Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,448 times

Advertisements

Will UHM require documented proof of flight info of my move for when I started establishing my residency? How extensive is the process (i.e. interview, verification of information submitted)?

I want to attend UHM beginning in fall '12, and I am currently a resident of California. I have read through UHM's Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules Title 20, Chapter 4: Determination of Residency as Applied to Tuition and Admission (PDF) a few times, and I have spoken with a residency counselor on the phone. Since I plan to start my residency at the end of this July, but not physically move myself/things until mid October, I will be able to provide almost all of the necessary documents that are listed in the policy (and from what the residency counselor told me), except for proof that I flew myself to Hawaii at the end of July.

I greatly appreciate any helpful information, esp. from those who have gone through this process of establishing residency (I want to hear about the successes and rejections!), mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
In your post I read nothing about coming to Hawaii and getting a job and paying taxes. In your case you are asking if sitting at the beach, collecting unemployment and getting food stamps for under 1 year qualifies you to have your tuition subsidized.

The person you interview with to review your case for residency is specifically looking to prevent people from trying to scam the system and claim residency just to get lower tuition at the cost of Hawaii taxpayers.

You should establish a job in Hawaii. BEFORE you set foot in Hawaii with a written offer. Keep the letter of invite, and the paychecks and tax returns you filed in the State of Hawaii.

Plan on working a minimum of 1 full year before considering any enrollment in any school in Hawaii. It is a little less risky to take courses by the Internet. However, demonstrating you are a student is exactly why denial is justified. You are not a resident of Hawaii if you live here for 5 years and are taking courses all that time and only working summer jobs or even if you get a full time job here...IF you moved here just to come to school.

Anyone disagree?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
Our daughter had to show an actual pay stub from the week she claimed her residency started, plus a signed leased, voter registration and had to file HI state income tax.

So, if you try to claim you came in July...but won't actually move til Oct, it won't work. UH is really tough on establishing residency.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
In your post I read nothing about coming to Hawaii and getting a job and paying taxes. In your case you are asking if sitting at the beach, collecting unemployment and getting food stamps for under 1 year qualifies you to have your tuition subsidized.

The person you interview with to review your case for residency is specifically looking to prevent people from trying to scam the system and claim residency just to get lower tuition at the cost of Hawaii taxpayers.

You should establish a job in Hawaii. BEFORE you set foot in Hawaii with a written offer. Keep the letter of invite, and the paychecks and tax returns you filed in the State of Hawaii.

Plan on working a minimum of 1 full year before considering any enrollment in any school in Hawaii. It is a little less risky to take courses by the Internet. However, demonstrating you are a student is exactly why denial is justified. You are not a resident of Hawaii if you live here for 5 years and are taking courses all that time and only working summer jobs or even if you get a full time job here...IF you moved here just to come to school.

Anyone disagree?
The OP didn't say anything about sitting on the beach and collecting food stamps. And I wonder how feasible it is to expect a recent HS graduate to get a written job offer prior to enrolling in college? You may well be pontificating to a 17 year old.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiao'r View Post
Will UHM require documented proof of flight info of my move for when I started establishing my residency? How extensive is the process (i.e. interview, verification of information submitted)?

I want to attend UHM beginning in fall '12, and I am currently a resident of California. I have read through UHM's Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules Title 20, Chapter 4: Determination of Residency as Applied to Tuition and Admission (PDF) a few times, and I have spoken with a residency counselor on the phone. Since I plan to start my residency at the end of this July, but not physically move myself/things until mid October, I will be able to provide almost all of the necessary documents that are listed in the policy (and from what the residency counselor told me), except for proof that I flew myself to Hawaii at the end of July.

I greatly appreciate any helpful information, esp. from those who have gone through this process of establishing residency (I want to hear about the successes and rejections!), mahalo!
If you can provide almost all of the necessary documents to prove Hawai'i residency, just fly to Hawai'i in July. A roundtrip ticket to Honolulu from LAX or SFO can be found for under $600. There's nothing wrong with flying to Honolulu in the morning, eating lunch at Zippy's, and returning to California in the evening, if it'll save you thousands of dollars in tuition. Just don't tell the UH "residency counselor" that you went back to California.

If you have any Native Hawaiian ancestry, you don't even have to worry about proving residency since there's an "exemption."
UH Manoa Residency Requirement Exemptions

Last edited by Jonah K; 06-20-2011 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

Anyone disagree?
If the current president of the University of Hawai'i (Mary Rita Cooke Greenwood) can get away with scamming the UH Board of Regents, Hawai'i taxpayers, the University of California, and California taxpayers, a potential student who's a California resident should be able to get away with it.
No.2 official at UC quits suddenly / University probes possibility of favoritism in hiring of friend and son of provost
MRC Greenwood and "A Powerful Coterie of larcenous. . . ." (UH's next system President?)
UH president spends $130K in 11 months - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
I wonder about the quality of your advice, Jonah. People moving into California to establish residency to attend a community college are GRILLED and expected to produce rent receipts, utility bills etc to prove they lived in California during the time they claim. I would be very surprised if UH officials aren't at least as strict.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I wonder about the quality of your advice, Jonah. People moving into California to establish residency to attend a community college are GRILLED and expected to produce rent receipts, utility bills etc to prove they lived in California during the time they claim. I would be very surprised if UH officials aren't at least as strict.
I'm assuming that the OP already has already registered to vote in Hawai'i, has a local bank account, library card, etc. Some folks that plan to attend UH already have relatives and/or friends that will provide them with free housing, so rent receipts and utility bills might not be readily available or important in determining residency. Since each situation is somewhat unique, that's one of the reasons UH has a "residency counselor." If the OP only needs proof that they flew to Hawai'i in July 2011, then the best thing to do is fly to Hawai'i in July and retain the outbound boarding pass, e-ticket number, etc. as "proof." Since the OP intends to return "home" to Hawai'i in October that should be just enough to pass the "domicile test."

Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
they will want enough proof tnat the person was a resident and not just playing the system. They can show just about any receipt that shows they were on hawaii enough during the period. The Op just needs to show cash or credit card receipts or statements for routine purchases to satisfy the rule. the date residency starts is the date that the person establishes residency they can't claim a date based only on a airline ticket and show nothing else for months. They can change all their stuff like drivers licenses, tax witholding etc to meet the needs but just an airline ticket isn;t going to work.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
they will want enough proof tnat the person was a resident and not just playing the system. They can show just about any receipt that shows they were on hawaii enough during the period. The Op just needs to show cash or credit card receipts or statements for routine purchases to satisfy the rule. the date residency starts is the date that the person establishes residency they can't claim a date based only on a airline ticket and show nothing else for months. They can change all their stuff like drivers licenses, tax witholding etc to meet the needs but just an airline ticket isn;t going to work.
So far, the OP will be able to provide almost all of the necessary documents to prove residency except an airline ticket that shows that they flew to Hawai'i in July 2011.

Here's a link to the requirements for resident tuition rates at UH Mānoa...
Hawai'i Residency Requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: