Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you read local newspapers?
Yes, I read the Washington Post 30 68.18%
Yes, I read the Washington Times 5 11.36%
Yes, I read the local free papers (Connection, Observer, etc.) 20 45.45%
I read the Onion, that's the only way to peel away the layers of what's really going on! 4 9.09%
No, I get my news from TV 2 4.55%
No, I get my news from the internet 9 20.45%
Who needs news? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone reads the local newspaper any more. I used to read the Washington Post but cancelled my subscription about two years ago when their reporting went downhill. I sometimes read it online if I need information.

I still read the local free papers. Reston Observer, Loudoun Independent, and Loudoun Times all have pretty good stories. You know what, I find out more about what's going on from the Loudoun Independent than I do from the Post. For a local newspaper the reporting is surprisingly good.

When I take the metro I read the Onion. Always a few good laughs there. And sometimes I think their stories tell more of the real truth than the things I read in the Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,387,325 times
Washington Post online mostly.

I'll read the free Alexandria Times and Examiner on the Metro as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,314,206 times
I agree with Caladium that the Loudoun Independent is good. I also read Ashburn Today and the Loudoun Times-Mirror. I get the Sunday Post delivered (mainly for the coupons!) but read it pretty thoroughly online during the week. I also like to pick up the City Paper when I'm in town, but I think it's not as interesting as it used to be. Oh, and I subscribe to the Arlington Catholic Herald.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post

I'll read the free Alexandria Times
Next time you read the Alexandria Times, how about sharing some articles about what's going on in your part of town? The same goes for you people down in Fort Belvoir. Let's hear whats news in your area.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Washington Post online mostly.

I'll read the free Alexandria Times and Examiner on the Metro as well.
What do you think of The Examiner? I've seen it a few times but never read it. Someone told me it was like a local version of the National Enquirer. Is that true?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,550 times
I subscribe to the Post, because I just have this visceral need to read the comics over my breakfast, and not in the computer. My husband still enjoys the editorials, too, even though they are often full of it.

I get most of my news from NPR, though.

We also get the Falls Church News-Press, but it's terrible; I just look at the real estate ads.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,387,325 times
Examiner is not quite the National Enquirer. More like a thinner version of the New York Post- very sensational and right-wing.

The Alexandria Times is a decent local paper, but I'm not sure many of the articles would be of interest to anyone outside of the City of Alexandria. Most of them are about school issues or budget issues.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:46 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,814,354 times
I still subscribe to The Post, gotta have my Sudoku, I also read the Examiner and The Express, especially on Fridays, I'm addicted to the Samauri Sudoku. I'm someone that likes to hold the paper in my hand. I occasionally grab The Onion or can't recall the name (it has News of the Weird) when I take Metro.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 AM

I'm glad to see nobody chose "Who needs news". That's one way the DC metro area is different from a lot of the other towns I've lived in. People here are (frequently) intellectual and like to read. I like the poster who talked about the pleasures of actually holding a newspaper, especially while you're on a train.

I have a feeling the Washington Times may fold, but the Post will survive no matter how bad the economy gets. People like to hold newspapers, even if they do get most of their news online.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm glad to see nobody chose "Who needs news". That's one way the DC metro area is different from a lot of the other towns I've lived in. People here are (frequently) intellectual and like to read. I like the poster who talked about the pleasures of actually holding a newspaper, especially while you're on a train.

I have a feeling the Washington Times may fold, but the Post will survive no matter how bad the economy gets. People like to hold newspapers, even if they do get most of their news online.
I get this feeling, too. I did a trial subscription with them for a year and when my subscription expired they didn't do very much to try and get a renewal out of me. They have a more conservative view, which is nice. But they seem to report a lot of local news from the beach areas (like Rehobeth and Ocean City), which aren't really part of the DC suburbs..

I read the Washington Post (for local news) and some of the free newspapers. The Examiner is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia