Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 PM

15 posts, read 23,806 times

Advertisements

I know housing and utilities are going to be high. But what about everyday things? Is anyone willing to give me a rough idea of how my daily food and sundry prices will change?

A typical day now:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal $3.98 for 42 oz. (lasts about 2 weeks)
Or box of Quaker Oatmeal Squares about $4 when not on sale (last about a week)
Berries 2 packs of blueberries or raspberries for $6.00 (last about 4 days)
Milk about 3.99 a gallon (lasts until it spoils)

I can use water to make oatmeal if milk is crazy expensive and I have no idea if berries are available? I am open to suggestions on another less expensive fruit.

Lunch:

Sushi out most days with a diet soda. Around $15, that includes two medium sized rolls.

Or a turkey and Swiss sandwich if I am at home:
Loaf of organic whole grain bread $4
Deli Turkey $8 a pound (about 4 sandwiches)
Alpine Lace Swiss $4 (about 6 slices)
Tomato - .99c a pound
Lettuce – 69c a head

Diet Coke. $1.19 for a 2 liter
Fruit- usually a Fuji apple $1.99 a pound

Snack
Apple $1.99 a pound
Peanut butter $4.99 for small jar Jiffy (lasts several weeks)

Dinner:

Take out or chicken breast with zucchini or broccoli

Take out of ravioli or Chinese $7 – 8 dollars, soda at home

Chicken Breast $2.99 a pound
Zucchini .79c a pound
Broccoli $1.99 a pound

Other daily use items:

Shampoo $1.00 Suave
Conditioner $1.50
Sunscreen $5.99 8 oz tube? Banana Boat
Toilet paper $1 a roll (Scott)
Deodorant $2.99 (small Secret roll on)
Dish soap .99c (Sun)
Laundry Detergent $6.99 (Sun or Arm and Hammer)
Gasoline: $3.90 a gallon

You don’t need to compare the whole list! Just trying to get an idea of how my everyday expenses will change.

I am also open to ideas on how to eat healthier or cheaper. I am alone and will be working long hours so cooking at home isn’t always cheaper where I live now thus all the take out! (so please don’t judge me) LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM

431 posts, read 940,324 times
Here are the weekly local ads from Long's (CVS), Safeway, and Foodland to help you with your research.

Longs Drugs Weekly Saving Guide - Oahu

Safeway

Weekly Ad | Foodland

Shopping at Walmart, Costco, or Sam's Club will save you even more, in most cases. The Big Box stores will generally sell stuff in multi-paks so that might not work out that well for you as a single person but Walmart, IME, has the cheapest single-unit everyday non-sale prices on just about everything.
To take advantage of the sales at Safeway and Foodland you'll need their free membership cards. Costco and Sam's Club require paid membership, of course.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Here are the weekly local ads from Long's (CVS), Safeway, and Foodland to help you with your research.

Longs Drugs Weekly Saving Guide - Oahu

Safeway

Weekly Ad | Foodland

Shopping at Walmart, Costco, or Sam's Club will save you even more, in most cases. The Big Box stores will generally sell stuff in multi-paks so that might not work out that well for you as a single person but Walmart, IME, has the cheapest single-unit everyday non-sale prices on just about everything.
To take advantage of the sales at Safeway and Foodland you'll need their free membership cards. Costco and Sam's Club require paid membership, of course.

Perfect! Thanks so much for this. Other than dairy, prices look close to the same.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Are you comparing sale prices in Hawaii to your local, regular pricing?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Rubbah slippah $2.99????

muss be retread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Are you comparing sale prices in Hawaii to your local, regular pricing?

Yes, just to get a rough idea of prices. Sales are what I usually shop here, so I can be a little flexible. The prices I quoted for my current prices were mostly sales, so it is a reasonable comparison for my purposes.

The way everyone talks about prices, I was afraid a loaf of bread was going to be $10!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM

106 posts, read 230,292 times
16 oz cottage cheese low fat small curd (my usual):

$2.25 at walmart on keeaumoku st (kraft)
$3.50 at foodland ala moana shopping center on sale usually (meadowgold)
$4.75 at Longs Drugs downtown hotel st, (meadowgold)

I buy this almsot every day,

you learn to price shop and compare, sometimes the aisles get bare if there is a sale.

sorry cannot type today lol

sometimes longs is cheaper than foodland and vice versa. Most likely Walmart is cheaper, but it's less convenient and horribly crowded 24/7. I go to safeway on Beretania also at times.

you can go to chinatown and get a tub of strawberries for $1.00, Same tub at the grocery may be $4.99 or a little lower. Chinatown one ususally has to be eaten the same or next day, probably why it's cheap.

pound of shiitakes at foodland is $12.00 but in chinatown they are $6.00/pound

so many variations here and some stores have sales. I tend to buy what I want if it's on a sale price, Love the polska kielbasa but at $6.,50 a pack do not , but they go on sale often for $3.50 pack

Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
16 oz cottage cheese low fat small curd (my usual):

$2.25 at walmart on keeaumoku st (kraft)
$3.50 at foodland ala moana shopping center on sale usually (meadowgold)
$4.75 at Longs Drugs downtown hotel st, (meadowgold)

I buy this almsot every day,

you learn to price shop and compare, sometimes the aisles get bare if there is a sale.

sorry cannot type today lol

Wow that is a big difference depending on the store. Maybe I should start a price book once I get there?

Thanks for the info, it really helps. I was afraid I was going to be living on rice a fruit.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorElaMac View Post

The way everyone talks about prices, I was afraid a loaf of bread was going to be $10!
Nope, it's the MILK that's ten bucks..

(of course, you have to be grocery shopping at the Kahala Mall, Shoppes at Wailea, or Kapalua Bay Resort to find it)

uuuurrrrpppp,,, scuze me

Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
You're the "move in 3 weeks" guy, right? Sounds like a wild ride!

Since this subject has frequently been discussed on these forums, you can grab a lot of quick information about your question by using the Advanced Search feature to pull up previous threads on the topic.

A couple of things occur to me about your shopping list...

If you are coming from a major city you may not see a lot of difference at first, but a quarter more here, a dollar more there, and it adds up over time. And then every once in a while you'll run into something that just takes your breath away. Like $10 milk.

Manapua12's observation is spot on... prices on the same item can vary a lot from one place to another, from one day to another. So getting the best prices on things requires active shopping, rather than just jumping in the same place all the time to get the same things. If you have a smartphone, look for a shopping comparison app to help you keep straight about what the good prices are.

Also, nearly everything on your list has to be shipped in from the mainland. Once you're settled, you might start looking around for local equivalents or substitutes and less expensive alternatives. For instance, half a solo-size papaya usually costs less than a half-dozen apples. Plate-lunch almost anywhere is maybe half the price of a couple of sushi rolls.

In general, it appears you can save the most money by preparing more food at home. A $15 lunch plus an $8 dinner is $23, which seems to be higher than the rest of your daily shopping budget. So cutting back there, even if it is just a meal or two a week, will help make up for the higher prices on your peanut butter and bread.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu