Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 48,636 times

Advertisements

We have just moved to Manassas from Florida. In Florida, our 2 year-old daughter received speech therapy through Early Steps in FL and we would like to continue receiving services here. Can anyone tell me about their experience with Child Find, specifically in Manassas City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Contact the school system. Are you living in the City of Manassas or Prince William County? The reason I ask is they are two differrent school systems so you need to know which one to call. If you have an IEP from Florida, let them know and it will probably expedite it. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times
Wouldn't it still be an IFSP at that point? Don't know if that would make a difference...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 48,636 times
Thank you! I have put a call in to the Manassas City school system and my daughter's caseworker from Florida has sent her file. I'm just wondering if it works that same as it did in FL from here on out as far as getting connected with a speech therapist. Will the therapist come to our house or my daughter's daycare or do we have to go somewhere (a school?) to meet with them?
Thanks again for the info!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times
Each state can implement IDEA how they want but from my understanding as long as you're still on an IFSP they should come to your child.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
My child got speech through Child Find here in Fairfax County and they came to us or they would have done it at her preschool, but I preferred in our home (I had to push for this, though). I don't know if this is standard across Virginia counties or not, but my understanding is that they do not offer free services in the summer. Perhaps it depends on level of need? I thought that was a bit strange. My sister works in early intervention in Pennsylvania, and it's year-round there. And as with everything else, you might really need to advocate for what you want. It sounds like you're probably good to go since you already have a file on your daughter, but there still may be roadblocks. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 PM

218 posts, read 547,200 times
My child went through chidlfind in PW county many years ago and they came to us. It was standard and when he started Kindergarten they just had speech therapy in school. My daycare provider's 3 yr old just got approved for speech therapy but it has to be at her community's elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia