Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,701 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I live in Vienna, but are looking to move closer to the city so we have a more equiptable commute (he works in Mclean, I work in downtown DC). We own in Vienna, but are willing to rent or buy our next place. Here are our constraints:
--fun, safe neighborhood with high walkability,
--good schools
--couples in a similar stage of life (early 30's, will probably start our family soon)

I know Arlington is an obvious choice, but we both lived in N. Arlington group houses there in our 20's, and I guess I'm having trouble understanding what it's like to live there as a family.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

please pardon any errors from this first-time poster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times
Well, Arlington isn't a big place per se, but there's a wide variety in terms of what Arlington's neighborhoods have to offer.

If I were in your situation, I would look at the Westover neighborhood on Washington Blvd between the EFC and Ballston stations. I think there are a lot of couples there with young children, and while I can't say anything about the local elementary school, I know the area feeds into Yorktown, which is Arlington's most highly regarded high school. There's a small commercial center with a number of good restaurants (Lebanese Taverna, Lost Dog Cafe) and a post office, and it's got a very nice neighborhood-y feel that you won't find in most places around here.

If your husband is commuting to McLean, it won't be a bad commute, and he could probably drop you off at the EFC metro a mile away on his way to work.

I don't know how much houses there cost, but there's definitely a wide range of housing stock, from small older (1940's?) houses and newer in-fill. The ZIP Code for the area is 22205, if you want to take a look at some listings online.

About Westover should give you a brief introduction to the neighborhood.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,867 times
I was also thinking Westover. Lots of young families there. The housing stock is mostly old, but the neighborhood is great.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Westover is very nice, I agree.
You could also consider the City of Falls Church, which meets all of your criteria. Your housing budget will probably be your biggest constraint.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
You will lose SO MUCH money by moving. Is a commute from Vienna all that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia