Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Reston's great, but the OP wants newer construction. If they're interested in living as far out as Reston, they might as well go 5 miles further and live in Cascades, where everything is new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,468 times
Default Thank you for the wealth of info

Wow! I did not expect to receive so much help in such a short amount of time from you folks. Certainly it looks like NOVA is very friendly and full of helpful neighbors.

I would like to thank all of you for your informative (and very entertaining) responses. Scanbarre provided a superb description of Reston, we have stayed near Reston several times and your description is spot on for the parts we have seen, and you have opened our eyes up to parts we have not seen. Thank you to Normie for your wonderful photos of Lowes Island - it looks idyllic. The franklymls.com site that jeb77 suggested is awesome - I wish all real estate websites were this good. I think from the suggestions so far, we are thinking that the area around Sterling is starting to look like it may offer us what we are looking for in terms of the newer home, square footage, and price.

We really love the green space in the neighborhoods that were discussed. I can see my daughter going around hunting for monarch butterfly eggs or caterpillars in the milkweeds and raising them. We raised 4 monarchs this past summer/fall in NE Ohio and it was a magical experience for my daughter (and us) to see the eggs transform to beautiful butterflies which we released for (presumably their migration to Mexico). With our love of nature stuff, what we are kind of still having a harder time finding is a decent size backyard for gardening, fruit trees, and a butterfly garden for our daughter. Another interesting thing to do, that maybe I can take up beekeeping as a hobby... This is great for the fruit trees, and gives you local honey which can help with plant and pollen allergies (and tastes terrific on peanut butter sandwiches). A friend of mine raised bees while he was going to grad school in Texas and said he made good money selling not the honey but the pollen. How are the HOA's in these neighborhoods regarding being able to do stuff in your backyard like beekeeping?

Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM

42 posts, read 136,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
We really love the green space in the neighborhoods that were discussed. I can see my daughter going around hunting for monarch butterfly eggs or caterpillars in the milkweeds and raising them. We raised 4 monarchs this past summer/fall in NE Ohio and it was a magical experience for my daughter (and us) to see the eggs transform to beautiful butterflies which we released for (presumably their migration to Mexico). With our love of nature stuff, what we are kind of still having a harder time finding is a decent size backyard for gardening, fruit trees, and a butterfly garden for our daughter. Another interesting thing to do, that maybe I can take up beekeeping as a hobby... This is great for the fruit trees, and gives you local honey which can help with plant and pollen allergies (and tastes terrific on peanut butter sandwiches). A friend of mine raised bees while he was going to grad school in Texas and said he made good money selling not the honey but the pollen. How are the HOA's in these neighborhoods regarding being able to do stuff in your backyard like beekeeping?

Thanks again.
Hi Again--

I am not sure about the bees, but you can check the Cascades HOA rules on their website: Cascades Community Association - Welcome to Cascades Community Association's New Website

In regards to the backyards-- you may want to check into the Countryside area of Cascades. The homes are a little bit older though.. but the yards are bigger and some of the houses have amazing wrap around front porches. I looked on franklymls and there is nothing really on the market there--but here is a house that is under contract that will give you a feel for the yard sizes: LO7211674 on FranklyMLS.com 115 COPPER CT, STERLING VA for $523,999 in ENVIRONS Home For Sale

There are homes in the newer sections of Cascades that have bigger yards-- they are just a bit harder to come by... unfortunately if you look in Countryside, I am not sure about the larger walk out basements (for inlaw suites) and the newer construction you had mentioned.

Good luck!
Jen

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Another interesting thing to do, that maybe I can take up beekeeping as a hobby... This is great for the fruit trees, and gives you local honey which can help with plant and pollen allergies (and tastes terrific on peanut butter sandwiches). A friend of mine raised bees while he was going to grad school in Texas and said he made good money selling not the honey but the pollen. How are the HOA's in these neighborhoods regarding being able to do stuff in your backyard like beekeeping?
The Loudoun Beekeepers Association, Beekeepers Association of Northern Virginia, and the DCmetro Beekeepers would be good sources of info for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia