Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 PM

152 posts, read 372,108 times

Advertisements

When the children progress to college and/or marriages, transit for everyone .. to/from you and wife, in Hawaii/home there, and you/wife to /from mainland at older ages, are various concerns I would ponder carefully. Home payoff approaches you, certain aging or unknown health issues always come, any location. Consider 15 years away, potential issues for all of us, such as long term care needs, which can always come to anyone at any age (stroke/heart), with ensuing economic ripples. Federal LTC policy benefits for those that have them are not premium cheap (I know) and can help a lot, but, who knows the scenario? A stable house and area familiarity are beneficial, however, all of us have specific family dynamics. I always plan for the worst and smile at the lesser effects, if they occur. Family member personalities are always varied too. The promotion move opportunity came, and another may later at a super location as well, never know. Take a vote and family lives with the collective members' input. Fair and open. Best success either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 AM

44 posts, read 64,384 times
Thank you everyone for your input.

I've decided to stay put and keep looking for a job opportunity closer.

I've just interviewed for a VA facility position within 4 hrs away so I'm going to cross my fingers and throw some salt over my shoulder.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
LOL - we're probably competing for the same jobs!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
LOL - we're probably competing for the same jobs!
Well in that case I need 2 horseshoes and a rabbits foot.

BTW, why do you want to leave Oahu less than a year on the island? I saw this post of yours and am just wondering:

Quote:
I'd like to add this, after reading through some other threads:
I'm thrilled at the new job offering. It's like my dream job and it would be even if it were in ... say... Iowa. The fact that they'll pay me to live in Hawaii is even better! I don't expect to spend the rest of my life there but I'll enjoy the time I've got! As Bon Jovi sings: I just wanna live while I'm alive... it's my life... now or never.... *hits the time clock humming to self*
oops...wrong thread... sorry about the Iowa remark.. there's worse places.

Last edited by armyengineer; 08-16-2013 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 PM

Moving To Hawaii » Before You Move To Hawaii, Answer These Questions

Interesting link with various perspectives; how & why some move.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
Moving To Hawaii » Before You Move To Hawaii, Answer These Questions

Interesting link with various perspectives; how & why some move.
That is interesting and seems pretty helpful. I'm in the opposite situation. I'm in Hawaii were most of my family is and want to move to the mainland. However I'm almost giving up on that seeing as it's almost impossible to secure a job anywhere without actually having an in-person interview and I can't afford the $500 round trip tickets to the west coast for every interview. I also don't want to move anywhere without a job lined up unless I have family I can live with in the interim. Looks like I'm stuck in Hawaii for the foreseeable future

I really wish I was rich, financial freedom would take away so much stress in my life. Then again, I also realize happiness in life is more about being happy with what you have than about having what you want.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
That is interesting and seems pretty helpful. I'm in the opposite situation. I'm in Hawaii were most of my family is and want to move to the mainland. However I'm almost giving up on that seeing as it's almost impossible to secure a job anywhere without actually having an in-person interview and I can't afford the $500 round trip tickets to the west coast for every interview. I also don't want to move anywhere without a job lined up unless I have family I can live with in the interim. Looks like I'm stuck in Hawaii for the foreseeable future

I really wish I was rich, financial freedom would take away so much stress in my life. Then again, I also realize happiness in life is more about being happy with what you have than about having what you want.

Alternate option may be to request potential employers to consider using Skype as an interview
method , at least "initially". That seems in our 21st century technology, a viable approach. It has benefits for all participants and saves time and money. If their answer is no, reflect if you really want to work for a company that is not flexible enough to be efficient and realistic. Primarily, as a "no" answer limits them from access to a larger pool of talent.
Most stress comes reactions from those with whom we encounter, not resources. Daily routines become sources of stress, when many folks make obstacles when there are none. Often, obstacles are lack of knowledge by others, and frail implementation, of what they DO know, and , worse, avoiding resolutions by deflections;
"press 1 " to reach someone with a brain cell; "press 2" to order a book because we REALLY do not want to deal with your question, etc etc. "press 3" to order a pizza while you wait, because we cannot hire enough staff beyond 2 people as we are badly managed.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM

I'm escaping personal stuff. Running away as it were. Just casting the line out and seeing about nibbles. It's such a slow process anyway (federal hiring). AND a family counselor is now involved because I really don't want to run away. Teenage girl. Not mine. nuff said?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Well when your teenager becomes 18 then all your problems are solved since she will be legally an adult.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM

It's funny - when I say I'm leaving I hear "she will be 18 in April" and when I say "good, join me in April" I hear "but I can't just make her leave when she's 18". I'm not a math wizard (I take my shoes off to count over 10) but that just doesn't add up.
<--- still smiling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: