Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times

Advertisements

Is there a good local beach that's within 1-2 hrs driving? I have been to Sandy Point, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the sand...for a 1 hr drive, it's good, but I wanted to know if there's any other one.

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Is there a good local beach that's within 1-2 hrs driving? I have been to Sandy Point, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the sand...for a 1 hr drive, it's good, but I wanted to know if there's any other one.

Thanks,
K
Someone was asking about beaches and lakes a while back so if you do a search you may get some more ideas. It's not a big beach, but there is one at the state park at Lake Anna, which is about two hours from here, depending on where you're coming from in No. VA. Check out their website: Lake Anna State Park On there it says one hour from No. Va. Maybe without traffic, yes, but I live in western Fairfax and we go down by way of Rt. 29 and Rt 522 and it's an hour and a half without traffic, 85 miles, and that's about five miles closer than the park.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
what do you think this is, southern california? Around here, you have to drive at least two hours to get to a decent beach.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
If you go at the right time, Rehoboth Beach is a three hour drive from Arlington. I guess it depends how much you want to see the beach for the day. The drive is relaxing, the Eastern Shore can be scenic and it's much less crowded and crazy than Ocean City. Definitely do it on a Saturday versus a Sunday because there will be less traffic coming home and you can have Sunday to rest up from the drive.

Lake beaches are a better option if you want something close. I second Lake Anna. I also have been to a nice lake beach somewhere in Maryland...I think Catoctin north of Frederick.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Thanks everyone. I shall try Lake Anna.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I don't consider lakes to be "beaches" and if you didn't like Sandy Point (not that it's that great) for the "beach" experience, you're probably not going to enjoy a lake. Not that lakes aren't nice but I get the impression that you're looking for a true beach experience. Not going to get that in that short of a distance. When I was younger and had much more energy, I did day trips to Ocean City/Fenwick/Bethany area often. Even from Woodbridge, leaving early, I could get there in about 3 hours, give or take a few minutes. Between Fenwich and Bethany, there is a Delaware State Park that offers parking, shower facilities, and food stand so it makes for a great day trip.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 AM

110 posts, read 268,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
If you go at the right time, Rehoboth Beach is a three hour drive from Arlington. I guess it depends how much you want to see the beach for the day. The drive is relaxing, the Eastern Shore can be scenic and it's much less crowded and crazy than Ocean City. Definitely do it on a Saturday versus a Sunday because there will be less traffic coming home and you can have Sunday to rest up from the drive.

Lake beaches are a better option if you want something close. I second Lake Anna. I also have been to a nice lake beach somewhere in Maryland...I think Catoctin north of Frederick.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

If we want to head to Rehoboth Beach from Arlington on a Saturday (for the day), what time would you recommend leaving in the morning to avoid massive traffic (I know there will be some traffic no matter what, just want to avoid the worst of it)? Also, I assume the traffic information will hold true whether driving to Rehoboth, Ocean City, or Chincoteague/Assateague?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
If we want to head to Rehoboth Beach from Arlington on a Saturday (for the day), what time would you recommend leaving in the morning to avoid massive traffic (I know there will be some traffic no matter what, just want to avoid the worst of it)? Also, I assume the traffic information will hold true whether driving to Rehoboth, Ocean City, or Chincoteague/Assateague?
I've left around 6:00a.m. and arrived between 9-9:30, has some sort of touristy breakfast and one of my fave beach places and then hit beach around 10:00 a.m. Perfect timing for me. I wouldn't leave much past 7:00 a.m.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
Traffic is bad to any of them.

Chincoteague is a little far for a day trip in my opinion. Even OC is a bit far (just under 160 miles from me in Alexandria).

The Delaware beaches are closer (130ish miles from me), so that's where I'd recommend if time is a factor.

I like Christine's suggestion of 6-7AM for a leaving time. Any later and you will get backed up at the Bay Bridge. When I leave around 9-10, I always run into Bay Bridge issues. Some tips if you're planning to leave later:

- If 50 is backed up to the Bay Bridge, get off 50 at Busch's Frontage Rd. and back on at Oceanic Rd. Since you're off the highway already, this is a good time for a gas and food stop since you've got Wawa right there (also a McD's if for some odd reason you don't like Wawa).

- Avoid 404 as much as possible. Not many people know about the parallel roads so take them instead.

- The closest beach is Cape Henlopen and you avoid traffic in Rehoboth and Dewey by going there. You can always swing over to one of those places for dinner after you're done at the beach.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Geez, I realized my post had so many typos it was unreadable. I like to get there by 9:30 and go to one of my favorite breakfast places and get a nice breakfast before hitting the beach. For OC, I'll either go to the Dough Roller/Fractured Prune, etc. Nothing like a bloated stomach in a bikini!!!!! This way you avoid traffic, get a decent breakfast, can mainly avoid worrying about lunch, and get on the beach just as it's getting sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia