Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,274 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks for anything you can offer on yet another thread!

The idea of moving to Hawaii has been rattling around in my brain for quite awhile and I’m getting more serious about going through with the relocation. I’m currently located in a climate that is very cold for over half the year which conflicts with my absolute love for hot sunny weather (I lived in FL for 6 yrs during my college days and absolutely loved the heat). My job exists everywhere so I have the ability to live anywhere and my income is well enough that I don’t have to worry. I’m not super rich by any means…I would probably put myself in the upper middle class. I’ve been to Hawaii a few times on vacation and each time I fall more in love with the islands. I’ve focused my possible relocation to Oahu because it would be easier for me to obtain a transfer there and I think it would fit my lifestyle the most.

My request is this: I’m looking for some ideas on neighborhoods/areas to look into. I’m a single female in her late 20s and would eventually like to purchase a home in the 400-700K range. Like most people, I prefer a friendly and safe neighborhood. When I finally make the big move, I plan on renting out an apartment for about the first year so I can house hunt, etc, so I’m also asking for opinions on decent areas for apartments. As long as the price isn’t extremely extravagant (say no more than $2000/month for a 1 bedroom) then I’m open to ideas.

Location is somewhat of a factor: I will be working at the Int’l Airport, so I would also like to know the average commute times from each neighborhood to the airport.

Thank you so much for any input you can provide! Even though I don’t have a definite move date yet, I’m trying to do as much research as I can on the internet and learn about the area as much as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Try Aiea or Pearl City - relatively close to the airport and fits your budget.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
From what you mention about your job being everywhere, and you can live anywhere, my guess is that you're a flight attendant or pilot. If I'm correct, take in consideration that you will probably need to be able to get on flights easily since you fly standby. Hawaii travel can be terrible during the summer months and holidays, so you may have to be creative with your flight planning if you're commuting to the mainland for work / to begin trips.

Aiea is a nice city and the commute is approx 20 mins. Mililani is a much nicer area, but the commute would be closer to an hour during heavy traffic. The H1 and H2 can sometimes have some MAJOR delays.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
From what you mention about your job being everywhere, and you can live anywhere, my guess is that you're a flight attendant or pilot. If I'm correct, take in consideration that you will probably need to be able to get on flights easily since you fly standby. Hawaii travel can be terrible during the summer months and holidays, so you may have to be creative with your flight planning if you're commuting to the mainland for work / to begin trips.

Aiea is a nice city and the commute is approx 20 mins. Mililani is a much nicer area, but the commute would be closer to an hour during heavy traffic. The H1 and H2 can sometimes have some MAJOR delays.

First off, thanks for the input so far!
Just to clarify a bit: I'm not a flight attendant or pilot. My job is based on the airport grounds so I don't have to worry about trying to make flights

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: