Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,106 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I received a call from a 3rd party natural gas supplier (REALGY Energy LLC) for Northern Indiana Public Service CO. They claim 4% less on the gas bill, regardless of the current NIPSCO rate. They are one of the suppliers of natural gas to the area. Meanwhile, the gas company will still read the meter and send the bill.

Paying less per therm may be the only benefit if I switch suppliers. Because of this call from them, I discovered that the price per therm is quite low already. I was on a price fix guarantee which I had to cancel before Realgy would sign me up. The guy had to be on the phone listening to me cancel the contract. That was a little strange and made me suspicious. I think the guy didn't want to waste his time. However, I found out that the price on a cash pay basis is 17 cents lower than the fixed rate as of January 2016.

Regardless, this may not be the deal of the year if there is no guarantee that Realgy Energy delivery charges and/or fees, will be any different than I am already paying. Before committing to a new supplier, I would more information from anyone who has their service already, before I commit to their 2 year contract. Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 AM

277 posts, read 444,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOpinion View Post
Before committing to a new supplier, I would more information from anyone who has their service already, before I commit to their 2 year contract. Anybody?

I am not a customer of Realgy so these are all opinions made after looking into the product myself.

Some simple sleuthing may dig up some dirt that could influence your decision. You actually made me think it could be something I might want to look into. Although there are usually "slammers" of products in every shape and form I did find credible looking sources that explained their bad experience logically.

First, they are rated B+ on the BBB Business Review. If it was a foolproof product switch, I believe anything less than an A isn't worth my time. 28 complaints against them (majority billing related)

Here's a couple of quotes that I found:

"unfortunately the fine print of the agreement basically states they can charge you any additional charges they want to."

"They charge ancillary service fees, capacity, transmission or delivery service, renewal or standard portfolio goals, losses, reconciliation, and applicable charges as identified by the Seller. "

It almost seems like they may add charges based on if their revenue goals have been met or not. I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but it maybe it's like an ability to offset profit margins if need be.

I personally wouldn't invest.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,106 times
Just so you know. I cancelled this supplier. Although Realgy Energy Service is legit and offered as one of 12 gas providers through the N.I.P.S.CO Choice Program. I was told there have been complaints from other customers, just like me. The first thing Realgy requires us to do is stop the "price protection service". The Realgy Service sales agent, asked ME, to stop the price protection in order to get their discount. He connected me to the right party. But, required me to do all the talking (they are not allowed). After that, he enrolled me into their service program.

The following day, I had a doubt. It could cost me more in the long run. I called NIPSCO back and explained how this happened. She reported to her supervisor who assured me I would not be charged the PPS cancellation fee of $120, (it's twenty dollars for every month left on the contract). She also told me that one lady said the guy was in the room with her, while calling to cancel. More than likely, it probably happened to her, the same way it happened to me. It was all done over the phone. She acted on the moment, without any time to think about it or change her mind.

A week later, I stopped their service, after the welcome letter arrived. They invite you to see their service plans: realgyenergyservices.com/service-plans. You have to be enrolled to read it. More importantly, there is an "early termination fee of $80, if you terminate before the end of the 2 year contract and they automatically renew the contract in 2 years without telling you.

I have learned some things through this. Find out what the real current rate is per therm. Through all this I subsequently discovered that last year it was .175 (seventeen and one half cents) per therm when the NIPSCO through the PPS charged me sixty-two (62) cents per therm. Right now it is 30 cents and they were charging me 47-1/2 cents per therm. NIPSCO only offers a protection service for the current rate at the time of the contract. I am off the price protection and I will stay that way. NIPSCO wasn't doing me any favors either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana