Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM

109 posts, read 350,988 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of negative responses to those who want to move to Oahu, and for good reason. I understand that the cost of living is very high, you may get island fever, etc. But, I want to hear from anyone who moved to Oahu, didn't make that much money, yet was able to get by, pay rent, and enjoy their dream.. in their own special way. I am not asking to hear about those who came, went broke, and slept in a tent. I would like to hear from those, maybe a couple, who moved there because it was something they always wanted to do, because they didn't want to grow old wishing they would have taken a chance...and made it, on less than what most peole say they would need.

How did you do it, what reccomendations would you have for others with the same goal. How much did you make, how much was rent, what did you do to save on groceries, expenses, etc.

Please let me (us) know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
I hear a lot of negative responses to those who want to move to Oahu, and for good reason. I understand that the cost of living is very high, you may get island fever, etc. But, I want to hear from anyone who moved to Oahu, didn't make that much money, yet was able to get by, pay rent, and enjoy their dream.. in their own special way. I am not asking to hear about those who came, went broke, and slept in a tent. I would like to hear from those, maybe a couple, who moved there because it was something they always wanted to do, because they didn't want to grow old wishing they would have taken a chance...and made it, on less than what most peole say they would need.

How did you do it, what reccomendations would you have for others with the same goal. How much did you make, how much was rent, what did you do to save on groceries, expenses, etc.

Please let me (us) know!!
Moved when I was 22, took $1500 and a duffle bag full of clothes and landed with no job and a reservation at a hostel.I lived at a hostel on Lemon Rd (in waikiki) for the first 2 months while I looked for work and an apartment.

To save money I primarily ate frozen vegetables and rice, with the occasional Jack and the Box dollar menu for protein. I got a job pretty quickly at Hanauma bay renting snorkel gear and picking up golf balls at the ala wai driving range making $7.25 an hour plus the occasional tip (the same company had the contract for both places so I could work at either). I put out tons of resumes and filled out a bunch of applications with the City and County of Honolulu. After about 6 months, I got a better job with a contract security company after that making $9 an hour and found a room for rent for $500 a month (utilities included) in a house. It was hard, but I was young and content to play at the park or on the beach in my free time.

A year and a half into being there I got a call back about a job with the city (I had forgotten about it already) and was hired making about $30k. Life was fairly comfortable after that. Didn't have enough to save much or travel but I paid my bills and had a little left over for fun. Did that for 3 years, then went to grad school, met my wife, got married, moved away...

7 years total, never made more than $35k in a single year and probably averaged close to $20k/yr overall. I paid anywhere from $450 a month to $1200 a month for rent. I surfed the best waves I will ever surf in my life, made great friends, hooked up with exotic women, experienced a new culture, got a masters degree, and met my wife. What is there not to like? It probably set my career back a few years but with all the folks out there having a hard time I wager that I am still better off than most and have a wealth of life experience to boot.

My only recommendations are keep moving forward and don't get trapped. As long as you have a contingency then you are fine. If you want to stay then get training in areas that are in demand in Hawaii. If you see Hawaii as a temporary stop, then take steps to put yourself in a good spot after you leave like school or job experience. As long as you don't have kids, it really isn't that big of a deal to move there. They still speak english (sort of LOL), there is good health coverage, and you are still in a State.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Awesome, my fiance and I have been there 3 time, and have been planning the move for years. I love your story. I have an associates degree in business management technology, and am currently working on my Bachelor's in Information Technology, the lady has about 8 years sales experience, and currently is a personal banker and has a real estate license, although, she would have to take the test for hawaii if she wanted to persue that, which I am not sure if she wants to. We have a dog and are aware of the quarentin and all that. Just nerveous about finding an apartment that will accept the dog although I have spoken to a few people who would.

We have a friend to stay with until we find a place and jobs, and after the flights and light box shipping, we will have enough to live on for about 4-6 months. Even with the degree, if I had to work 2 jobs and her one, I would have no issue. Just to have 1 day a month to enjoy the island.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM

242 posts, read 391,819 times
Quote:
....if I had to work 2 jobs and her one, I would have no issue. Just to have 1 day a month to enjoy the island.
You're nuts. According to your 29 works day + 1 day off each month plan, you're not enjoying anything; you're merely existing.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
You're nuts. According to your 29 works day + 1 day off each month plan, you're not enjoying anything; you're merely existing.
I like the "if I had to work 2 jobs and her 1" - how do people in these faraway places get the impression there are so many jobs available?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:

We have a friend to stay with until we find a place and jobs, and after the flights and light box shipping, we will have enough to live on for about 4-6 months. Even with the degree, if I had to work 2 jobs and her one, I would have no issue. Just to have 1 day a month to enjoy the island.
You guys won't be alone in working multiple jobs to get by, most of the locals do already. It can wear on you after a while but for some it is worth it.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I like the "if I had to work 2 jobs and her 1" - how do people in these faraway places get the impression there are so many jobs available?
I never had a problem finding a minimum wage job in Honolulu. A decent paying job is another story.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I never had a problem finding a minimum wage job in Honolulu. A decent paying job is another story.
I work in lower level IT now, have a business technology associates degree and am currently working on my Bachelors in IT. Before this job, I had been in a management position for 6 years.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I work in lower level IT now, have a business technology associates degree and am currently working on my Bachelors in IT. Before this job, I had been in a management position for 6 years.
I moved with a B.S. in Physics and teaching experience... I still worked **** jobs for almost two years. if you don't have something in writing before you get there, plan on working for peanuts and consider it a blessing if something good comes along. The job market for professionals is not that great, and it is worse if you are not local with connections.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
Come on, I was using a figure of speech, but hey, if I had 1-2 days a month to myself, trust me it would be worth it to me. Where I live now, I do nothing, because there is nothing to do. I sit in the house all day everyday after work. We don't "club" or drink, and there is no swimming areas besides pools so yeah. It would be worth it.

And no jobs? None?? No restaurant jobs, no hotel jobs, so server job...nothing? I look at indeed.com daily and see job postings for Honolulu regularly, not to say I qualify or would get the jobs, but to say there are no jobs? Plus my friend has contacts there that can hopefully help me out in my search for a decent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu