Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times

Advertisements

I'm a fed and the only way to get my grades and move up in my career is to move to DC. I don't know how I will like it. I'm living in a smallish to medium Florida metro now. I find it very boring and I'm ready for a change. I grew up in the Miami area so I'm quite familiar with big city ills such as high crime, traffic, expensive cost of living. So either two things are going to happen. I'll ether find I like it the DC area and all the different things to do or I'm going to hate it, put in my time to get my grades and then apply all over the country to get the hell out.

I'd like to be close to young singles. So is Arlington on the metro line where it's at for me? I'll rent for at least a few years until I decide whether my home lies in the DC area or elsewhere. Can I get a 1br.1ba on the metro for under $1500/month? I'd be making about $60,000 to start and hopefully be on track to make closer to $90,000 within 2 years on the Grade 11-13 track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:38 PM

313 posts, read 551,800 times
logy,

you're gonna be pushing it at 1500 a month in arlington on the metro...lowest I've seen on craigslist is 1400 for a 1br 1ba...

Old 09-07-2009, 05:41 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
logy,

you're gonna be pushing it at 1500 a month in arlington on the metro...lowest I've seen on craigslist is 1400 for a 1br 1ba...
.....aaaand that's why everyone and their mother has roommates.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
What about Alexandria? Would something on the metro there get me closer to $1000 a month? The job is near the Smithsonian Station in DC. Anything on the Blue or Orange line would take me right there.

There would be no parking where I would work, just an employee organized carpool so finding something to rent on the metro would be ideal.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
What about Alexandria? Would something on the metro there get me closer to $1000 a month? The job is near the Smithsonian Station in DC. Anything on the Blue or Orange line would take me right there.

There would be no parking where I would work, just an employee organized carpool so finding something to rent on the metro would be ideal.
About 2 years ago my husband rented an apartment in Alexandria, about a mile or so from the Van Dorn station for about $900. I think those have been since turned into condos. After that we moved to the EOS 21 apartments, which were also around $1100 a month. I believe they have done renovations since we've been there, but the prices seem to be about the same. When we were there they were fine - nothing amazing, but clean and well run.

Looking at the website, they look much nicer than when we were there.

http://eos-21.com/Floorplans.aspx (broken link)

Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
For $1500, you can get a nice 1BR apt in all of Alexandria except perhaps Old Town, excluding perhaps some condo rentals. If you paying less than $1000 for any apartment inside the Beltway, you're likely living in the private entry basement of an homeowner or there is something amiss with the surroundings if not even the property itself.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Don't know anything about prices but all the young, 20-somethings I know live or want to live in Clarendon.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,994 times
It will be very hard to get a one bedroom/one bath on the metro for under $1500/month---unless it's a pit. Clarendon is a great area for young professionals, but it's expensive. To echo an earlier post, this is why roomates are so common for 20-ish professionals. I lived in Annandale is a definitely not-great apartment not within walking distance of a metro and paid $1300/month 4 years ago. I lived in Alexandria right next to a metro station before that---in an apt. that we leased for $1200 and it was definitely not an area I'd recommend to a young professional either.
Definitely no offense to the person who posted about EOS complex, but I don't think that's what you're looking for--it's not in a great area and certainly not easily metro accessible unless you want a fairly decent walk each morning and night.
I'd suggest sticking to Clarendon maybe looking at a roomie situation if you can't find anything for your rent limit. Clarendon is great for people who are professional, young and interested in having an accessible social life.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM

373 posts, read 821,305 times
You will have NO problem finding an apartment for $1500 in a good neighborhood. Even Arlington has 1br apartments in that range that are NOT dumps, they just aren't the luxury highrises with an elevator that drops you off inside the metro station. Look on homesdatabase for private rentals -- you might even be able to find nice 2br rentals in close-in neighborhoods in your price range if you skip the flashy advertising and look at realtor listings. Craigslist is perhaps the worst place to find reasonably priced housing.

Pentagon City might work for you, as it is a relatively short ride to Smithsonian. Even better would be to live in the District along the Blue line. Despite it being the default rec for anyone asking about where to live as a young person, I don't care for Clarendon or other parts of Arlington along the Orange line. These days it has very little character and too much of a "recent college graduates refusing to let go of greek life" vibe to me. But then again, I haven't been 22 in a while, so ymmv.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

161 posts, read 499,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I'm a fed and the only way to get my grades and move up in my career is to move to DC. I don't know how I will like it. I'm living in a smallish to medium Florida metro now. I find it very boring and I'm ready for a change. I grew up in the Miami area so I'm quite familiar with big city ills such as high crime, traffic, expensive cost of living. So either two things are going to happen. I'll ether find I like it the DC area and all the different things to do or I'm going to hate it, put in my time to get my grades and then apply all over the country to get the hell out.

I'd like to be close to young singles. So is Arlington on the metro line where it's at for me? I'll rent for at least a few years until I decide whether my home lies in the DC area or elsewhere. Can I get a 1br.1ba on the metro for under $1500/month? I'd be making about $60,000 to start and hopefully be on track to make closer to $90,000 within 2 years on the Grade 11-13 track.
I don't know what everyone is talking about, that you can't find a nice apt or condo in Arlington for under $1500. We have friends living on the Orange line in a 1 bed/1ba condo on the 20th floor for $1100.00. It's practically right above the orange line, and it's not a dump.

It would be best to find a condo that is owned by a private landlord, then to rent from an Apt complex. Those Apt complexes are usually alot higher than the private owned condos. You most definitely will be able to find for under $1500.00 without having to be far from metro, or having to look in Alexandria. Since you are single, I suggest living along the Orange line in Arlington. GL. you'll love the Arlington/DC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia