Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

Dumpy, old, small and out of date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM

43 posts, read 214,740 times
@Fairfax Mom - which one is that?

I LOVE libraries!!!
I like the Fairfax City library for architecture and 'newness' of books, although I don't have experience checking out stuff there.
Then the Arlington Central library - it's large and bright and airy with tons of space to sit down... there are so many people there always - yes, also the ones with the laptops. (I don't think they don't have a connection at home - I think some people just prefer to study/work in a library environment... but I could be wrong)... the library stays quiet, despite the large amounts of people there...
Unfortunately it's high circulation and I've noted that a lot of people treat the books badly - so that a brand new book looks worn or worse sometimes - literally breaks my heart when people do that...
Also they don't buy thaaaat many new books - I note that in the travel section- LOL!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM

66 posts, read 180,653 times
I second the amount of noise at Pohick! Perhaps with all of the recreational type programs that are now offered at libraries, young children no longer view it as a place where they should be quiet. I miss the cranky old librarians from my childhood who could silence the most rambunctious child with a mean stare and a finger to the lips! Noise aside, Pohick is overall a pleasant library.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I loved that book! Read it last summer from the library then bought it for my DIL. I LOVE sitting at home and putting books on hold, then waiting for the email saying they are in. I've spent all summer doing that. Even the long waits aren't bad when there's enough in the pipeline.
I have reserved two in late June that I still haven't gotten (Mennonite in a Little Black Dress is one of them).

I reserved two in early July, still nothing.

I reserved another one yesterday and it will probably be a long time. I only seem to have anywhere from 13 to 70 holds in front of me for all these books. It's moving VERY slowly. All I can think is there are not enough copies.

I just wish I could find a good book swap place. You see, I've had The Help sitting in my spare room for about 6 months. I lent it to two people and now I have nothing to do with it. I used to use a used book store. They were always pretty happy for my books, but I stopped trading there because, apparently, all anyone else reads is James Patterson, Nora Roberts, and Jodi Picoult. Nothing decent there.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
I am in library withdrawal right now, since we are not residents of FFX county I can't utilize it unless I just want to sit there and read. However, I am eagerly anticipating visiting the Stafford library once we get moved. I am really excited because the library is 2 blocks from our house, my kids have already said "if Mom is missing check the library."

Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Christine,

Have you tried McKay's? Or is that the place you are talking about? You could always try Paperback Swap online. I've heard great things about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have reserved two in late June that I still haven't gotten (Mennonite in a Little Black Dress is one of them).

I reserved two in early July, still nothing.

I reserved another one yesterday and it will probably be a long time. I only seem to have anywhere from 13 to 70 holds in front of me for all these books. It's moving VERY slowly. All I can think is there are not enough copies.

I just wish I could find a good book swap place. You see, I've had The Help sitting in my spare room for about 6 months. I lent it to two people and now I have nothing to do with it. I used to use a used book store. They were always pretty happy for my books, but I stopped trading there because, apparently, all anyone else reads is James Patterson, Nora Roberts, and Jodi Picoult. Nothing decent there.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Christine,

Have you tried McKay's? Or is that the place you are talking about? You could always try Paperback Swap online. I've heard great things about it.
For years I've used C&G Books in Woodbridge. Haven't heard of McKay's. I probably need to get out and find some places.

As for Paperback Swap, I signed up and then went searching for books. Same experience--LOTS of the mass market stuff. No one was swapping anything "good." Heck some of the books were things I read five or six years ago.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am in library withdrawal right now, since we are not residents of FFX county I can't utilize it unless I just want to sit there and read. However, I am eagerly anticipating visiting the Stafford library once we get moved. I am really excited because the library is 2 blocks from our house, my kids have already said "if Mom is missing check the library."
aj-mom, it might be worth asking. When I moved here they issued me a card even though I was just renting a temporary apartment. Just show them your drivers license and something showing you pay rent in Fairfax County. (Unless they've tightened up the rules in recent years, which is always possible.)

Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
For years I've used C&G Books in Woodbridge. Haven't heard of McKay's. I probably need to get out and find some places.

As for Paperback Swap, I signed up and then went searching for books. Same experience--LOTS of the mass market stuff. No one was swapping anything "good." Heck some of the books were things I read five or six years ago.
Oh, we had a great thread on this a few years ago. There are a lot of good places. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh, we had a great thread on this a few years ago. There are a lot of good places. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Thanks, I found it!

I used to go to one in Springfield a few years ago (near the Baha Fresh as you are heading in to Kingstowne). I wonder if that still there. And I've noticed a place off Backlick Road in the industrial area when I'm "parked" on I-95 South. I think it's called the Book Nook. One day, I'll have to check all these places out and see if some of them have better seletions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia