Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times

Advertisements

My parents will be visiting to help me move in a few weeks, and they're going to rent bikes so we can all go on a shortish (5-10 mile) ride - my dad likes the Mount Vernon Trail, but I'm more a W&OD person (since we'll be based in Alexandria and Fairfax City, these are the two [major] trails that will be closest to us). Anyone have any recs for 5-10 miles stretches on the W&OD that wouldn't require us to drive too far west to start out? What about starting in Herndon and going west for about 5-10 miles? Too blandly suburban? Should we start out in Loudoun somewhere? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
If your parents are up for the drive, I might start at Smith's Switch Station in Ashburn and head west towards Leesburg. That's a fairly pleasant stretch of the W&OD with a number of picnic areas to the side. If you start in Herndon heading west, you'd have to go through a number of traffic intersections in Herndon and then you end up going through a fairly drab, older section of Sterling Park.

Another possibility might be to start northwest of the Town of Vienna (there's parking at the bottom of Clarks Crossing Road, which is off of Beulah Road) and then head east through the Town of Vienna towards Arlington. If you did that, you'd have the option of stopping for a snack or refreshment in either Vienna or Falls Church.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 PM

428 posts, read 1,114,484 times
I think the stretch between Columbia Pike and 123 is pretty nice. There's a stretch there that parallels 66 (it's not particularly bad, just a little boring), but if you were to start at Columbia Pike and head west I don't think you'd even get to the 66 part before it was time for you to turn around.

If your parents are up for the drive, then I agree that the Smith's Switch Station area is also really nice. You could bike to Carolina Brothers for barbecue (it's right on the trail) then turn around and go back to your car.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Thanks very much, guys!! I will run these ideas by my parents when arrive in May.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM

182 posts, read 540,522 times
I second the segment just west of Columbia Pike. It's a really nice ride between the Pike and East Falls Church. The trail connects a bunch of pocket parks which I think you'd all enjoy.

Another personal favorite is the Cross County Trail between Rte 50 (at Nutley St) and Lake Accotink. That total segment is about 15 miles roundtrip, but the Lake Accotink loop is 4-5 miles and is really really pretty.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
If your parents are up for the drive, I might start at Smith's Switch Station in Ashburn and head west towards Leesburg. That's a fairly pleasant stretch of the W&OD with a number of picnic areas to the side. If you start in Herndon heading west, you'd have to go through a number of traffic intersections in Herndon and then you end up going through a fairly drab, older section of Sterling Park.

Another possibility might be to start northwest of the Town of Vienna (there's parking at the bottom of Clarks Crossing Road, which is off of Beulah Road) and then head east through the Town of Vienna towards Arlington. If you did that, you'd have the option of stopping for a snack or refreshment in either Vienna or Falls Church.
Agree with both of these recommendations, except I would go west from Vienna, not east. I've ridden the whole trail and these are my favorite parts. Least favorite is the stretch between Herndon and Ashburn -- very suburban sprawly.

If you have access to hybrid or mountain bikes, you might want to consider the C&O Canal Trail. It's finely crushed gravel, as opposed to pavement, but it is a beautiful ride just adjacent to the Potomac River. I would recommend you park your car at Fletcher's boathouse, about three miles west of Georgetown on Canal Road and ride west from there. It's about 10 miles to Great Falls, and the scenery is spectacular. It will make you forget you are just outside of the nation's capital.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
If you have access to hybrid or mountain bikes, you might want to consider the C&O Canal Trail. It's finely crushed gravel, as opposed to pavement, but it is a beautiful ride just adjacent to the Potomac River. I would recommend you park your car at Fletcher's boathouse, about three miles west of Georgetown on Canal Road and ride west from there. It's about 10 miles to Great Falls, and the scenery is spectacular. It will make you forget you are just outside of the nation's capital.
The C&O Canal path exceeds the scenery of most of the W&OD IMHO. Certainly, the Mt Vernon trail is beautiful south of the Wilson Bridge, but there can be some steep grades for anyone not in good biking shape.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
The best stretch of the W&OD is from Leesburg to Purcellville. No power lines, beautiful mountain/hill views, and fresh air. Otherwise, take the advice and go from Vienna west towards Reston, you'll have to deal with the powerlines but otherwise it's idyllic. Herndon to Ashburn has great warehouse and business park views!

I second the C&O Canal recommendation, but make sure to have fat tires. Mt. Vernon is too crowded on weekends.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
It's been awhile, but I remember the Leesburg to Purcellville section of the path being beautiful as well. Bonus is that you can walk around downtown Purcellville when you get there. And since others are recommending other trails, I love the Capital Crescent Trail from downtown Bethesda to Georgetown - I feel like I am on vacation everytime I ride it.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:01 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
If you're up for the ride, I would take the Mount Vernon Trail from Alexandria to get to the Four Mile Run Trail. The latter is a very nice wooded trail that leads to the W&OD Trail. It's flat and has lots of shade from the tree cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia