Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times

Advertisements

I'm not relocating. I live in Flossmoor and I'm staying there. But I just transferred to Gary for my job.

I working a few exits east of Route 41. It's pretty far out far me. What are some good places I can get a bite to eat on the drive home? I wouldn't mind staying away from I-80 a little bit.

Not like fine dining. But Mexican food, gyros joints, carry out, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm not relocating. I live in Flossmoor and I'm staying there. But I just transferred to Gary for my job.

I working a few exits east of Route 41. It's pretty far out far me. What are some good places I can get a bite to eat on the drive home? I wouldn't mind staying away from I-80 a little bit.

Not like fine dining. But Mexican food, gyros joints, carry out, etc.
Congrats on the job transfer, and I hope everything is going well for you!

As far as places, here are my top choices for different types of places -

Mexican: Rancho Grande (in Highland, IN right off of Indianapolis Blvd adjacent to Ultra Foods...just a mile south of the Indy Blvd south exit)

Gyros: Munster Gyro in Munster...right on Calumet avenue lik a half mile south of the exit..on the SEC of Calumet Ave & Ridgeway Ave

Other suggestions

Exotic Thai: about a mile south of Rancho Grande on the NWC of Indy Blvd & 45th Ave behind the enterprise rent-a-car...very good and CHEAP Thai food. Not as good as Siam Marina by River Oaks but MUCH less expensive.

The Wheel: located as soon as you get off the Indy North exit it will be on the left side next to that gas station (forgot the name)...it is like your typical NWI 24-hour (or nearly 24-hour) diner but with the best lemon rice soup in the area. They have very good chicken breasts too.

If you want more suggestions (and can specify food genres) I will suggest more!

Note: Chinese food in the area is not that great, so I don't order that around here. But the most decent I have had in the area is China Buffet in Schererville off of Indianapolis and just north of 30 (across the street from Wal-Mart) or Golden Phoenix (on Main St. just west of Indy Blvd). However, traveling that far down south on Indy (if during rush hour) will set you back a lot of time in traveling home. However, at least for the most part it will be a reverse commute opposite from traffic until you get to major roads from the exits.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
I agree with Rancho Grande! That place is really good. You also may want to check out Amici Grill and Pizzaria. It's on Ridge Rd in Highland just west of Cline. They have everything from pizza to gyros to hoagies.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM

71 posts, read 227,770 times
Rancho Grande is in fact very good, but Memo's is much better. Memo's is just west of Indianapolis and 45th in Porte De Lieu (?) plaza. Very well calibrated. Munster Gyros is a clear #1. Oh, and there is a Culver's being put in at Ridge and Cline.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,539 times
I suggest trying Maria's Buena Cocina in Highland (Condit St. and Kennedy Ave.). It is freshly made traditional Mexican food.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM

Great suggestions.. I will check em out.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM

300 posts, read 638,723 times
Default .

Quote:
Great suggestions.. I will check em out.
I know you said near Gary, but you ever checked out Aristons in Hazel Crest? They cook a mean gryo...

Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 PM

Default Sorry if this post stayed away from the intenion of this particular forum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
I know you said near Gary, but you ever checked out Aristons in Hazel Crest? They cook a mean gryo...
Yep, kinda pricey but good stuff. Artison's is the closest gyros joints to where I live. According to Google Maps, it's 7 minutes away. It was one of the first things I noticed after moving to Flossmoor.

My only complaint about Artison's is that they close at 11PM (although they are open till 1 on Friday and Saturday). Unlike Ariston's, I can go to Big Boys in the Heights after working a second shift. Although ever since this happened, I seem to be the only white person in Big Boys late at night (unless it's someone WITH me): 2 charged in shooting death of Chicago Heights Woman - Chicago Sun-Times

I'd actually be PASSING Ariston's during my commute if you could actually head east from Kedzie exit on I-80 (or exit on Kedzie when you're coming from the east). So instead I have to drive over to Halsted from Flossmoor if I want to head east on I-80. That's so annoying and I'm gonna complain to the Illinois department of Transportation. The only reason why I haven't already is because I suspect that there's really nothing I can do about it.

But yeah, Ariston's is top notche. I already know all the spots in my area though.

Last edited by urza216; 02-06-2013 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Yep, kinda pricey but good stuff. Artison's is the closest gyros joints to where I live. According to Google Maps, it's 7 minutes away. It was one of the first things I noticed after moving to Flossmoor.

My only complaint about Artison's is that they close at 11PM (although they are open till 1 on Friday and Saturday). Unlike Ariston's, I can go to Big Boys in the Heights after working a second shift. Although ever since this happened, I seem to be the only white person in Big Boys late at night (unless it's someone WITH me): 2 charged in shooting death of Chicago Heights Woman - Chicago Sun-Times

I'd actually be PASSING Ariston's during my commute if you could actually head east from Kedzie exit on I-80 (or exit on Kedzie when you're coming from the east). So instead I have to drive over to Halsted from Flossmoor if I want to head east on I-80. That's so annoying and I'm gonna complain to the Illinois department of Transportation. The only reason why I haven't already is because I suspect that there's really nothing I can do about it.

But yeah, Ariston's is top notche. I already know all the spots in my area though.
It's really silly. I can go to Orland or Joliet from Kedzie Avenue. But if I'm going to Calumet City or Indiana, I cannot hop on I-80 from Kedzie. Perhaps even worse - If someone from Portage, Indiana is heading west on I-80 and exits onto Kedzie to get gas, they can't get back on the intertate unless it's to head back west.. Dixie Highway is the same way. It makes no sense. Why did they build it like that?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Urza, I work in Gary. LOVE the Mexican food at Camino Real, 6821 Grand Ave, Hammond. I don't think that would be too far out of the way for you. It's a restaurant and bar; not fast food.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana