Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM

104 posts, read 416,722 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are buying a home in the Countryside Neighborhood. We are just now learning about the Hidden Lane Landfill and wondering if that should be a concern?
Thanks very much!

Last edited by bargainhigh; 04-11-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
This was thoroughly covered in recent issues of the Loudoun Independent. I suggest you research back issues either on line or at the library and not rely on comments on this forum, which may or may not be accurate.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks! We found the articles online and it seems to be a concern for Broadrun Farms well water and the house we are buying is not in the area of the landfill.
Thank you

Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 AM

43 posts, read 91,453 times
I wouldn't be concerned. The big issue is possible groundwater contamination and Countryside is on the county water system so it isn't impacted.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Thank you so much!!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,489 times
The Hidden Lane landfill only directly affects those who rely on well water in the proximity of the landfill. Cascades is on public water and sewer. It's Broad Run Farms who all have wells. You should be just fine.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,172 times
Default Hidden Lane Landfill

I am considering buying a home in the CountrySide development. Unfortunately, I am having difficulty finding adequate information about the many possible threats this landfill poses to this community. Has anyone in the CountrySide Community had their homes tested for the accumulation of TCE gas? Has anyone had the soils on their property tested? Are there any predictable or recurring odors unique to the area? I would greatly appreciate any feedback to any of these questions.

I know this seems to be a sensitive topic for residents of the area - BUT - sunlight is the best disinfectant - and the devil you know is always better than the one you don't - so PLEASE SHARE.

Also, I know there is a multi-part article entitled, "The Hidden Truth about Hidden Lane," but I can't seem to find a link to the whole article anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
My understanding is this is primarliy a tricholoroethlyene groundwater site. You should be able to find the volatile organic concentrations (TCE and others) in groundwater via the EPA website or by calling the EPA Remedial Project Manager or Community Involvement Corrdinator.
Hidden Lane Landfill | Mid-Atlantic Superfund | US EPA

Remedial Project Manager
Fred MacMillan
215-814-3201
macmillan.fred@epa.gov

Community Involvement Coordinator
Larry C. Johnson
215-814-3239 or 800-553-2509
johnson.larry-c@epa.gov

The following link is for the EPA model used to calculate air concentration in confined spaces (homes).
Johnson and Ettinger (1991) Model for Subsurface Vapor Intrusion into Buildings | Solid Waste and Emergency Response | US EPA

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,172 times
I understand that the primary concern is well water in the Broad Run Farms neighborhood, but I have read that TCE (and others), when concentrated enough, can migrate upward through soil (where air pressure is high) and be sucked into a leaky house foundation (where air pressure is low). So why has the EPA not tested for TCE in the basements of the CountrySide homes? I am frustrated by the fact that testing seems to be confined to the Broad Run neighborhood when logically the bulk of the toxic material from the landfill will move northeast (with the watershed) toward northwest CountrySide and Algonkian Elementary - and even in Broad Run I have not read about any air/soil quality testing. I don't mean to overstate the threat, but I think these are important tests that need to be done ASAP if they have not happened already.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
My in-laws lived in Broad Run Farms (BRF) since the late 1950s, living on Young's Cliff Rd facing the river, not all that far from where the road dead-ends.

In 1982 my MIL contracted Bone Marrow Cancer, aka Multiple Myloma and she passed in mid-1983 after extensive suffering. The house has well and septic, typical of BRF. My MIL did not work outside the home and was in the home almost constantly. Some family members still live in the home but without health concerns - so far. I'm told that their well water was tested and found to be un-contaminated. Still, who knows what were the effects of the landfill, especially the info about TCE gasses. Myself, I would NOT trust any home in BRF, regardless of water source.

Here's an old newspaper story about the TCE and wells in BRF.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-17-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia