Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:02 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm not quite that severe--but I would like suggestions for SFH neighborhoods that skew heavily toward middle-aged and older adults. (We like kids OK in small doses, but when a neighborhood is overrun with screaming tots and their tot-centric parents, it gets old.) We'd like to be near other quiet, child-free people--DINKs ("double income/no kids"), empty nesters, widows/widowers, old gays, crusty bachelor woodworkers, and slowly pickling divorcees.

Can anyone recommend a neighborhood of smallish detached houses inside the Beltway that is not heavily populated by families with kids?

Looking for neighborhood with:
  • Old 3BR houses (pre-WWII or postwar in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright); a historic-preservation covenant would be ideal.
  • Big lots (at least 6500 SF)
  • Big trees
  • Bad schools but low crime
  • Narrow streets
  • No or minimal HOA
  • Under $750K.
We're kind of ready to ditch Arlington. We'd love Lake Barcroft, but I think it'll be out of our budget, and the commute to DC on Route 50 would be rough for the wife.

So far we're considering:
  • Sleepy Hollow (Fairfax County)
  • Lee Boulevard Heights (tiny neighborhood of beautiful old houses just south of Route 50 in Falls Church/FFX County)
  • Hollin Hills (Alexandria)
  • Belle View (Alexandria)
  • Beverly Hills/Rosemont (Alexandria) if we can find something in our budget.
  • Merrifield (kind of far out there but seems otherwise promising)
What we don't want:
  • Kids playing/screaming in the street or front yards.
  • Block parties
  • Rental houses (lest we have raucous college students partying nearby)
  • McMansions
Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-14-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:12 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
OK, I'm not quite that severe--but I would like suggestions for SFH neighborhoods that skew heavily toward middle-aged and older adults. (We like kids OK in small doses, but when a neighborhood is overrun with screaming tots and their tot-centric parents, it gets old.) We'd like to be near other quiet, child-free people--DINKs ("double income/no kids"), empty nesters, widows/widowers, old gays, crusty bachelor woodworkers, and slowly pickling divorcees.

Can anyone recommend a neighborhood of smallish detached houses inside the Beltway that is not heavily populated by families with kids?

• Old 3BR houses (pre-WWII or postwar in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright); a historic-preservation covenant would be ideal.
  • Big trees
  • Narrow streets
  • No or minimal HOA
  • Under $750K.
We're kind of ready to ditch Arlington. We'd love Lake Barcroft, but I think it'll be out of our budget, and the commute to DC on Route 50 would be rough for the wife.

• Lee Boulevard Heights (tiny neighborhood of beautiful old houses just south of Route 50 in Falls Church/FFX County)
  • Merrifield (kind of far out there but seems othewise promising)
What we don't want:
  • Block parties
  • McMansions
My husband and I have this conversation almost every evening.

My response: we'd probably thrive in an "Over 55 Community". We're in our late 30s.

IMO, Rosemont and Beverly Hills has a lot of families with kiddos.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My husband and I have this conversation almost every evening.

My response: we'd probably thrive in an "Over 55 Community". We're in our late 30s.

IMO, Rosemont and Beverly Hills has a lot of families with kiddos.
I know the feeling!

Thanks for the info on those 'hoods. (I'd assumed the Alexandria schools would keep the parents away for the most part.)

Old 10-14-2015, 04:22 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,296 times
I like Merrifield and I feel like it would fit the bill for the most part.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:25 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
I know the feeling!

Thanks for the info on those 'hoods. (I'd assumed the Alexandria schools would keep the parents away for the most part.)
A lot of private schools in that area.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I like Merrifield and I feel like it would fit the bill for the most part.
Great--thanks for the thoughts.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:

• Big trees
  • Narrow streets
  • No or minimal HOA
  • Under $750K.

• Merrifield (kind of far out there but seems otherwise promising)
What we don't want:
  • Block parties
  • McMansions
I think you'll need to take Belle View and Hollin Hills off the list. Those are pretty family-friendly neighborhoods. Lots of people with children moving in there because of the low housing cost coupled with the slightly better elementary schools in that area of Alexandria.

Too bad you don't want a condo - those tends to have way fewer children.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I think you'll need to take Belle View and Hollin Hills off the list. Those are pretty family-friendly neighborhoods. Lots of people with children moving in there because of the low housing cost coupled with the slightly better elementary schools in that area of Alexandria.

Too bad you don't want a condo - those tends to have way fewer children.
Interesting; thanks. I'm surprised, in that the high schools down there are pretty low-scoring.

As a kid-free family, we're fine with there being a few kids here and there. We just don't want a neighborhood where they dominate.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:30 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Except for the style of houses you want, my friends live in a nice neighborhood in Annandale (not many kids around there at all)

Old 10-14-2015, 06:11 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Are you really sure you want out of Arlington? Because my part of South Arlington (Barcroft off the Pike) may be worth a look for your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia