Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

Ideally I would like to find a small house to rent for $1,500 and still be within 30 minutes driving distance of University of Hawaii law school. Is this a realistic budget? How bad is traffic? There will be two adults living in the home. We also have one cat, do you think that will be a problem for most landlords? I have heard Hawaii rentals are not pet friendly. Law students spend the entire day (about 9-5) at the University, so how will traffic be at that time in that area? What are the practical realities of the commute from various places? I would like to live in as rural a place as possible. Is it possible to still be close to the beach? What areas should I avoid? Do you think it would be best to live in an apartment? I would prefer to live in a house. We have two cars but the other adult does not drive very much. Is it going to be hard to find parking for our second vehicle? Do you typically have to pay extra for parking if you live in an apartment? What areas are good surfing around UHawaii? Can I live somewhere close to a good surfing beach and still be within 30 minutes actual drive time (during rush hour) to UH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
If possible, let your cat spend its "quarantine" time with a friend on the mainland and ship it out when the time is up. Cats don't do well in the facility here. House? no. Apt, maybe. Traffic isn't as bad as LA (nothing is) but don't get in a hurry or you'll end up frustrated. Every beach is a good beach here! (you really shotgunned the questions...)

Old 06-15-2013, 02:49 PM

83 posts, read 120,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueq8Leje8Wa5 View Post
Ideally I would like to find a small house to rent for $1,500 and still be within 30 minutes driving distance of University of Hawaii law school. Is this a realistic budget? How bad is traffic? There will be two adults living in the home. We also have one cat, do you think that will be a problem for most landlords? I have heard Hawaii rentals are not pet friendly. Law students spend the entire day (about 9-5) at the University, so how will traffic be at that time in that area? What are the practical realities of the commute from various places? I would like to live in as rural a place as possible. Is it possible to still be close to the beach? What areas should I avoid? Do you think it would be best to live in an apartment? I would prefer to live in a house. We have two cars but the other adult does not drive very much. Is it going to be hard to find parking for our second vehicle? Do you typically have to pay extra for parking if you live in an apartment? What areas are good surfing around UHawaii? Can I live somewhere close to a good surfing beach and still be within 30 minutes actual drive time (during rush hour) to UH?
Welcome there... Ueq8... you sure have a long name but hope you don't mind that I call ya Ueq8. Hm.. okay so, a small house.. for $1500. I really don't want to rain on your parade, but please don't be surprised if you find a studio or a 1 br for that price. You could find an addition to a landlord's home with a private entry and bath for that price.. but it will be hard to find a home for that price. Parking is an issue as well but you just need to be lucky. Check Craigslist.. I've found all of my jobs and rentals there, it's very reliable.. beware of scams (cheap rentals for prime locations) though if it sounds too good to be true, it more than likely is!

Congrats on goin to UH's Law school btw! I'm an alum of UH-Manoa (c/o 2009 represent!) and I used to dorm there as well, so I would pass by the Richardson law school everyday. Anyway. You would probably want to do a Craigslist search on :

Manoa first being that you're in Manoa.. it's a very quiet, older community filled with mainly older asian people, but as more and more transplants move to Hawaii, it's becoming a lot more diverse. I don't know if you want a lively place or not but this is one of those places where it is a sanctuary, zen-like place. There are no parties or many restaurants here as in Kapahulu or Kaimuki (mentioned below). Places are a litte more on a pricier side, but I'd recommend doin a CL search to see what you'll come up with. I love Manoa and went to HS and uni there and it is VERY peaceful and quiet. You could take a bike as most of us did in uni, or a moped (I don't use them cause theyre dangerous IMO but it's common). You have Manoa Marketplace that has a 24-hour Safeway (grocery store), ramen place, mexican restaurant, First Hawaiian Bank (they're a good bank), Longs, a Japanese restaaunt.. several other food places.. it has changed a lot since I've last been there..Although Manoa is very quiet and nice, it is far away from other things like.. surfing lol which is what you're into.. I have a feeling you might like Kaimuki or Kapahulu more

Kaimuki is great as well, quiet in most parts.. more things to do than Manoa for sure, you may be the luckiest with this city to find a home to rent.some very affordable homes to rent but again, you jut have to do a CL search. This place is central and is close to everything. It's close to Whole Foods and Kahala Mall (the uppity-snobbish mall but doesn't really have many great things to offer, except Whole Foods..yumm lol)..and there's lots of close eateries in the Kaimuki area ..near Kapahulu which is close to Waikiki. Parking should be provided.. but it really depends on the landlord.

Kapahulu - Depends where you go ..way busier than Kaimuki since it's closer to Waikiki.. but way more stuff to do. Popular places in Kapahulu.. Uncle Bo's, McCully Shopping Ctr, Chinese places, great, central location), Close to the BEST and newest Safeway on the island.. Kapahulu Safeway!! Biggest grocery place on the island.. prices are still going to be expensive compared to the mainland but the best. Do not shop at Foodland or Times as those are the local grocery shops are are a lot more expensive than Safeway. Kapahulu is a lil more ... party vibe because it's closer to Waikiki.. but it's not too far from Manoa.. maybe like a 30 min bike ride but overall a great location.

Yup, you're right about Hawaii's rentals not being pet-friendly. We have a service animal and even then some people were like eh (realty companies were okay). I believe there is a pet-friendly website that you can do a search on. CL also (yes, apparently I'm a big non-paid supporter of CL lol) has a pets checkbox to see which rentals allow pets.

Traffic.. if you're living in Hawaii, you will feel the traffic wherever you are, any time of the day, honey! One of the reasons why I'm hoppin and a-skippin outa town.. (amongst other things). But anyway. If you're living in Kaimukior Kapahulu and you are mainly just goin to and from school, hanging out in those areas, it shouldn't be too bad. I must warn you that (and I don't know where you are from) but.. people drive slow as a motha here, AND, do NOT ever use your horn. I am a local asian girl (but not, cause I don't speak pidgin.. pidgin is another ugh, thing), and I use my horn and people get SOOOO offended. Some will come out of their car and threaten you lol. I had a guy throw a coffee on my car for me using my horn cause he cut me off. I then proceeded to hold onto it for ..oh, I don't know 10 seconds and slowly lifted my middle finger to his direction. Please do not do that. My brazilian jiu jitsu fightin bf told me not to do that cause although he could kick their ass, he doesn't like to embarass people in front of their passengers/make me squeamish. Also, please don't do that if you are or look white because people here are so racist against "haoles" and I can't stand that one bit. Just try to learn the local culture as much as possible, be open to trying the local food and ..try to befriend local people as well cause they appreciate when you seem interested in their culture. I on the other hand, didn't, and I was an outsider. Who woulda "thunk" lol, I was produced and grown here, and even I feel like an outsider lol. Oh well

It may be difficult to find an additional parking stall for a 2nd vehicle as most places only offer one stall. Again, CL search.

Surfing... I need to recuse myself from this topic cause I don't know jack about surfing although I have a family member that is a pro surfer. I'm a girly girl non-surfer/anti-sun type so you will need to ask someone more surferish this Q. I'm sorry that I don't even feel qualified to tell you a beach as I don't want you to get smashed out there) but heey, sounds like the surf will be up huh?

I would definitely stay away from Waianae... Wahiawa.. (both are not safe and ghetto), Waipahu (ghetto.. except Waikele.. but these places are very far as well.. Waikele has some BEAUTIFUL town homes. Unfortunately, Waikele is considered Waipahu which is an insult to Waikele but whatever).. these places are VERY far from Manoa.. like 45 min-1 hour by car maybe even a lil longer consdiring Manoa pretty far up there.now,by bus.. omg forget it you'll take like 2 hours or somethin. lol. Mililani is very nice which is where I used to live, but from where I worked in town to Mililani.. it takes me about an hour a day driving home in slow -0 mph traffic. And normally without traffic, the drive SHOULD take me about 15 mins.. Some parts clear up which is great, but for the most part, traf sucks darlin. You'll see!

Good luck, and let me know what ya find on CL LOL.

Last edited by zumbacutie1; 06-15-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Ideally I would like to find a small house to rent for $1,500 and still be within 30 minutes driving distance of University of Hawaii law school. Is this a realistic budget?
That is not a realistic budget for a single family home that allows pets on Oahu. Most houses are 3+ bedrooms - and unless you want something rough around the edges - a more realistic budget for a house is $3,000+

For $1,500 - you are generally looking at a smallish (1,000 sq ft or less) rental and likely with 1 parking spot (or no parking) in the 30 minute commute area to Manoa.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM

106 posts, read 230,218 times
look at the area around bordered by Lusitana & Nuuanu Ave and Liliha north of School St. Lots of houses and duplexes which may have something for you. I know of several co workers and ex co workers who live/have lived in that area. Its rather family oriented, close to downtown, but not 'trendy' like Waikiki so the average poster may not know to recommend it.

I don't think your $1500 is that unrealistic. I'm sure there are possibilities. Do some searching on your own. Drive by the areas.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Ideally I would like to find a small house to rent for $1,500 and still be within 30 minutes driving distance of University of Hawaii law school. Is this a realistic budget? ?
If you can find that, you are a very lucky person. You are in competition with the UH students who are already HERE and that want to live off campus. If you increase the $$ you are willing to pay, you can increase your chances of finding the 2 Bed house you desire.

Quote:
We also have one cat, do you think that will be a problem for most landlords? I have heard Hawaii rentals are not pet friendly.
Having a pet will definitely affect the number of potential places that will consider you as a tenant. Often even "pet loving" landlords will not allow pets in their rental units, due to there being so many irresponsible pet owners who have ruined it for everyone else.

Quote:
Do you think it would be best to live in an apartment? I would prefer to live in a house.
There is no "best" that we can answer for YOU as far as apartment vs house. Finding a place that is close to campus, limited rent $$, allows pets, and has parking ... that will be a challenge enough for you. I'm guessing that you will take whichever you can find, be it house or apartment, and be thrilled if you can find something that fits your description.

Congrats on being accepted to The William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
look at the area around bordered by Lusitana & Nuuanu Ave and Liliha north of School St. Lots of houses and duplexes which may have something for you. I know of several co workers and ex co workers who live/have lived in that area. Its rather family oriented, close to downtown, but not 'trendy' like Waikiki so the average poster may not know to recommend it.

I don't think your $1500 is that unrealistic. I'm sure there are possibilities. Do some searching on your own. Drive by the areas.
Hm... I'd say that some parts of Nuuanu Ave like deep in Nuuanu where they have the Japanese temples are the only nice part of Nuuanu.... School St and Liliha is ghetto and there are a lot of homeless ppl. I know this bc I work for an org in the Liliha area..his neighbors will be uneducated, welfare types who scam the system by not working a day in their life but who have more kids than than you and your 3 best friends combined.. His neighbors will be micronesian or the tongan folks who live in the mayor rights hosuing projects (mayor rights is the place in kalihi where there are notorious stabbings and other drug/crime-related stuff. I am sure you can find housing in the area for $800-1000 even but be mundful who your neighbors are (hellooo section 8!)

Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbacutie1 View Post
His neighbors will be micronesian or the tongan folks
Huh?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Huh?
Heh.. read the part before that darlin, see my original post below..

" School St and Liliha is ghetto and there are a lot of homeless ppl. I know this bc I work for an org in the Liliha area..his neighbors will be uneducated, welfare types who scam the system by not working a day in their life but who have more kids than than you and your 3 best friends combined.. His neighbors will be micronesian or the tongan folks who live in the mayor rights hosuing projects (mayor rights is the place in kalihi where there are notorious stabbings and other drug/crime-related stuff. "

I said that specifically with regards to the Kalihi/School Street/Liliha area.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 AM

106 posts, read 230,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbacutie1 View Post
Hm... I'd say that some parts of Nuuanu Ave like deep in Nuuanu where they have the Japanese temples are the only nice part of Nuuanu.... School St and Liliha is ghetto and there are a lot of homeless ppl. I know this bc I work for an org in the Liliha area..his neighbors will be uneducated, welfare types who scam the system by not working a day in their life but who have more kids than than you and your 3 best friends combined.. His neighbors will be micronesian or the tongan folks who live in the mayor rights hosuing projects (mayor rights is the place in kalihi where there are notorious stabbings and other drug/crime-related stuff. I am sure you can find housing in the area for $800-1000 even but be mundful who your neighbors are (hellooo section 8!)
OMG lol. I think we now know you are one take comments with a grain of sand. But I think you are quite wrong. Mayor Wright Housing is bordered between No. King, Liliha and N, Viineyard to the north. North of Mayor Wright/Vineyard st. is the shopping center with Times Market, then you have the H1 freeway dividing the entire area, then another shopping center at School with Foodland and McDs, then the Kuakini Hospital. That area is a very good older area , all around the hospital, the Lanakila Rehab center, Kuakini St. all the way up to N. Judd St, Wylie St. over the Pali Hwy to the neighborhood which is Pauoha valley. Very good areas. I know several professional locals who live in that area. I'ts not the Waikiki crowd and not the welfare recipients you mention, although there is never a guarantee you wont have section housing and welfare recipients anywhere, even in Waikiki.

Not even closely affected by Mayor Wright Housing. I do volunteer at the Kukui Center at Aala Park, so I am familiar with the MWH area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu