Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Wow, it's just not that easy. I cannot understand why someone is not allowed to vent about this area without everyone getting all hyper about it. NOVA has it's faults just like everyplace else and they need to be posted on here too. People need to be able to make a fair assessment before moving here.

They need to know there can be large amounts of snow that may cause issues.

They also need to know just because schools in the NOVA area makes some top 100 list doesn't mean they are a perfect fit for everyone. In my wildest dreams I would have never thought I would have just sent an email to the person who will be my 3rd graders teacher when we get home, and told her he was behind. For me I want to hear both the good and the bad, that way I am not surprised. Just my opinion.
ajzjmsmom, my sentiments exactly. I think this was a similar point that AlanBoy was trying to make (i.e., sharing information with people who are thinking of moving here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
That's because you're relatively new to this forum and d-fens has been quiet for a while. . .Apparently he gets a kick out of stirring up tension, . . . It is common for him to start bashing based on assumptions . . . .
Thanks for the info but from the looks of things -- what's that old saying? "It takes fuel to feed a fire?" And there have been plenty of folks fueling d-fens' fire . . . .

Quote:
You have to nip it in the bud, or he will just go on and on in a series of "you suck" posts until someone gives him the attention he craves.
And who are we? The NoVA-Guardians-of-Threads-We-Don't-Approve-Of?

Someone mentioned the irritability due to snow? I guess during this weekend with the predictions of 12"-24" we'll all be batting 1,000 and driving our Moderator crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Thanks for the info but from the looks of things -- what's that old saying? "It takes fuel to feed a fire?" And there have been plenty of folks fueling d-fens' fire . . . .
Fair enough, and you're right. I apologize.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
That's because you're relatively new to this forum and d-fens has been quiet for a while. You probably think he's a new poster with a legitimate gripe. We know him a little differently. What you don't realize is that he has quite a history here and I totally agree that he is very predictable. Apparently he gets a kick out of stirring up tension, so he waits until times when some people on the forum might get testy (like before a snowstorm). Then he goes through a series of bashing posts that are, yes, formulaic. It is common for him to start bashing based on assumptions (such as bashing VDOT before even waiting to see if the roads are plowed or not). You have to nip it in the bud, or he will just go on and on in a series of "you suck" posts until someone gives him the attention he craves.

Caladium I am acutally not new to the forum, I have been reading this forum for probably close to 1.5 yrs and nothing that I had read, prepared me for what this area is truly like.

Noone prepared me for the sheer amount of self-absorbed, snobbish people that I have contact in the area I live in. Noone smiles here, noone says good morning, and to me that is just sad that most are so absorbed with their lives that they can't spare the few seconds it takes to acknowledge anothers existence. It is sad to say that when someone actually does speak or even just smile it is a shock. It should speak volumes that there is actually a post on here that is about someone actually being nice.

Noone prepared me for the schools here, I thought from all the alcolades on here of how great schools were in NOVA that my kids would get a top-rate eduation for the time we have been here but that has not been the case. I almost wish I had never agreed to come here for this 6 months because both my hs child and elementary child will be behind. Sad since NM rates really low on the totem pole of education.

I have read dfens posts before, and I find it disheartening that someone is not allowed to speak out about the problems that are in this area without someone asking "who peed in your cornflakes."

Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Have you met everyone here? Then how can you say that noone smiles or says good morning - lol

Also, not to be mean but just because this area has good schools doesn't mean that every child will exceed. I'm not calling your child slow, but some people just have different learning styles.

What happened to this being a thread griping about the lack of snow maintenance? lol

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Oh and I got this from my BOCS:
Quote:
VDOT is responsible for snow removal on most county streets (some residential streets fall into the jurisdiction of HOAs). VDOT’s goal is to have all roads "passable" within 48 hours following the end of a storm. They start with Interstates and then move onto Primary and Secondary (subdivision) streets. In other words, they should get to your street, but it may take them some time, particularly if the snow accumulations are heavier than usual.

In the event your street has not been plowed within a reasonable amount of time following a snowfall, you can contact VDOT directly at 703-383-8368 or NovaInfo@VDOT.Virginia.gov to request assistance. (You are also more than welcome to contact my office and we will forward your concerns to VDOT on your behalf). If you are unsure if it is advisable to go out following the storm, you can get current weather and general road condition information by visiting www.511Virginia.org.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Noone prepared me for the sheer amount of self-absorbed, snobbish people that I have contact in the area I live in. Noone smiles here, noone says good morning, and to me that is just sad that most are so absorbed with their lives that they can't spare the few seconds it takes to acknowledge anothers existence. It is sad to say that when someone actually does speak or even just smile it is a shock. It should speak volumes that there is actually a post on here that is about someone actually being nice.
While I agree with you that people rarely do any of the things you mentioned, it seems normal to me. People in big cities tend to mind their own business more than people elsewhere - this is true in every city, in every region of the country (relative to the rural areas in those regions), and even in every country. It's one way that people adapt to dense living, when they don't actually have that much physical privacy.

The post about someone actually being nice here was a mildly ironic response to all of the "wahhhh, people aren't fake nice here like they are elsewhere" threads. Personally, I don't want to make small talk with people in elevators, or in line at the grocery store. Nor do I care if someone wants to wish me a good morning because they feel it is a cultural requirement. Pretending to care about other people isn't the same as actually caring about them, and if you don't actually care about how I'm doing, don't ask. Life isn't a chain restaurant where your server is paid to be insincere.

But I'm odd, I actually liked how cold strangers treat each other in Northern Europe. It seemed more honest to me.

Last edited by Stephen 81; 02-04-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Forgot a verb or two

Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Have you met everyone here? Then how can you say that noone smiles or says good morning - lol
Read carefully . . . ajzjmsmom never said anything about "everyone." She made reference to a certain area:

"No one prepared me for the sheer amount of self-absorbed, snobbish people that I have contact in the area I live in."

Quote:
Also, not to be mean but just because this area has good schools doesn't mean that every child will exceed. I'm not calling your child slow, but some people just have different learning styles.
Blaming the kid? Now this is a good one. ajzjmsmom is not the first person in NoVA to raise this issue. Remember, we generalize about how great our NoVA schools are by County and people moving in from other states are coming from school districts that are not necessarily categorized by County.

Quote:
What happened to this being a thread griping about the lack of snow maintenance? lol
I thought we still were talking about snow. It's just now evolved to the type of people talking about snow and how we treat each another when discussing snow (as well as other things).

Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
But I'm odd, I actually liked how cold strangers treat each other in Northern Europe. It seemed more honest to me.
Then, if we think about the way some people have described their experience in NoVA -- you fit in perfectly.

But this isn't Northern Europe. It's northern VA/USA.

Some people may adapt well to the culture in NoVa but others who are accustomed to a different way of life find it surprising and even a bit of culture shock. Particularly people from small towns who are used to greeting one another, opening doors for each other, having the mailman wave to them, talk to their neighbors, etc.

People are not rude and mean everywhere in NoVA as many posters have described fine experiences with people and their communities. But if someone describes experiences we don't agree with then it's not an excuse to bash them simply for stating their opinions.

BTW, Stephen81 I am not stating this specifically at you but just generally for the whole thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Then, if we think about the way some people have described their experience in NoVA -- you fit in perfectly.

But this isn't Northern Europe. It's northern VA/USA.

Some people may adapt well to the culture in NoVa but others who are accustomed to a different way of life find it surprising and even a bit of culture shock. Particularly people from small towns who are used to greeting one another, opening doors for each other, having the mailman wave to them, talk to their neighbors, etc.

People are not rude and mean everywhere in NoVA as many posters have described fine experiences with people and their communities. But if someone describes experiences we don't agree with then it's not an excuse to bash them simply for stating their opinions.

BTW, Stephen81 I am not stating this specifically at you but just generally for the whole thread
Oh I completely agree with you. I understand why people are surprised by how a lot of us behave around here, and I understand why they don't like it. I'm just trying to explain how many of us feel when we're in locations, like small towns, where people open doors and wave at the mailman, and why we behave the way we do.

I do think that a lot of us NoVA-boosters resort to bashing people for disagreeing with us. I know I've done that before. On the other hand, I think a lot of NoVA-haters overgeneralize and compare NoVA to mythical lands of milk and honey. No region is perfect, whether it's NoVA, South Florida, the Rust Belt, or Puget Sound.

I should fit in here, I'm a townie

Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post

I don't recall saying this was about everyone in NOVA, just those I had come in contact with. I also recall saying when it does happen I am always shocked because the majority of the people are not like that.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Someone makes a comment about their observations and then gets a smart aleck reply in regards to my kids.
If you will go back and reread my post I never said my kids weren't succeeding here, I said they were going to be behind when we got back to NM which I also said was a suprise to me because generally NM rates very low in regards to education.

BTW South Jersey Styx thanks for the comments. I am not trying to bash NOVA but I think those considering moving here need to hear the bad along with the good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia