Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullan03 View Post
PJ8, love what you had to say ... I def. don't want to drive an 1 1/2 each way for work ... guess there is no perfect area for me, we just migh end up living in Valpo.

I guess the train option won't be that bad, altho I haven't taken a train ride over 10+ years now, since I left NY but was considering parking the car during the winter and taking the train, which ever way, it's a killer try to Chicago.

So you def. would recommend Valpo vs. any other City? On the map, it looks a little more inland vs. being close to the water? Is there no rentals on the water?
I actually would recommend Schererville. It's about a 40 minute drive to Valpo and it takes me 50 mins to drive to Chicago. I have family in Valpo and work in Chicago, so I'm pretty certain about these times. You can head straight east on Route 30 to get to Valpo, it'd be real easy. Schererville might suit you the best. It's extremely safe and one of the more upscale towns in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 PM

320 posts, read 955,185 times
Quote:
Hi Domergurl, never considered Hammond but you mentioned "some" lovely and safe areas..."some". Is it worth looking into that areas, I won't know which areas are safer than the other.
SW side of hammond,

Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 37,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I actually would recommend Schererville. It's about a 40 minute drive to Valpo and it takes me 50 mins to drive to Chicago. I have family in Valpo and work in Chicago, so I'm pretty certain about these times. You can head straight east on Route 30 to get to Valpo, it'd be real easy. Schererville might suit you the best. It's extremely safe and one of the more upscale towns in the area.
@ Svillechris, thanks...

do you live in Schererville? This will def. is a discussion whether my husband will want to drive 40 mins for work. You mentioned you work in Chicago and it takes you 50 mins, is that the East Chicago or downtown Chicago?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
SW side of hammond,
From what I've read ... Hammond doesn't come off that safe.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM

320 posts, read 955,185 times
Quote:
From what I've read ... Hammond doesn't come off that safe.
It ain't.
But the SW side has some really nice, architecturally unique homes, and is a low crime area. Taxes are a bit exorbitant, though.

Have you actually visited the whole Chicago/ NWI area yet? You can take the advice of a bunch of random strangers on the Internet all you want, but the best thing to do is look at all the towns and get the feel for them.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
It ain't.
But the SW side has some really nice, architecturally unique homes, and is a low crime area. Taxes are a bit exorbitant, though.

Have you actually visited the whole Chicago/ NWI area yet? You can take the advice of a bunch of random strangers on the Internet all you want, but the best thing to do is look at all the towns and get the feel for them.
and you're absolutely right...

Do you have any suggested websites on the SW of Hammond? I love architectural details and might love what you're describing.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
@ Svillechris, thanks...

do you live in Schererville? This will def. is a discussion whether my husband will want to drive 40 mins for work. You mentioned you work in Chicago and it takes you 50 mins, is that the East Chicago or downtown Chicago?
I do live in Schererville, yes. I commute to downtown Chicago and it's about 45-50 minutes of a drive if you don't go in rush hour, maybe an hour or so in rush hour times. That's to Chicago, Illinois, not East Chicago. What I do is take route 30 west to 394, take that north to 94 straight up to the loop (downtown).

I should clarify my Valpo comment. It takes me 40 mins to get to my parents house on the north side of Valpo, so if he's working in Valpo near Rt. 30, it'll probably only be about a half hour, straight down Rt. 30.

I know I wasn't part of this discussion, but regarding Hammond, you probably should stay away. Sure, there may be an ok area here and there (yes this is probably SW Hammond), but it's not worth living that close to some really bad areas if you ask me.

Regarding rentals near the lake - unfortunately, almost all areas near the lake in NW Indiana are rather crappy. (Before people attack, I said "almost all"). These are the towns of East Chicago, Gary, and Portage... none are very nice at all, and that's putting it kindly. People go to the beach in these cities for an afternoon, but most live a bit further south.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I do live in Schererville, yes. I commute to downtown Chicago and it's about 45-50 minutes of a drive if you don't go in rush hour, maybe an hour or so in rush hour times. That's to Chicago, Illinois, not East Chicago. What I do is take route 30 west to 394, take that north to 94 straight up to the loop (downtown).

I should clarify my Valpo comment. It takes me 40 mins to get to my parents house on the north side of Valpo, so if he's working in Valpo near Rt. 30, it'll probably only be about a half hour, straight down Rt. 30.

I know I wasn't part of this discussion, but regarding Hammond, you probably should stay away. Sure, there may be an ok area here and there (yes this is probably SW Hammond), but it's not worth living that close to some really bad areas if you ask me.

Regarding rentals near the lake - unfortunately, almost all areas near the lake in NW Indiana are rather crappy. (Before people attack, I said "almost all"). These are the towns of East Chicago, Gary, and Portage... none are very nice at all, and that's putting it kindly. People go to the beach in these cities for an afternoon, but most live a bit further south.
Hey Svillechris, that's some very helpful info.

I guess when I get there, I will have to get use to the highways (Rt 30, 394 etc) but he's going to be working on Roosevelt Rd., in Valpo. Will that be 1/2hr drive to work?

40-50 mins to the Loop, not bad at all, but if your rush hours 7-8:00 AM like hours here in FL?

I know few people mention not to knock Valpo down because it has great restaurants, parks, etc etc...which I love, so tell me...what can I look forward to in Schererville?

Trust me, my husband is worst than me when it comes to safety so I doubt we will be in Hammond.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:

I guess when I get there, I will have to get use to the highways (Rt 30, 394 etc) but he's going to be working on Roosevelt Rd., in Valpo. Will that be 1/2hr drive to work?

40-50 mins to the Loop, not bad at all, but if your rush hours 7-8:00 AM like hours here in FL?

I know few people mention not to knock Valpo down because it has great restaurants, parks, etc etc...which I love, so tell me...what can I look forward to in Schererville?

Trust me, my husband is worst than me when it comes to safety so I doubt we will be in Hammond.
Schererville to Roosevelt Rd. ... 40 min.

What kind of Interior Design do you do - residential or commerical? My guess is that, if you can find a job in your field, you're not looking at a downtown Chicago location - most likely north or northwest suburbs which, no matter how you slice it, is going to be a hell of a commute.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Just an FYI, if you want to sound like you're from the area, pronounce Schererville like "share-uh-ville." but ya, Chukity is right, Schererville to Roosevelt Rd. is probably abt 35-40 min drive.

Schererville has a lot of great qualities, so much that it was actually voted #71 in the Top 100 Best Towns of America in 2007 in Money Magazine. I probably like the location more than any other aspect of living in Schererville. Any store you'd need is within 10 mins or so, most of which are in Schererville itself or in neighboring Merrillville near the mall. At the same time you're just 45 mins from Chicago and 20 mins from the beach. Also, if you're into working out, the best gym in the area, Omni 41, is located in Schererville.

The safety and overall suburbia neighborhood feel can also be felt all across the town. It's extremely safe and there are no streets or areas of Schererville that I would feel uncomfortable or unsafe walking around in.

Another aspect I love is that real estate prices and taxes are quite affordable in Schererville despite the great quality of living that the town provides. Although Schererville flows into a very good school system, seeing as how you don't have kids and schools aren't your number 1 priority, paying the premium for Munster schools may not be worth it for you and your husband. For example and comparisons sake, my house (2400 sq ft quad, 4 bed, 3 bath in a subdivision) was recently appraised around $270k and taxes are around $2300/yr. A family member of mine who has quite the similar house in Munster paid almost $400k for the house and pays $4600/yr in taxes. Many pay the premium for Munster due to the excellent schools, but you may not have that as a priority.

If there's anything else I can explain or answer for you, I'd be happy to elaborate!

Last edited by svillechris; 06-12-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana