Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM

53 posts, read 152,517 times

Advertisements

April 11-14 we will be down on a house scouting expedition. Since my husband works in Springfield, we will be going out with a real estate agent to look at Springfield and Burke (and Vienna if there is anything in our budget).

Our budget is 500-575K. As we are used to a newer/bigger house, I'd also like to explore Ashburn and Gainesville/Bristow. I know the commute might be rediculous, so the plan is to stay in Springfield and do the evening rush hour commute to both locations.

Any recommendations of neighborhoods, sites, restaurants in either area would be appreciated. What do you suggest we see (both good and bad I guess).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
I own a home in Springfield. Moderator Cut My plan is to sell in 2011 or when BRAC is in place. Moderator Cut If you are interested just PM me. Thanks jim

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising is not permitted per the Terms of Service

Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlizard View Post
Our budget is 500-575K. As we are used to a newer/bigger house, I'd also like to explore Ashburn and Gainesville/Bristow. I know the commute might be rediculous, so the plan is to stay in Springfield and do the evening rush hour commute to both locations.
Good idea--give it a trial run.

I don't have any specific suggestions for Ashburn, but I think both Ashburn and Gainesville/Bristow are great places if you can stand the commute. Just wanted to say welcome to Virginia, and we'll help you out as much as we can.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 32,018 times
What are you looking for? I know that you want:

1) Newer/larger
2) Near restaurants (restaurants are within driving distance from just about anywhere)
3) Not too far from Springfield

That narrows it down to four counties and maybe 300,000 houses.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
While you may be used to a newer home, is your husband used to a commute than can be an hour or even more if there are traffic issues? You may decide that living in an older and/or smaller home is worth the quality family/couple time. You will likely be close to parks and other recreational places that may make up for a relative lack of yard, for example. Others here have recommended West Springfield and Burke as places that might be convenient for you. I might throw in Annandale, particularly outside the Beltway, as well. Even Chantilly and Centreville may offer be a reasonable commute and value for your budget compared to Ashburn and Gainesville.

@Willey, I believe the OP was talking about amenities - and people that would know about them - that are in and around Ashburn and Gainesville, specifically.

And per normie, you may as well throw in Bristow as well as Haymarket if you're looking at Gainesville.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 PM

53 posts, read 152,517 times
Thanks for the warm welcome Normie.

We've been pouring over the MLS, so we can really see the difference in houses, lots, etc. and my husband (despite currently working from home) previously had a 45 minute commute (without accidents, etc). Part of our reason for doing this is to weigh commute vs. house vs. community vs. price, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is any suggestions for what to do once we make it down to Ashburn or the Haymarket./Bristow/Gainesville area around 6:30/7pm (my guestimate for traffic, leaving Springfield around 5/5:30). The kids are with the grandparents, so no need to just turn around and get back to the hotel. We might as well drive around, see the town and grab some dinner.

If there are any "must see" communities in our price range, please let me know cross streets or something to plug into my GPS. We have a 5 year old and a 6 year old, so kids stuff is also an interest.

This is such a helpful forum. It is how I norrowed down our choices. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I own a home in Springfield. Moderator Cut My plan is to sell in 2011 or when BRAC is in place. Moderator Cut If you are interested just PM me. Thanks jim
I'm assuming one can't pitch a house on C-D. Sorry.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:42 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlizard View Post
If there are any "must see" communities in our price range, please let me know cross streets or something to plug into my GPS. We have a 5 year old and a 6 year old, so kids stuff is also an interest.
Well, if you're coming out to the Ashburn area, you should check out Brambleton (cross streets = Belmont Ridge Road and Ryan Road, zip code 20148). I know there are several nice single-family homes for sale in your price range right now. The Brambleton Town Center has several restaurants if you want to grab dinner (Blue Ridge Grill and My Thai Place are the best, in my opinion) and there are other shops (your kids will love Go Bananas, a toy store) and a movie theater. Here is the photo tour I posted last fall. The commute to Springfield is not going to be a cakewalk, but you know that already. I don't know of anything going on specifically that week you'll be here, but coming in the evening will give you a good sense of Brambleton's family-friendliness and neighborliness - there are tons of people out right now walking dogs, parents pushing strollers, kids riding bikes and skateboards.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:11 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,530 times
Re: Ashburn-in addition to Brambleton, you may also want to check out Ashburn Farm and the Broadlands (my favorites). Some of the houses are a bit older but you get some areas with large trees and possibly larger lots than the newer communities.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM

577 posts, read 2,061,259 times
Gainesville and Ashburn are pretty far from Springfield. If the prices are in your budget for Burke, Springfield, Annandale, Fairfax, the Fort Belvoir area, or Woodbridge I'd look around there as well. Even Centreville would be good. The commute would be much easier. With young children you probably don't want to be getting home at 7pm every night after work so consider that as well.

However, if the Gainesville, Bristow or Haymarket areas appeal to you and fit your budget I think that commute would be easier than from Ashburn. That said, Ashburn is a great area for families. I live there and really like it. Look for Ashburn Village, Ashburn Farm, Broadlands, Brambleton or there are some smaller communities in the 20147/20148 zip codes. I have friends who live in Bristow off Sudley Manor Drive by Marsteller Middle School. It's very nice and a growing area with families.

Last edited by Ashburnite; 04-01-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia