Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2018, 11:07 PM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,984,610 times
Reputation: 6324

Advertisements

This (and home run inn frozen pizza) are the things I miss most about not living in NWI anymore.

No restaurants here serve the soup and none of the pictures of recipes online look like the soup. I can't find a recipe that has the color and thickness of the soup.

Help me recreate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2018, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Reputation: 24241
I don't know if this is what you want, but this is a fantastic recipe. It reminds me of the soup served in a Greek diner I worked at during my college summers that was located in NWI. I've tried lots of other recipes, but this is the best I've found.

Be sure to use real lemons--not bottled juice. It makes a huge difference. I also typically put in a bit more juice than in the recipe and use white onions instead of red as in the recipe. I also don't cook the rice in the soup, but on the side. I then add it to the soup or to the bowls so it doesn't blow up too much. You will likely need more water than the recipe states to cook the chicken. I add more eggs based on how much more water I use. I've also made it with broth I made previously and froze. Just added some poached chicken. If I had some lemons, I'd make it today.

Greek lemon Chicken Soup recipe (Kotosoupa Avgolemono) - My Greek Dish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 10:18 AM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,984,610 times
Reputation: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I don't know if this is what you want, but this is a fantastic recipe. It reminds me of the soup served in a Greek diner I worked at during my college summers that was located in NWI. I've tried lots of other recipes, but this is the best I've found.

Be sure to use real lemons--not bottled juice. It makes a huge difference. I also typically put in a bit more juice than in the recipe and use white onions instead of red as in the recipe. I also don't cook the rice in the soup, but on the side. I then add it to the soup or to the bowls so it doesn't blow up too much. You will likely need more water than the recipe states to cook the chicken. I add more eggs based on how much more water I use. I've also made it with broth I made previously and froze. Just added some poached chicken. If I had some lemons, I'd make it today.

Greek lemon Chicken Soup recipe (Kotosoupa Avgolemono) - My Greek Dish
The viscosity is closer but it still doesn't look as thick and the color is off. Ugh, why don't they freeze and ship it? Here's what it looks like ...

Recipes: Lemon rice soup a hit at home and at restaurants | Food and Cooking | nwitimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Reputation: 24241
I should have mentioned, mine doesn't look like the picture when I make it. It's a bit thicker and more yellow like your pictures. An additional egg will make it thicker. Some of the thickness also comes from the rice starch.

I use a soup base to flavor the chicken broth a bit more which adds to the yellow color. Use a Soup base, not bouillon cubes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,583 posts, read 6,663,301 times
Reputation: 14786
I don't have a recipe but I'll be watching to see if anyone posts one. I LOVE that soup!!!


You should be able to buy a frozen Home Run Inn pizza at your local grocery store. It's my girls favorite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 05:33 PM
 
3,532 posts, read 2,984,610 times
Reputation: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don't have a recipe but I'll be watching to see if anyone posts one. I LOVE that soup!!!


You should be able to buy a frozen Home Run Inn pizza at your local grocery store. It's my girls favorite!
They don't sell the pizza in the NY grocery store. They sell it on their website but it's the small ones and it's $$$$. I just moved up to Rochester, NY today from downstate and I heard that some aldis carry them, so I'll check the one here. Fingers crossed!

I might have to get you to overnight me a gallon of soup! My friends there in NWI are mostly guts and I just know it'd be too complicated for them lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,583 posts, read 6,663,301 times
Reputation: 14786
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
They don't sell the pizza in the NY grocery store. They sell it on their website but it's the small ones and it's $$$$. I just moved up to Rochester, NY today from downstate and I heard that some aldis carry them, so I'll check the one here. Fingers crossed!

I might have to get you to overnight me a gallon of soup! My friends there in NWI are mostly guts and I just know it'd be too complicated for them lol.


LOL! I hate to tell you this, but we went to Round the Clock this past Thursday and I had Lemon Rice Soup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2020, 09:51 AM
 
3,009 posts, read 2,195,014 times
Reputation: 10783
Bumping this back up because I have been craving this like crazy! Maybe in the last couple of years someone new has joined?

Does anyone have a recipe for the iconic NWI Lemon Rice Soup? Round the Clock, Commander, etc.??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2020, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Reputation: 24241
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Bumping this back up because I have been craving this like crazy! Maybe in the last couple of years someone new has joined?

Does anyone have a recipe for the iconic NWI Lemon Rice Soup? Round the Clock, Commander, etc.??
I posted one of the two recipes above. They are similar, but one uses pasta and one uses rice. They are as close as you'll get at home. Just don't scramble the eggs Patience and care is needed for that step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2020, 12:25 PM
 
3,009 posts, read 2,195,014 times
Reputation: 10783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I posted one of the two recipes above. They are similar, but one uses pasta and one uses rice. They are as close as you'll get at home. Just don't scramble the eggs Patience and care is needed for that step.
Yeah, but that one seems too authentic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top