Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

Hi..another relocation thread. My new wife and I will be relocating because of my job. I will be working in Gary, IN, I'm sure you folks can figure out where.

We want to live in the NWI area because we want to be somewhat close to downtown, somewhat close to Gary, and close to the Kankakee County speedway (don't laugh ). My wife MUST work in Illinois because of license reciprocity from PA to IL for her job. Living out east towards Valpairso which my employer suggested is further than she and I want her to drive, especially in the winter, and the other places we want to be.

We're definitely looking for apartments because I dont expect the job will keep me in the area more than 3-5 years and we are recently married with no kids. Specifically we found Prairie Park apartment complex in Merrillville, which seems pretty good, if a bit expensive. We are also looking at Mallard Bay and Fountain View apartment complexes in Crown Point.

Hammond, Munster, and Dyer don't seem to offer much in the way of apartments?

I think we've done a pretty good job of researching online, but we've been told that certain parts of Merrillville are sketchy, but using Google Earth it seems the area all around Prairie Park is cul de sacs and homes with pools in the back yard so thinking that neighborhood can't be bad.

As far as a bit more personal, we are mid 20's just married, college educated, not big club/partyers but we do enjoy going out for dinner and a beer or two from time to time. Want to have a little bit of peace and quiet while we're at home though too. The fact that we are not big "go out" people and getting more bang for our buck rent wise living in Indiana has us really focused on this area. Probably will be moving October 1st -ish.

Thanks for any advice

If anyone knows anything about Prairie Point Apartments specifically that would be terrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire0nice228 View Post
Hi..another relocation thread. My new wife and I will be relocating because of my job. I will be working in Gary, IN, I'm sure you folks can figure out where.

We want to live in the NWI area because we want to be somewhat close to downtown, somewhat close to Gary, and close to the Kankakee County speedway (don't laugh ). My wife MUST work in Illinois because of license reciprocity from PA to IL for her job. Living out east towards Valpairso which my employer suggested is further than she and I want her to drive, especially in the winter, and the other places we want to be.

We're definitely looking for apartments because I dont expect the job will keep me in the area more than 3-5 years and we are recently married with no kids. Specifically we found Prairie Park apartment complex in Merrillville, which seems pretty good, if a bit expensive. We are also looking at Mallard Bay and Fountain View apartment complexes in Crown Point.

I think we've done a pretty good job of researching online, but we've been told that certain parts of Merrillville are sketchy, but using Google Earth it seems the area all around Prairie Park is cul de sacs and homes with pools in the back yard so thinking that neighborhood can't be bad.

As far as a bit more personal, we are mid 20's just married, college educated, not big club/partyers but we do enjoy going out for dinner and a beer or two from time to time. Want to have a little bit of peace and quiet while we're at home though too. The fact that we are not big "go out" people and getting more bang for our buck rent wise living in Indiana has us really focused on this area. Probably will be moving October 1st -ish.

Thanks for any advice

If anyone knows anything about Prairie Point Apartments specifically that would be terrific.
Since you do not have children and will be renting, then Merrillville (specifically, south of Rt. 30) should not be a major issue. That area of Merrillville is still reasonably safe although it seems as if there are more issues occurring in Merrillville/North CP every day. While I think Prairie Point is nice, I would rather live across 93rd Ave in Mallard Bay. It is less expensive to live in and if I am renting and two places are essentially somewhat similar and in the same geographic location, I would likely go with the less expensive option. Mallard Bay feels more traditional apartment/condo as opposed to townhome feeling of Prairie Point which to me, is the only downside. But again, if I am renting short-term, it is not a big deal.

The advantage of the Mallard Bay/Prairie Point location is that you are close to all of the amenities that US 30 has to offer.

Munster, Highland, Schererville, and Dyer do not really have any newer options for rentals. In Munster, rentals are few (and traditional rentals getting fewer) and tend to be overpriced as they tend to attract new families who want the benefits of the schools and location but cannot afford a home in town. These residents are paying similar to what people are paying in Merrillville/CP except in Munster they are getting much older and smaller places. Highland and Munster also have relatively newer (10-15 year old) rentals, but they are extremely expensive.

Hammond could be an option if you live in south Hammond around Purdue Calumet. Apartment rentals are mostly students though. You may find a nice home to rent for about the same as Mallard Bay or Prairie Point in Merrillville, but you may not want a home.

I will suggest two more options. The first option is Whiting, IN. It has a tight knit community which can be unwelcoming to outsiders at first, but also comforting to know that you will have vigilant neighbors. They have nice offerings but it may be too industrial of an area. It is a safe area as well.

Another option is Burns Harbor, IN (near Portage and Chesterton). There are some apartment offerings there and a new development within the Village of Burns Harbor subdivision called "Traditions at Burns Harbor" is constructing apartments that look really nice. This will be very convenient to Gary for work and just as easy to get to Chicago as from Merrillville or CP. The downside would probably be that you would not be that close to areas for entertainment as you would in the other areas listed.

These are just some of my ideas. If you need anything else, let us know!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Good advise from NW Indiana above. I would move a bit closer to the border Indiana side. You might be doing online searches for apartments but not all will show up. There are smaller independently owned units that won't show up. Highland is not a bad option at all. Its middle of the road with a great central location for your needs. Munster can be overpriced but there are very few rental units available probably on purpose. Southern Hammond as stated might be another option but it might not be that appealing as it is older. I would also look into Schererville/ St. John/Dyer. You might want to actually move to a hotel or do a month to month lease first and then drive around to look at other units and get a feel of the area and then decide

I wouldn't go into Whiting as the area's air is polluted and surrounded by refineries

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
Crown Point is really nice to live in. Fountain view apartments is a great bargain. You can save like up to 4000-5000 dollars a year renting there instead of Mallard Bay or Prairie Point. The apartments are bigger, the management is responsive, the complex is quiet and safe. No pool, though. We joined the ymca and that great. 4000 dollars can buy a lot of extra nights out.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:20 PM

141 posts, read 217,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire0nice228 View Post

Thanks for any advice

I lived at Prairie Point Apartments from 2009-2012 and I loved it. They are very clean, a lot of amenities and the management was great. They are also building new apartments with high end finishes like granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and hard wood floors. It is very convenient as well. It is also very safe, as I have never had any issues with break ins or unsavory neighbors. I think the cost deters that.

The cons:
It is expensive! I paid $1,200 a month for a 2 bed/2 bath and a garage. I pay almost 400 less for my mortgage now.

The walls are kind of thin and you can hear the neighbors. I did have a family upstairs that were very loud and could here EVERYTHING! It was ridiculous, but after a few complaints they were gone.

Another option is Brickshire, which is right next door off Merrillville Road. They are the same management as Mallard Bay but brand new. I think they are a little cheaper than Prairie Point

I also lived at Mallard Bay from 2006-2009. They are about 100 cheaper per month, but for me it was worth the extra money to have a brand new apartment. The appliances at Mallard Bay are cheap, and all electric and there are 3 floors rather than 2. I lived on the bottom floor and had issues with flooding and the management to me was sub-par.
If you have anymore questions let me know, that's all I can think of for now.

Last edited by Nikko12; 10-06-2014 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana