Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM

6 posts, read 32,016 times

Advertisements

If work is in Springfield, you should be certain that Fairfax County Parkway or wherever can really take you there in 45 minutes. For example, taking 66 east during rush hour is a total nightmare, so if you have to take that to 95, then Springfield, forget it.

Since we now know that you have children, you should check the school district ratings and work from there. I don't really understand why you wouldn't consider Woodbridge or some of the cheaper areas around Springfield rather than moving up and over. If you didn't have children, I'd suggest some nice neighborhoods tucked away off of Richmond Highway. Tons of little enclaves out there in the world. With kids, you need to look at schools, crime, walkability, neighborhoods with children (realtors can't help you there), etc.

Bottom line: look up the school districts first, then go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 AM

142 posts, read 273,098 times
Let me know how it goes...I'm coming out from California 17-24 April to do the same thing. I've got 5 days to secure a contract. We've decided to keep our focus on Gainesville/bristow exclusively.

B

Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Hmmm... sounds like we might need a photo tour of Gainesville and Bristow, considering the interest we've had in that area recently.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey View Post
If work is in Springfield, you should be certain that Fairfax County Parkway or wherever can really take you there in 45 minutes. For example, taking 66 east during rush hour is a total nightmare, so if you have to take that to 95, then Springfield, forget it.

Since we now know that you have children, you should check the school district ratings and work from there. I don't really understand why you wouldn't consider Woodbridge or some of the cheaper areas around Springfield rather than moving up and over. If you didn't have children, I'd suggest some nice neighborhoods tucked away off of Richmond Highway. Tons of little enclaves out there in the world. With kids, you need to look at schools, crime, walkability, neighborhoods with children (realtors can't help you there), etc.

Bottom line: look up the school districts first, then go from there.
This is the smartest way to look at it. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with schools and look at greatschools online to compare schools and then pick an area that is within an hour commute. There are a lot of great areas here so I'm sure you'll find something.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM

17 posts, read 33,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlizard View Post
April 11-14 we will be down on a house scouting expedition. Since my husband works in Springfield, we will be going out with a real estate agent to look at Springfield and Burke (and Vienna if there is anything in our budget).

Our budget is 500-575K. As we are used to a newer/bigger house, I'd also like to explore Ashburn and Gainesville/Bristow. I know the commute might be rediculous, so the plan is to stay in Springfield and do the evening rush hour commute to both locations.

Any recommendations of neighborhoods, sites, restaurants in either area would be appreciated. What do you suggest we see (both good and bad I guess).

TIA!
Suggest you look in the Sleepy Hollow section of Falls Church (along Sleepy Hollow Road), either side has great older homes and it is very convenient to Springfield. I think that the commute from Ashburn could be very long and cubersome. While you're here, try driving (at 7 a.m.) from Ashburn to Springfield and you'll see what I mean.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM

309 posts, read 828,712 times
To explore the Bristow/Gainesville area, I would exit 66 at Centreville and drive down Lee Highway to gander at the Manassas Battlefields. As you enter Gainesville (over the train tracks) take a left onto Linton Hall Rd (619). Atlas walk is the shopping center you will see immediately and if you live in the area, you will spend a lot of time in this shopping area. It's quite large and has many sides to it (not just a big square). Dining options are sort of standard and mostly chains. Good places to eat w/ children without a lot of waiting. The American Tap Room fizzled (the food went down hill quickly after opening) and new restaurant is in its place - something Alehouse, but haven't tried it yet. The big dirt area is supposed to be the site of a movie theater and restaurants but I guess the recession but the big kabosh on that.

Linton Hall is about 6 miles long (i think) and runs between Lee Highway and Route 28. I think of Bristow/Gainesville very similar to South Riding or Ashburn in the sense it's a large community, but Bristow is broken into many neighborhoods instead of 1 giant community. As you drive down Linton Hall Rd you will see the myriad of neighborhoods and depending on school preferences, house age, layout, trees, no trees, pool,etc will determine what neighborhood will appeal. I would drive into as many as you can to get a feel of what neighborhood appeals the most.

The first street after the Atlas Walk is Glenkirk. This area and a bit further down is considered Gainesville (20155 zip) The ES school is Glenkirk and one of the largest in size in the area. Morris Farms (Rollins Ford rd)has a big entrance and there are a number of communities and builders.

Bristow Run ES is located in Kingsbrooke neighborhood which is one of favorite neighborhoods. (Worthington dr) BRES is the top rated and oldest school (11 yrs old) in the area.

Devlin Rd intersects with Linton Hall and has a couple of neighborhoods and is the route most people take to get on 66. This is 1 exit closer (which does make a difference in commute times) than if you get on in Gainesville. Devlin intersects w/ Wellington where Nissan (renamed Jiffy Lube) concerts are held which is a large outdoor venue. The surrounding 500 acres has been a debate/$ to bring the VRE to Gainesville - should be interesting to see if it ever happens. Very large garden center is also located on Wellington. Wellington also feeds into Atlas Walk shopping center.

The next intersection is Sudley Manor and is the street that saved many, many hours of commute time in the area and feeds to PW Parkway and goes all the way to Bus 234. To the left is Victory Lakes that has an elementary school of the same name and some rather unusual homes. Miller & Smith are the builders and I believe some the better built homes in the area. A lot of homes have massive square footage which is not always on the plus side. To the right is another shopping center with Safeway, a Tae Kwon Do and dance studio, coffee, dry cleaning, etc. This is the entrance to the newer section of Braemar (community of about 1,900 homes). The new HS and ES slotted to open in 2011 is located just off Vint Hill (Sudley Manor Rd dead ends here) on Kettle Run.

Continue on Linton Hall for more homes and the older section of Braemar and Cedar Point ES. Just past that is another shopping center (which has a back entrance from Vint Hill) and now you are at Rt 28. To the left is more shopping and the VRE and you can continue into the City of Manassas. Go right and you will see just how rural this part of the county still can be.

I will say there are very nice homes/neighborhoods in Haymarket and the "other side of Lee Highway" in Gainesville, but will stress again how much some of these neighborhoods will add to a commute. Lake Manassas is also considered Gainesville and is regarded as a "higher end" community (top rated golf course) but since you can only exit this community onto Lee Highway......anything located south of the train tracks is going to add at least 20 minutes.

I moved to Bristow in 2003 out of necessity and initially hated it, but with a job location change, road improvements and more shopping options, I love it. My house is 3 years old and would cost $200k more in Loudoun or FFX and we enjoy our neighbors and the lifestyle of a quieter area and the beauty of western PW Cty. Of course my worse commuting time is 45 minutes. I have lived in Fairfax, Fair Lakes, Alexandria & Arlington and most of my friends live in Loudoun and Fairfax. At first it was pain, but we discovered tons of things to do west of us and yes, sometimes we do have to drive 30-40 minutes to do things closer in but I wouldn't trade living in FFX County again.

What don't I like? The big massive power lines that are near some of the neighborhoods. Manassas mall - one word - ick. I work next to Fair Oaks mall so I'm less bothered by this. I like the City of Manassas, but Sudley rd (Business 234) is just one depressing looking strip mall after another.

If you decide you are leaning towards this area, I can certainly add to this but hope others will chime in as well.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 PM

53 posts, read 152,501 times
Thanks Claire,

That was exactly the kind on info I was looking for!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:12 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times
For a visit to Ashburn take Waxpool (turns into Farmwell) and you'll be driving past/through Ashburn Village and Ashburn Farm. If you head West down Claiborne you'll be driving through Broadlands. You can take either Loudoun County Parkway or Belmont Ridge into the Brambleton and Loudoun Valley Estates areas.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 PM

509 posts, read 974,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
To explore the Bristow/Gainesville area, I would exit 66 at Centreville and drive down Lee Highway to gander at the Manassas Battlefields. As you enter Gainesville (over the train tracks) take a left onto Linton Hall Rd (619). Atlas walk is the shopping center you will see immediately and if you live in the area, you will spend a lot of time in this shopping area. It's quite large and has many sides to it (not just a big square). Dining options are sort of standard and mostly chains. Good places to eat w/ children without a lot of waiting. The American Tap Room fizzled (the food went down hill quickly after opening) and new restaurant is in its place - something Alehouse, but haven't tried it yet. The big dirt area is supposed to be the site of a movie theater and restaurants but I guess the recession but the big kabosh on that.

Linton Hall is about 6 miles long (i think) and runs between Lee Highway and Route 28. I think of Bristow/Gainesville very similar to South Riding or Ashburn in the sense it's a large community, but Bristow is broken into many neighborhoods instead of 1 giant community. As you drive down Linton Hall Rd you will see the myriad of neighborhoods and depending on school preferences, house age, layout, trees, no trees, pool,etc will determine what neighborhood will appeal. I would drive into as many as you can to get a feel of what neighborhood appeals the most.

The first street after the Atlas Walk is Glenkirk. This area and a bit further down is considered Gainesville (20155 zip) The ES school is Glenkirk and one of the largest in size in the area. Morris Farms (Rollins Ford rd)has a big entrance and there are a number of communities and builders.

Bristow Run ES is located in Kingsbrooke neighborhood which is one of favorite neighborhoods. (Worthington dr) BRES is the top rated and oldest school (11 yrs old) in the area.

Devlin Rd intersects with Linton Hall and has a couple of neighborhoods and is the route most people take to get on 66. This is 1 exit closer (which does make a difference in commute times) than if you get on in Gainesville. Devlin intersects w/ Wellington where Nissan (renamed Jiffy Lube) concerts are held which is a large outdoor venue. The surrounding 500 acres has been a debate/$ to bring the VRE to Gainesville - should be interesting to see if it ever happens. Very large garden center is also located on Wellington. Wellington also feeds into Atlas Walk shopping center.

The next intersection is Sudley Manor and is the street that saved many, many hours of commute time in the area and feeds to PW Parkway and goes all the way to Bus 234. To the left is Victory Lakes that has an elementary school of the same name and some rather unusual homes. Miller & Smith are the builders and I believe some the better built homes in the area. A lot of homes have massive square footage which is not always on the plus side. To the right is another shopping center with Safeway, a Tae Kwon Do and dance studio, coffee, dry cleaning, etc. This is the entrance to the newer section of Braemar (community of about 1,900 homes). The new HS and ES slotted to open in 2011 is located just off Vint Hill (Sudley Manor Rd dead ends here) on Kettle Run.

Continue on Linton Hall for more homes and the older section of Braemar and Cedar Point ES. Just past that is another shopping center (which has a back entrance from Vint Hill) and now you are at Rt 28. To the left is more shopping and the VRE and you can continue into the City of Manassas. Go right and you will see just how rural this part of the county still can be.

I will say there are very nice homes/neighborhoods in Haymarket and the "other side of Lee Highway" in Gainesville, but will stress again how much some of these neighborhoods will add to a commute. Lake Manassas is also considered Gainesville and is regarded as a "higher end" community (top rated golf course) but since you can only exit this community onto Lee Highway......anything located south of the train tracks is going to add at least 20 minutes.

I moved to Bristow in 2003 out of necessity and initially hated it, but with a job location change, road improvements and more shopping options, I love it. My house is 3 years old and would cost $200k more in Loudoun or FFX and we enjoy our neighbors and the lifestyle of a quieter area and the beauty of western PW Cty. Of course my worse commuting time is 45 minutes. I have lived in Fairfax, Fair Lakes, Alexandria & Arlington and most of my friends live in Loudoun and Fairfax. At first it was pain, but we discovered tons of things to do west of us and yes, sometimes we do have to drive 30-40 minutes to do things closer in but I wouldn't trade living in FFX County again.

What don't I like? The big massive power lines that are near some of the neighborhoods. Manassas mall - one word - ick. I work next to Fair Oaks mall so I'm less bothered by this. I like the City of Manassas, but Sudley rd (Business 234) is just one depressing looking strip mall after another.

If you decide you are leaning towards this area, I can certainly add to this but hope others will chime in as well.
I live in Gainesville but you really covered it pretty well, but if the OP has questions about it I'll also be glad to answer them.

Indeed, Morris Farm is off Rollins Ford Road as well as a number of other new communities with houses being built.

Gainesville is far enough away from Manassas not to really connect anything in Manassas to Gainesville. There's plenty of shopping available in Gainesville that there's hardly any need to go to Manassas except for a few places in Manassas not in Ganesiville (Costco, Kohls, are the ones that come to mind). Otherwise, there's getting to be plenty of good stores in Gainesville that for most things as far as shopping you don't need to go to Manassas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia