. I've worked IT in DC and Alexandria, but now work in Manassas. It's not a bad time to buy a house and you'll qualify for the 8k first time buyers credit if you buy before the end of the year. Good luck to you.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 PM

12 posts, read 63,015 times
Potomac Club is a nice community and commuting from Woodbridge into DC isn't all that bad with the Metro and VRE options.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Default o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Check out Lake Ridge. There are affordable townhouses there. My friend just bought an investment property for $175k and then turned around and rented it out to the previous owners (it was a shortsale).

I just recently bought a foreclosure in the Harbors of Newport for $162.5k. It needs work, but by the time I'm done I don't think I'll spend $15k on it. It's an older house built in the late 70's, but it's in a good neighborhood and a larger lot than a lot of the newer "starter homes". If you don't want to do as much yard work or maintenance, then look at a townhome.

There are young professionals in Woodbridge. I'm one. I'm turning 29 on Saturday. I've worked IT in DC and Alexandria, but now work in Manassas. It's not a bad time to buy a house and you'll qualify for the 8k first time buyers credit if you buy before the end of the year. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your reply. I was hesitant on the seemingly "too cheap" townhouses I have browsed through in that area. The price is awesome, and I'm glad to hear from someone who has had experience in that area and at that price point. Every day I commute from Stafford I am convinced a little more to move before the end of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia