Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,113 times

Advertisements

All having spent time in Oahu on (vacation) and being admirers of Hawaiin culture the three of us are moving to Oahu. A couple and one family member. We all plan on living together. No job prospects, about 25 thousand combined savings and hope to get jobs in the service industry, as we all have years of experience (management, bartending, and waiting tables). One of us has a clean record, I had a dwi in 07 (now 4 years sober) the other 1 felony who has left that lifestyle behind her over 10 years ago. Were all in our late twenties and have realistic expectations of our transition to life in Oahu. We will return if necessary well before we burn through our savings. With that being said, what angle should we take finding a place to live? We are open to any route we may need to take to make this possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen11 View Post
All having spent time in Oahu on (vacation) and being admirers of Hawaiin culture the three of us are moving to Oahu. A couple and one family member. We all plan on living together. No job prospects, about 25 thousand combined savings and hope to get jobs in the service industry, as we all have years of experience (management, bartending, and waiting tables). One of us has a clean record, I had a dwi in 07 (now 4 years sober) the other 1 felony who has left that lifestyle behind her over 10 years ago. Were all in our late twenties and have realistic expectations of our transition to life in Oahu. We will return if necessary well before we burn through our savings. With that being said, what angle should we take finding a place to live? We are open to any route we may need to take to make this possible.
There is a saying, hope is not a strategy -

With that said - not every landlord will do a criminal background check so I'm not sure the felony thing is the dealbreaker.

Your bigger issue is getting a landlord to rent to you with as you put it, no job prospects. I'd start with getting in writing glowing references from previous landlords - you may also want to look into a sublet where you may not have to commit to a full year. Someone might be more willing to take a chance for a 4 month rental - and that would give you a chance to get jobs and an employment - or if you burn thru your savings, move back.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM

281 posts, read 256,270 times
It seems to me that if you care about your state (assuming you live in Hawaii), that you would do all you can to dissuade people of "limited means" from coming to Hawaii.

Instead, I would suggest that the state,, and its citizens, do all it can to attract people of means and substance - i.e. people with a future - to move there along with their bank accounts, dreams, aspirations to help grow the state.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
It seems to me that if you care about your state (assuming you live in Hawaii), that you would do all you can to dissuade people of "limited means" from coming to Hawaii.

Instead, I would suggest that the state,, and its citizens, do all it can to attract people of means and substance - i.e. people with a future - to move there along with their bank accounts, dreams, aspirations to help grow the state.

Just my opinion.
Hawaii, at least the governments and businesses, probably benefits from people spending more than they earn. For example last year I spent $5000 more than I made. It's stimulus for the economy... just like allen11's $25000.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 AM

281 posts, read 256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Hawaii, at least the governments and businesses, probably benefits from people spending more than they earn. For example last year I spent $5000 more than I made. It's stimulus for the economy... just like allen11's $25000.
That is not sustainable, just a financial "buffer".

Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:

Just my opinion.
Did I miss something - what does this have to do with the original post?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:

Just my opinion.
Ya know, I have always advised against folks moving to Hawaii unprepared for the cost and culture shock difference between vacation and residency ... but I gotta say, the way you put this smacks of a kind of elitism that rubs me the wrong way ... maybe you don't mean it to come across as snobbish, but it's your third post I've read today that strikes me thus.

"People of means and substance"? Define means and substance, please. Money defines a person's "substance"? Their "means"?

Seems to me that "means" can be a particular trade or professional ability that might be in demand, regardless of cash on hand. "Means" also can be found in attitude and focus. "Substance" can be character, no? ... the kind of person who contributes to community and is supportive.

Did you really mean it on a cash value basis? Is that how you define "substance" and worth?

And finally: why would we want to "grow" the state? It is kinda bursting at the seams already and hard on those who have history here to find ways to stay here. Pretty maxed out. "Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell." -- Edward Abbey

Last edited by nullgeo; 01-17-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There is a saying, hope is not a strategy -

With that said - not every landlord will do a criminal background check so I'm not sure the felony thing is the dealbreaker.

Your bigger issue is getting a landlord to rent to you with as you put it, no job prospects. I'd start with getting in writing glowing references from previous landlords - you may also want to look into a sublet where you may not have to commit to a full year. Someone might be more willing to take a chance for a 4 month rental - and that would give you a chance to get jobs and an employment - or if you burn thru your savings, move back.
Fair enough, thanks for the suggestions, good to know we have options despite apparently not having any hopes dreams or aspirations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu