Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,243 times

Advertisements

So my fiancee and I are trying to meet new people! I moved here from Chicago and have no friends and am having such a difficult time meeting them! My fiancee and I are mature for our ages (we're 23 and own a house and our getting married in June) we just want to meet people that our like us and want to hang out and have a good time! My financee finished college and works in Chicago and I am currently enrolled in college and have about a year till I am done however everyone that I meet there is either super young or I have nothing in common with them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to meet people!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Unfortunately, this is not the best place for young people to live and meet new people. While NWI is close to Chicago, the vibe of the place is quite different.
You'll have to keep in mind that many people in your age group living here now have been living here for a long time (their whole lives, in many cases). Thus, a lot of people have their social networks set up. Based on your comments, you may not fit in with a lot of locals around your age. A lot of people around this age (and much older) will still be living at home.
There are bars (Sheffield's, Cavanaugh's, Woodhollow, Corkers), but you may or may not meet people there who you'll remain friends with.
Can you provide some more information on where you live and your interests?
It's possible, but this is not the best place to accomplish your goal of meeting new people.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Unfortunately, this is not the best place for young people to live and meet new people. While NWI is close to Chicago, the vibe of the place is quite different.
You'll have to keep in mind that many people in your age group living here now have been living here for a long time (their whole lives, in many cases). Thus, a lot of people have their social networks set up. Based on your comments, you may not fit in with a lot of locals around your age. A lot of people around this age (and much older) will still be living at home.
There are bars (Sheffield's, Cavanaugh's, Woodhollow, Corkers), but you may or may not meet people there who you'll remain friends with.
Can you provide some more information on where you live and your interests?
It's possible, but this is not the best place to accomplish your goal of meeting new people.
That makes me quite nervous as I am beginning my first steps of migration to NWI from W NY... you go to a bar here and you have made friends, contacts... are people just not as welcoming?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM

They're probably no less welcoming. It's just that the demographic is not very similar to urban areas. I've gone to bars around here, but haven't tried that hard to meet people. You're not going to have the same types of social groups (like on meetup.com for example) as you have in Chicago proper.
Maybe I should rephrase what I said in the sense that NWI may not be the easiest place to meet people. You'll succeed if you try hard enough, but you'll have to go out of your way.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
They're probably no less welcoming. It's just that the demographic is not very similar to urban areas. I've gone to bars around here, but haven't tried that hard to meet people. You're not going to have the same types of social groups (like on meetup.com for example) as you have in Chicago proper.
Maybe I should rephrase what I said in the sense that NWI may not be the easiest place to meet people. You'll succeed if you try hard enough, but you'll have to go out of your way.
I am either thickheaded or it is a Chicago thing... have no clue what meetup.com is... sounds like match.com and that is of no interest... Am I off base? Are there many networking groups? Clubs that are popular? There must be ways- besides volunteering. What about fitness clubs, rec classes? Are there many options? I find taking classes at these places helps you meet people...especially if you are a regular at the class...

Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Have you thought about meeting people at church?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM

17,416 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
That makes me quite nervous as I am beginning my first steps of migration to NWI from W NY... you go to a bar here and you have made friends, contacts... are people just not as welcoming?
I would think there's a huge difference between twentysomething's without kids and parents with kids - I think you said in another post that you have two, right?

In my early 20's, I met new friends through work/school. After kids, and after we moved here to Valpo, I met all my friends through them. I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
If you have kids, you can easily meet people through parent groups/preschools/going to the park.

I remember before we had kids, we built a house in the burbs of Chicago and we were the only people without kids on the block ... guess what, nobody wanted anything to do with us. But boy, once we had kids ...

Sorry Alex, it's tough in NWI if you don't already have friends or family in the area.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM

Meetup.com is not a dating site. It's a site for people in the same area with similar interests to form groups and, on occasion, meetup in person. For example, there maybe
an NYC Yoga lovers group, etc.

I agree with the previous post that NWI can be tough without previously established friends and family in the area. That's typical of areas that have a high percentage of people raised in the area. Places that draw people from all over (NYC, DC, etc) are going to be much more conducive to meeting others.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 AM

I am happy to hear kids help the move... I would hate to make the jump with kids in tow and it be difficult for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana