Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 AM

17 posts, read 91,963 times

Advertisements

I am just curious if anyone knows anything about foxchase apartments in Alexandria? There are bad reviews of it online, but I think that when people reviews most of the time, it's because they had a bad experience and if they had a good experience then they wouldn't have gone online and rated the apartment. I'm going to be getting an apartment there that's renovated and on the 2nd floor. I'm just mainly worried about crime. There were people on this rating site that said they got their apartment broken into and saw people getting robbed on the street outside the building. Does anyone have any information about this area? Any info would be great. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,450 times
I used to live there some 15 years ago (love it then), so I can't comment on today's crime. However if the apartment is on the main street (name escapes me at the moment), beware, as it's the road leading to the Alexandria hospital - we had ambulances running down the street in the middle of the night several times a week.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
I used to live there some 15 years ago (love it then), so I can't comment on today's crime. However if the apartment is on the main street (name escapes me at the moment), beware, as it's the road leading to the Alexandria hospital - we had ambulances running down the street in the middle of the night several times a week.
That main street you're thinking of is Duke Street aka Route 236. It doesn't surprise me that you'd hear a lot of noise coming off there.

I believe we have at least one or two recent renters at Foxchase on this forum who could share their thoughts as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Actually the street between Foxchase apts. and heading to the hospital is N. Jordan (off Duke St.) and then onto Howard which the hospital is on. You do hear noise from Duke Street also, since it is a main drag - I think most folks get used to it and tune it out. I don't know that there are many crimes there, I get the crime reports and I mostly see the occasional car breakins. The area is close to me and they keep the the grounds nicely, it's always clean, etc. - If I was apartment hunting I'd feel safe there.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM

The apartment will be near the back of the complex off of taney ave. So hopefully there won't be too much crime/noise around there.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:17 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
I had friends there and never felt unsafe walking back to my car at night. I don't consider it a dangerous area at all. You might read about the very occasional mugging but it's not the type of area where it's a common problem.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,703 times
Not a bad area, but the apartment interiors were pretty old imho. Especially the kitchens.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 PM

they say the apartment is renovated with stainless steel refrigerator, stove, washer/dryer, and dishwasher. So I'm starting to feel a little better about it now.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
They are really old buildings....World War II era. They used to be called the Shirley Duke Apartments.

I lived there for a year or so in '73-'74. Raleigh Avenue...rent was $105 a month. It was really ghetto back then....but I was a Arlington cop at the time, so I was well armed...LOL.

After the Foxchase renovation, they were pretty nice....but the renovation has to have been at least 25 years ago...

Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
They are really old buildings....World War II era. They used to be called the Shirley Duke Apartments.

I lived there for a year or so in '73-'74. Raleigh Avenue...rent was $105 a month. It was really ghetto back then....but I was a Arlington cop at the time, so I was well armed...LOL.

After the Foxchase renovation, they were pretty nice....but the renovation has to have been at least 25 years ago...
Yep...sorry to date my young age, but they still have the stoves you light with a match in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia