Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, the only parts of Old Town that get any substantial amount of tourists is King St. between City Hall & the River. That's only several blocks. Other than Mcconnell's and Landini Brothers, the restaurants on that particular strip are awful tourist traps. If you live in Old Town as a local you will rarely actually go down that strip unless a friend is visiting. The restaurants and shops further west on King or a few blocks off of King St. are much better.

Plus, there are hardly any tourists outside of Spring/Summer. Parking is difficult between Cameron and Duke Streets, but it isn't really that hard to find street parking elsewhere. You might have to park a couple of blocks away from your place, but rarely much more than that. After you live there for a while, you'll know where to find the parking spots.
I agree that the closer to the river you get the more touristy Old Town gets but I don't consider those particular restaurants a tourist trap or anymore of a tourist trap then the rest of Old Town. I visit them often as a local as do my friends. Food and drinks are pretty expensive up and down King Street, not just by the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,514 times
Old Town in a great place where to live. We leave in SW, no problem with parking, and no problem with tourists. Besides, having tourists around on nice days after work just make it feel like a vacation place which I find is a good feeling.
And flooding is only an issue if you live within 2 blocks from the water.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM

50 posts, read 131,437 times
We live in Old Town and love it. But we're urbanites at heart. We make use of the extensive public transportation, walking to grocery stores, restaurants, local theater, waterfront trails, etc. We don't have a car, so parking is not a problem. But, even if you drive, you won't need to move your car much if you adopt the urban way!

Crowds aren't too bad. I live two blocks from King. And King can be super busy but walk two blocks and -- tranquity (punctuated, admittedly, by the occasional tour bus passing by). As I said, I like urban. But at the same time, a neighborhood like Georgetown or some others in DC would feel totally overwhelming to me. Old Town has a calmer feel.

Crime is better in Alexandria than virtually any part of DC, so there's a bit of perspective to it. I live near public housing that is North of King Street and West of Washington Street. (Tancil Court, Chatham Square redevelopment) I'm a couple blocks away but haven't had trouble. Parker Gray, the neighborhood right near Braddock Metro, has more problems with crime -- again, relatively speaking. I have heard from the police that this is less because of the public housing residents and more because it draws "visitors" into the neighborhood. At the same time, there are many middle class people moving in and also younger couples because it is a little less expensive and close to Metro.

As far as flooding goes, expect it if you live on Union Street or East. Check your flood maps when looking a few streets West of that -- flood risk depends on elevation, but some areas are of higher risk. Also, some homes are built higher to reduce flood risk. We're a few more blocks in-land at Royal. We got the flood insurance for piece of mind, but it was not very expensive because we are in a "low risk" zone. As far as disruption, there was flooding to Union Street this spring but I would not have noticed if I hadn't heard on the news.

Old Town isn't cheap, but a good value if comparing it to DC. To a fancier suburb -- you get less house for your money but more lifestyle/amenities. The historic homes are a big plus in my book but could be a con due to the sometimes non-standard stairs. We rejected many homes almost entirely because of their stairs. But this just means finding the right place. It's not a reason to reject Old Town. A few of the newer, larger townhouses have elevators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia