Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 AM

13 posts, read 21,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Well...you just hang in there. Keep submitting your Resume'...over and over and over...about the third time you have to submit it I would suggest politely asking to speak w/HR or the Manager and deliver it in person, by personally handing it to them. It took 9 months and 7 resumes/applications later before I did this and ended up w/the interview and the job. Find the job you want and go get it. In the meantime...have a little fun, relax and enjoy your Island Home.
Welcome...
Koale
Thank you for the good outlook, i have thought about walking into the companies. I did walk into one of the banks to hand in my resume and meet the HR but the workers all gave me such strange looks lol and HR didn't want to come down so i just had to leave my resume at front desk. But that is only one time and i am def going to go into more banks ..

What kind of job was it that you got? so you had to go in and deliver it in person and got the job?..this gives me hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
"we are just so thankful that we don't have roaches (my husband's biggest fear )." You'd best hope that every cockaroach within a 5 mile radius isn't staring at a computer screen with this website displayed right now.... I know mine are long overdue for a trip to Oahu,, and.......... THEY GOT WINGS!!!!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluny

Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 AM

13 posts, read 21,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
"we are just so thankful that we don't have roaches (my husband's biggest fear )." You'd best hope that every cockaroach within a 5 mile radius isn't staring at a computer screen with this website displayed right now.... I know mine are long overdue for a trip to Oahu,, and.......... THEY GOT WINGS!!!!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluny
Haha i have yet to see the gigantic roaches that everyone speak of. Our first apartment back in the mainland was infested with them and it made our life hell..however, we got to learn all about them and how to fight them..If in case we get them here, we are shipping boric acid from the mainland..

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM

174 posts, read 349,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu waku waku View Post
Just wondering... where will your son attend college? Will he be able to transfer all his credits?
My son was in the criminal justice program at the college he went to, I am not sure he will continue with that career path though. Although he made the Dean's list he was not thrilled to be going to school and pretty much hated it. I would like to see him finish and get a two-year degree in something, but he is 19 and has to make his own decisions. And since his first year of college tuition was paid via a scholarship he was awarded, the second year he would have to find a way to finance it or search for ways to make it happen.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM

174 posts, read 349,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellOutAloha View Post
quote: Since my husband is retired military we are able to shop at the commissary and do, because it is cheaper. unquote

I am happy for you all and wish you the very best. I wondered with a car, if you considered a place larger (cheaper) out on the Leeward side, although a longer drive ? There is bus service from, say, Makaha valley area, and with that comes longer commute/planning times etc., however, a younger fellow may be apt to handle it with certain PT/job schedules perhaps (or not). Out further , still allows access to the various commissary locations at Hickham/Schofield for periodic visits by car. How do you find the pricing, as even with lesser price ranges, everything still is shipped. My opinion has been that as in any location, what people buy has everything to do with individual impact. Do you miss an in unit washer/dryer? Community laundries have innate issues and are not for everyone. Nonetheless, best to you and your positive attitude!
Wanted to get away from the longer commute by moving to the location we did. I really don't mind walking (walked to work today) and my employer pays for my bus pass, so it is a win-win. My husband does like to cycle to work as well (and then I saw the bike lane on Nimitz and told him he was crazy - my dad thinks so too). Where my husband works he can park for free, so there is always the option to drive so he switches on/off from bus/driving/cycling, whatever floats his boat for the day and dependent on the weather or what we might have going on after work.

Our condo has a washer/dryer (not your typical W/D all-in-one stackable combo) and a dishwasher in the kitchen, plus we have covered parking (included) and a lanai - all the things we were looking for (and it is on the 11th floor - did not want a ground floor unit). We also have a full size bath unlike the first place we made an offer on that fell through. At my dad's condo - it is community laundry and have to say, I don't care for it.

Since we rarely used the commissary on the mainland (the produce which is generally what we shopped for, was not very good for some reason), so as far as pricing goes, I can only compare it to where we shop here. I do find the produce here at the commissary way better. Here A big CAN of Jif peanut butter was like $8 at the commissary unlike the $8 I paid for a large jar of it at Walmart. Since I do not eat a lot of meat, PB is more just for protein and my son likes to make triple decker PBJ's.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewcomer85 View Post
Haha i have yet to see the gigantic roaches that everyone speak of. Our first apartment back in the mainland was infested with them and it made our life hell..however, we got to learn all about them and how to fight them..If in case we get them here, we are shipping boric acid from the mainland..
You can also buy boric acid at Long's drugs and Ace Hardware and other places on island as well. It's a pretty common roach remedy.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 AM

173 posts, read 465,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewcomer85 View Post
LoL, funny because I have yet to see any kind of bug - and have been here about a month (rental house in Salt Lake). Prior to that had a condo rental in Waikiki for 2 weeks and never saw a bug there either. Maybe they just come out when I'm asleep

Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 17,239 times
Default Chin up...

I recently came back here and I can tell you this... here in Hawaii, they take their relationships seriously. Their "Ohana" is just that, family. Would you do it differently if it was your family? My suggestion is this, stay open to people and relationships and soon you will also have the priviledge of your own ohana and they will treat you the same. The more you invest in your relationships here, the more you will reap the rewards of family. Keep your chin up and keep smiling, it is a beautiful day!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 AM

29 posts, read 62,084 times
I have had real good luck with Staffing Solutions of Hawaii and Bishop and Company. Most of my positions turned into permanent positions. To me, a drawback of being a temp is no insurance. Of course they say they offer insurance, but you have to work a certain number of hours per week for 4 consecutive. Then if you are sick a day or there is a holiday (which you do not get paid for) you have to start over on the 4 week countdown and wait a month, then the period til they actually get you ON the insurance.

But if you want to be active and get your foot in the door, I am in favor of the temp agencies as well.

Good Luck!
Deanna

Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM

431 posts, read 940,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2snow View Post
LoL, funny because I have yet to see any kind of bug - and have been here about a month (rental house in Salt Lake). Prior to that had a condo rental in Waikiki for 2 weeks and never saw a bug there either. Maybe they just come out when I'm asleep
If you haven't seen a bug in six weeks I would bet that the properties you've lived in have been heavily sprayed with pesticides.
Try this---pull the stove or fridge away from the wall and take a look...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu