Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 AM

13 posts, read 22,489 times

Advertisements

I would like the cut the cable cord but I would like to be able to get the network channels with an antenna. My husband says that it is not possible get the network channels in Kailua. Anyone in Kailua who has cut the cable cord? If so, please give me some information on this. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
We cut the cord and it feels great! We can easily afford cable/satellite, but we choose not to spend out money on cable/satellite. We watch locals on an over the air rooftop antenna. We stream Netflix, and Youtube videos. A Roku 3 does a great job streaming Netflix. A Chromecast is also another option to stream Netflix and Youtube videos using a tablet for a remote control.

Here's a link you could check to determine what over the air TV you might be able to receive:
AntennaWeb - Address

However, your local terrain may change your results dramatically. If you can't pickup the locals you want, then maybe you could reduce your cable service to 'locals only' channels to save money.

If you watch a lot of sports on TV, you may be stuck paying forever for cable or satellite.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM

Thanks, davephan. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Roku 3 with Hulu Plus and living without the OTA channels. The only thing we watch on the network channels is the local news anyway. We don't watch a lot of sports too, so this might work for us.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-sky View Post
The only thing we watch on the network channels is the local news anyway. We don't watch a lot of sports too, so this might work for us.
If all you do is watch local news, KHNL streams local news live over the internet.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If all you do is watch local news, KHNL streams local news live over the internet.
Was just thinking the same thing!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 AM

We're saving $60 a month by cutting something we rarely used. That's $720 a year saved. Periodically, over the years, they jack up their rate. That annoyance is gone too! If you're paying more, you could be saving over a thousand dollars a year!

Cable and satellite TV has been a lousy product for decades, forcing you to pay for channel packages. About 90% or more of the channels in the packages are never watched. They are just 'junk' channels to fill up the channel line up. If you want a specific channel, you have to upgrade to a higher package any pay for even more 'junk' channels. If you watch a movie on cable or satellite, you typically start in the middle of the movie, unless you can synchronize your personal schedule to the time table or record the movie in advance. With streaming, all movies start from the beginning all the time, every time. Plus, there is always a good movie on streaming. You could have 20 or 30 pay movie channels, and none of them have a movie on that you want to watch. Cable and satellite TV are both a dying breed. In the future, most of subscribers will be elderly, live in bad reception areas, or addicted to sports.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 PM

My thoughts exactly, davephan. I hate having to pay for so many junk channels that we never watch. Direct TV, Dish Network are all the same. You would think that in this day and age, these companies would allow consumers to select the channels they want. its such a scam!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 PM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
We cut the cable a month ago. I was hopping to watch less tv but we actually watch more now. I was tired of searching through countless chanels to find something worth watching...most times would end up on local news as there was nothing else. We got internet, about 20 OTA stations, roku3, netflix and streaming of sports and various chanels over the web....megabite me cable!
BTW, this was not a financial decision for us, we can easly aford to pay the service but why do so when they do not provide anything worth watching?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
We cut the cable a month ago. I was hopping to watch less tv but we actually watch more now. I was tired of searching through countless chanels to find something worth watching...most times would end up on local news as there was nothing else. We got internet, about 20 OTA stations, roku3, netflix and streaming of sports and various chanels over the web....megabite me cable!
BTW, this was not a financial decision for us, we can easly aford to pay the service but why do so when they do not provide anything worth watching?
Same for us. We can easily afford to subscribe to satellite or cable TV, but we choose not to subscribe. It's just more money we can save for retirement.

I also have a video server I built that records up to 5 channels at once. It used to record up to 7 channels at once, but I did't need that much capacity. When we watch TV, we usually don't watch it live and we skip the commercials. We've been watching very few commercials for the past ten years.

In addition, I have two programs which allow me to record more programs from the Internet called PlayOn, and PlayLater. They have a sale at PlayLater now where they throw in a Chromecast for free.

Once you start recording a lot of TV, the quality of TV improves. All your TV becomes 'On Demand' and starts at the beginning. You can watch several news programs, you don't have to choose one program if they air at the same time. Every hour of TV has 20 minutes of commercials. Why put up watching commercials? For us, those TV commercials are gone from our lives for a decade. If you search around the web, you'll find a lot of people are 'cutting the cord', especially the younger demographics. The cable companies are starting to feel the pain.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Good point about the commercials, i almost forgot. I remember watching movies and on some chanels they stop every 15 min for commercials which would run for about 8 minutes. Can someone explain why we put up with this? Are we paying for commercials or for the movies?
I just came back from Europe visiting my parents and noticed something interesting. I know the internet speed there is way faster than it is here but had no idea it was this bad. Their basic was at 20mbs ours through TWC is at 1mbs....20 TIME LESS!!! Patethic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu