Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 10:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

As most of you know I'm moving (this one is set in stone) out of Alexandria to the Louisville metro area. Now my household has a firm date of 5/15/10 to be out of VA and to KY.

Now I have a question. If I'm leaving in May do I still have to pay a tax bill for the City of Alexandria for 2010-2011? The last thing I want to do is give Alexandria City more of my tax dollars to mismanage and by the time the the tax bills go out I'll already have my Kentucky plates and license and probably paying my car tax there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I think the car tax is paid in arrears, not in advance.

You may owe them for Jan '10 thru May '10 though.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,389 times
Are you asking if they're going to chase you down in October of next year to pay your bill (if you don't pay it)? Because I think it's quite likely that it will go to a collection agency automatically so it may impact your credit rating.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Are you asking if they're going to chase you down in October of next year to pay your bill (if you don't pay it)? Because I think it's quite likely that it will go to a collection agency automatically so it may impact your credit rating.
Oh I'll pay the bill if I have to. I want as little to do with the City of Alexandria as possible and won't mind paying them a few dollars to completely cut ties with them.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
The tax is based on where the car is garaged on Jan 1st. I appealed my 07 tax based on moving to Maryland in jan 07; lost bc the lease started Jan 2nd. Fairfax county sent me back the text of the law, but they were kind enough to waive the late fee I'd say that was only fairfax, but I have a similar story of 2001 and Montgomery county, so I assume it's statewide

Old 10-25-2009, 06:42 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,389 times
I don't "think" so - since when I moved a car into virginia in august I was taxed from Aug - December on the new car and from Jan - August on the old car.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
We sold a van recently and were only charged for the time we owned it.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
If you move out of State, get your vehicle registered ASAP and send the City of Alexandria a copy of your Kentucky registration to prove your out of State. Otherwise, they will still think you reside in Alexndria and continue to tax you. Until you register your vehicle in KY you are still liable to the Alexandria taxes. Furthermore, if you don't contact them and don't pay your bills, they will charge late fees.

They'll probably still send you a bill after you move but keep writing and/or calling them if you need to let them know you moved.

The rule is that so long as your vehicle is registered in VA, your liable to that tax. If, for example, someone moves to another VA county, they need to prove they have registered in that County and paying on the 'new' County's taxes.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
If you move out of State, get your vehicle registered ASAP and send the City of Alexandria a copy of your Kentucky registration to prove you are out of State. Otherwise, they will still think you reside in Alexandria and continue to tax you. Until you register your vehicle in KY you are still liable to the Alexandria taxes. Furthermore, if you don't contact them and don't pay your bills, they will charge late fees.

They'll probably still send you a bill after you move but keep writing and/or calling them if you need to let them know you moved.

The rule is that so long as your vehicle is registered in VA, your liable to that tax. If, for example, someone moves to another VA county, they need to prove they have registered in that County and paying on the 'new' County's taxes.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Oh here is a better answer, straight from the source: Frequently Asked Questions | Finance | City of Alexandria, VA
Quote:
Please note that even if you move out or sell/donate your vehicle during the year, you will still owe partial-year personal property taxes.
turns out some VA localities prorate for the year and others don't. Guess I got unlucky with both Fairfax and Mongomery. Alexandria inplies they prorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia