Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

Lets look at Niu Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsBQaz0OrU

If anyone has any positive or negative observations of any of the communities im posting feel free to share. Especially if you live in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Kaka'ako

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVne6p79Mh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6lv_KFxSLk

Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM

A look at Hawaii Kai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhxkwgaoXU

Old 03-25-2015, 05:50 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Like the video HBH. It's a good illustration, in my opinion, why Hawaii politicians need to seriously consider slowing or stopping the sprawl on Oahu.

IF I had choose, I'd prefer to see the condos and increased density in the inner core in order to prevent the sprawl from growing further.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Like the video HBH. It's a good illustration, in my opinion, why Hawaii politicians need to seriously consider slowing or stopping the sprawl on Oahu.

IF I had choose, I'd prefer to see the condos and increased density in the inner core in order to prevent the sprawl from growing further.
I believe The Eagles had it right when they sang "becareful what you call paradise because you can kiss it goodbye." In there last resort song.

Personally i would rather see tons of smaller skyscrapers then skyscrapers taller then diamond head. The problem is once you agree to compromise an inch then the next time developers expect 2 inches and next thing you know what you strongly believe in is gone years later.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
I believe The Eagles had it right when they sang "becareful what you call paradise because you can kiss it goodbye." In there last resort song.

Personally i would rather see tons of smaller skyscrapers then skyscrapers taller then diamond head. The problem is once you agree to compromise an inch then the next time developers expect 2 inches and next thing you know what you strongly believe in is gone years later.

The majority of population is getting what it wants, or.... what it cares about, otherwise we would have better voter turnout.

What I don't get, is why you have such strong opinions about someone else's state. In general, states get what their populations want... the majority of them... thus the whole democracy thing.

I have never once commented on someone else's state or city, and told them how I thought it should be run. I honestly have no opinions on it. That includes where I was born, and where I was raised through my teen years. And I visit every year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The majority of population is getting what it wants, or.... what it cares about, otherwise we would have better voter turnout.

What I don't get, is why you have such strong opinions about someone else's state. In general, states get what their populations want... the majority of them... thus the whole democracy thing.

I have never once commented on someone else's state or city, and told them how I thought it should be run. I honestly have no opinions on it. That includes where I was born, and where I was raised through my teen years. And I visit every year.

Hmmm interesting perception. Well Hawaii has always been my home, it doesn't matter where I live. I've always loved it's culture and still have dreams about her and I'm involved on a local area level in Honolulu with preservation projects and non profits and culture. Another words I'm still kamaaina by heart.

Well I have to disagree with you. The lack of voter turnout in history from what I've learned and rememberr has always been about lack of faith in the system that appears to do what big money or special interests wants vs what communities really want. Because if it did what communities wantted then growth would be limmitted and you would see a lot of nimbly regarding things.

The question I have is why should it matter to you my location or race or political beliefs? What should matter only is the righteousness or truth of what I'm saying. I mean you have people currently living in Hawaii who don't know the difference between a transplant, resident or local and other things posting on here

I'm nobody and obviously not an expert at Hawaii but I'm curious why is it 30+ years removed from the islands i am the only one except a few handful of locals that havent been driven away are talking about culture or local issues?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-25-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
What should matter only is the righteousness or truth of what I'm saying.
That's my point. You view it as an almost religious calling. Being idealistic doesn't automatically make you right. Your views are almost old testament, meaning it doesn't have much basis in reality. You seem to want to shape Hawaii into some archaic fantasy you have of your childhood. More emotion than memory.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others may disagree.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's my point. You view it as an almost religious calling. Being idealistic doesn't automatically make you right. Your views are almost old testament, meaning it doesn't have much basis in reality. You seem to want to shape Hawaii into some archaic fantasy you have of your childhood. More emotion than memory.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others may disagree.
Oh wow hold on. What views are idealistic or not reality? Let's start there. And what is fantasy? You said something awhile back that was epic you said this wasn't lilo and stitch. But it's not Hawaii life or lifestyles of the rich and famous either or wall street reports.

Whats funny is what is reality? Living on Hawaii you should know that mainland ways of looking at things is just one of many ways to look at reality. You have a whole island that lives the old way, you have people in Hawaii that practice and believe things that go back generations.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-25-2015 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Oh wow hold on. What views are idealistic or not reality? Let's start there. And what is fantasy? You said something awhile back that was epic you said this wasn't lilo and stitch. But it's not Hawaii life or lifestyles of the rich and famous either or wall street reports
Exactly. The reality is in between, not the extremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu