Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 15,080 times

Advertisements

Hello .. We will be relocating to Norther VA from Richmond, VA in the next 4 months. My husband has taken up a job in McLean, VA. We currently live in Glen Allen, VA. Glen Allen is in Henrico county and has excellent public schools. You can get a new Single Family home for ard 400K
What arecomparable places near McLean where we can plan to buy a Single Family home in a good school district (our daughter starts Elementary school next year) ?
Please provide your thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 05:49 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
McLean is in Fairfax County, which has an excellent (if extremely large) school system. However, you cannot buy a new sfh in McLean, or anywhere in Fairfax County, for $400,000.
If you want new construction in that price range, you'll have to move much farther out -- in Loudon County or beyond.
If your husband would prefer a shorter commute, you can buy a sfh in communities near McLean (Falls Church, Annandale, Vienna, Burke) at prices starting around $500,000, but these will be houses at least 35 years old, in need of some renovation.
Hope this helps. This is an expensive area. If you know exactly where your husband's office will be, and how far he is willing to commute, you can get some more precise information from people here.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Ashburn in Loudoun county has good schools and more affordable housing than McLean and Fairfax. But your commute will be about 60min give or take!
I don't think you'll be able to get a new SFH in Ashburn for 400k.

Loudoun's market is soft right now and there are lots of builders so prices are better. You can go as far out as Leesburg and make it McLean in 60min on a GOOD day. There is some new housing in Leesburg (SFH) going for around $425-450k.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 15,080 times
Thanks for your responses. My husband will be working at Freddie Mac, Jones Branch dr, McLean. We would like a commute of 20 mts (normal) to 40 mts (in high traffic) for him.
I plan to get some part time or work from home options. We are willing to look for homes between 500- 600 k. Please provide some communities that are in great school districts in and around Falls Church, Annandale, Vienna, Burke.
Also, how is the commute form Hendon/Reston to McLean? Thanks again for the response. Appreciate it a lot.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Unless your husband will be working the night shift, he can expect to be in "high traffic" during both his morning and evening commutes, so you should plan on the 40 minute commute. Annandale and Burke might be beyond the 40 minute limit. Depending upon the particular part of Herndon or Reston you are considering, it might also be beyond the 40 minute limit.
I would look into Vienna, which is just down Route 123 from Tyson's. At 3 am, it would be 20 minutes or less; during rush hour it would be closer to 30. Maybe 40, depending upon the neighborhood and whether there is a "back road" option. I sat on Route 123 last week for an ungodly amount of time trying to travel the 3 miles from Tyson's to the Westwood Country Club in Vienna during rush hour. You could definitely buy a house in Vienna in that price range. I checked on realtor.com and found several dozen.
They are kind of small, and old, but most of the neighborhoods are very pleasant, with lots of trees. The high school in Vienna is James Madison, which has a great reputation.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,353 times
I live in Ashburn and there are plenty of people who live here and commute to McLean. The commute at 6:30 am is about an hour, after that, it varies day to day. McLean is very expensive and most people who work in that area commute from less expensive areas. The schools out here are very good and there are plenty of amenities. The homes here in the 500-600K range are newer than most of those in Vienna, McLean, etc. If you want a 20-40 minute commute, you'll need to stay within 10 miles of McLean at the most. Believe it or not, any more than 10 miles and your commute increases to 40+ minutes.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 60,216 times
If you are willing - you can get a nice townhouse in Fairfax County for about$400K. We live over by George Mason in a townhouse, and it's nice. If you decide to move to Fairfax, near Braddock road. Stay East of Rte 123. If you go West of it, you get stuck in George Mason traffic. The traffic just east of it, it not too bad. About 20 minutes to the Beltway, and then another 20 - 30minutes around the beltway to Tysons (where you're husband will be working).

The school district over here is Robinson.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 60,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1999 View Post
Thanks for your responses. My husband will be working at Freddie Mac, Jones Branch dr, McLean. We would like a commute of 20 mts (normal) to 40 mts (in high traffic) for him.
I'll add another comment onto that. You could literally live across the street from your office in McLean, and it may still take you 20 minutes to drive there. Plan on any commute being about an hour. That's just life here in Northern Virginia. It took me a VERY long time to get used to that fact.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb1999 View Post
I plan to get some part time or work from home options. We are willing to look for homes between 500- 600 k. Please provide some communities that are in great school districts in and around Falls Church, Annandale, Vienna, Burke.
Also, how is the commute form Hendon/Reston to McLean? Thanks again for the response. Appreciate it a lot.
There are many nice family neighborhoods within 30 min of McLean. Many in Burke, Fairfax and Vienna. As a licensed realtor in the state of Va, I would be happy to help you and your family. I have lived here for 20 years and have three school-aged children.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:22 AM

During rush hour, Burke would not be within 30 minutes of the Fannie Mae office at Tyson's. It could take 15 minutes just to get on the Beltway through the Tyson's traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia