Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Great idea. I saw a part of an episode from Houston last night where they were looking at these large sfhs for $150,000. The guy was complaining about how for $150,000, he expected a much bigger yard. I wanted to punch the screen.
It is sickening sometimes. But then I just tell myself I would be making less money there. And would have to live in Houston(or whatever low cost of living location is making me jealous).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM

244 posts, read 565,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
First they should fly them to Atlanta or Houston or somewhere just to show them what they could buy elsewhere, then bring them back to start hunting (a la "Property Brothers").
What's the point? How is that rational in any way given that real estate is highly local?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM

244 posts, read 565,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It is sickening sometimes. But then I just tell myself I would be making less money there. And would have to live in Houston(or whatever low cost of living location is making me jealous).
It's okay to think about these things - one of the largest pitfalls of life is staying in one place and not daring to move to somewhere you would enjoy more. After doing extensive traveling for work at a younger age, I really fell in love with the Northern Virginia area. It matches my needs the best. Texas was nice too though. I loved going to Stars games, beer, steak, BBQ. Some of the nicest people. Late nights and La Quinta Inns... oh the memories.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
It's okay to think about these things - one of the largest pitfalls of life is staying in one place and not daring to move to somewhere you would enjoy more. After doing extensive traveling for work at a younger age, I really fell in love with the Northern Virginia area. It matches my needs the best. Texas was nice too though. I loved going to Stars games, beer, steak, BBQ. Some of the nicest people. Late nights and La Quinta Inns... oh the memories.
I agree people shouldn't be scared to move if they feel their life isn't fulfilling enough in a certain area, as daunting as it may seem to move. I think there are many places I could be just as happy as I am here but without a motivating reason like a job offer or something it doesn't seem worth it since I'm happy here. Not to mention my kids' grandparents would probably be livid.

I visited Houston once and can't say I was a fan but I have heard good things about other parts, like Austin.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM

136 posts, read 222,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
True. I know that, but I just didn't want someone to get mad at me for what they saw as a criticism of Houston or wherever. Personally, I would probably make the same amount of money there, but you're right, I wouldn't want to move to Houston.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Alexandria is scheduled to be the focus on tomorrow night's (4/3) episode.
Ahh, I completely forgot about this. I'm sure it will be replayed or I can catch it on demand.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM

301 posts, read 691,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
Ahh, I completely forgot about this. I'm sure it will be replayed or I can catch it on demand.
I caught it...my wife was really annoyed by the male homebuyer (the husband) on the show...she said he was worse than a woman with all of his demands.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
What's the point? How is that rational in any way given that real estate is highly local?
It was a joke. HGTV is just filled with shows about people who want granite counters and 4000 sf homes for pennies.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM

513 posts, read 961,639 times
Fact is once you leave Northern Va and exclude NYC, LA, San Francisco and mabye 3 other markets, 350K buys you a great home in most parts of the country. In DC your living in a condo or TH.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Today I caught up with Wednesday's episode of House Hunters which featured a 24YO male Army Vet and grad student who had been living with his parents in Stafford and had saved to find a home closer to his job in Fairfax City. He looked at one home in Fairfax itself and two out in Loudoun County. I won't spoil the ending for those who want to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia