Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times

Advertisements

Here in TX one school district has banned them becuase it has caused so much disruption in the class and thieft! Had to laugh...stealing rubber bands.

Even my HS kid has a couple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Here it's elementary - high school.

I remember when I was in 7th - 9th or so, we had some rubber bracelets that we all wore. different colors - black, red, green, etc. No one else had them? They were super cool.

I don't mind fads - we had them when I was young and it wasn't a big deal. We had fat laces, friendship pins, rubber bracelets, half gloves, fluorescent stuff, big earrings, biker shorts, parachute pants, swatches (I still have mine), etc. I don't understand the parents who seem to have forgotten what it's like being young and having a style you adhere to - the banning of said styles just makes kids want them more.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Here it's elementary - high school.

I remember when I was in 7th - 9th or so, we had some rubber bracelets that we all wore. different colors - black, red, green, etc. No one else had them? They were super cool.

I don't mind fads - we had them when I was young and it wasn't a big deal. We had fat laces, friendship pins, rubber bracelets, half gloves, fluorescent stuff, big earrings, biker shorts, parachute pants, swatches (I still have mine), etc. I don't understand the parents who seem to have forgotten what it's like being young and having a style you adhere to - the banning of said styles just makes kids want them more.
I saw a girl at work today with these things on...she had so many on they went up close to the middle of her forearm!

I shouldnt keep looking on here...but what on Earth is a swatch???

Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 PM

Official Swatch Website

you don't remember swatch watches? With the swatch guards, and the different bands, etc???

Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Official Swatch Website

you don't remember swatch watches? With the swatch guards, and the different bands, etc???

No??? They might have been popular before I was born or when I was small. When were they out?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Swatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Swatches enjoyed their peak popularity during the mid-1980s. Such '80s fads included wearing two Swatches and using a Swatch as a ponytail band. Some models, like Pop Swatch, allowed wearers to attach Swatches directly to clothing. During this same time, Swatch introduced the idea of partnering with noted artists, including Keith Haring and others. Artist watches gave a new cachet to what had previously been a trendy youth article.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM

That explains it then. I was born in 1986....I wasnt even aware of such things till MUCH later. lol

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 PM

262 posts, read 582,734 times
I thought silly bandz had been banned at most schools. The teachers were tired of being the nanny for silly bandz. I know my grandson's teacher said a parent called her at home to tell her to get back a silly bandz that her son had traded and wanted back. Geez people.

I wish I had been the one who invented these little pieces of rubber....whoever it is, is making a fortune! Amazing what catches on these days. I guess when they become readily available the fad will be over (like beanie babies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia