Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Video stores and record stores will go the way of the cobbler and the horse shoe maker. There will be one or two who survive, but mostly they're a relic of the past.
I think that is more likely that a few record & video stores will open up and become popular or at least profitable. Record sales are up significantly, while CD sales are down. If you are throwing a house party and you want to entertain your guests, MP3's don't really impress

It would be smart for these types of stores to offer something that people want, but can not easily obtain. Many customers also want somewhere to hang out. Like I said earlier, add some coffee, snacks, and possibly beer and you have a winner. I think the ebay mentallity has finally worn off for many people. Maybe they realized that when you "win" a bid that you still have to pay for it

We'll see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,646 times
Video Vault is a very unique and eccentric store. The owners truly love what they do and the customers that have remained loyal through out the years. When a customer comes in to VV they are greeted by name. That is a rarity in today's world. There really is no other video store around with this type of customer service. It is unfortunate and sad that they are closing their doors. Video Vault will be missed in Old Town, but I have a feeling that they will not soon be forgotten.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think that is more likely that a few record & video stores will open up and become popular or at least profitable. Record sales are up significantly, while CD sales are down...

Nothing ever dies completely...there's always a few die-hards out there. Although videotape eventually decomposes, so I guess there will never be really old VHS tapes.

Believe it or not, there's people out there that think that the ONLY way to listen to recorded music is on vinyl, played through tube-type equipment. No digital crap or transistors for these guys! This is good for me...I inherited thousands of electron tubes from my father, and some of the large, rare types fetch hundreds of dollars EACH!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Is there any word on what they'll do with their inventory? I'd love to go that sale, if they have one.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Is there any word on what they'll do with their inventory? I'd love to go that sale, if they have one.
They are selling now! New releases are not for sale until a bit later on but you can still rent or buy until the end of April.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Speaking of record stores.. is there anything like this

Dusty Groove America - Home Page - Jazz, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, Brazil, Latin, and more on LP and CD

in the DC area? It's one of my favorite stores in Chicago. What's the best vintage vinyl store in DC?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Speaking of record stores.. is there anything like this

Dusty Groove America - Home Page - Jazz, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, Brazil, Latin, and more on LP and CD

in the DC area? It's one of my favorite stores in Chicago. What's the best vintage vinyl store in DC?
Orpheous records WAS cool until they closed last year

Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
P.S., I now have posted most recently, am top o' the outcrop.
I still consider myself a lifetime member; in March '10 I went in and first paid up f/flics returned late, using up all of my cash; carefully selecting two VHS titles to keep from going over my debit account of $7.00 I was informed of the minimum debit amount of $10.00. Unable to proceed further, a relatively new staffer volunteered to record my purchase in the 'carry-over' notebook, allowing me to pay essentially ??? owing to their policy of allowing customers to routinely rent titles and decline to include past late fees when checking out fresh movies.
I consider(ed) myself an elite customer having been courteously relieved of ever having to overhear mgm't/staff personal gripes. The absolute lack of such an experience during my thousands of visits at all four locations over 25+ years prompts me to fallaciously suggest that those customers who find themselves entwined in that type of commercial, interpersonal situation, whether as an 'insider' and privy or as a non-person, on the 'outside' and only worthy of such forced endurance w/o an invitation to participate will continue to encounter these very situations; or, at least to interpret themselves as 'in it' again. My advice? Leave your body; extricate the 'you' that you have experienced yourself as in prior situations from the pending anticipation by not approaching the potential in the same fashion as you've done before.
I know. This sounds like, "see yourself differently and you will experience yourself differently" rubbish but, I am asking you to be the rubbish, pliable, and let the concept reshape your future encounters.
I gather the film, "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" is behind this post except (also 'due to') it has been four months at least since I rented it. Should have bought it instead.
Where, oh where will we go now to fulfill the eclectic tastes that Video Vault nurtured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia