Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:25 AM

11 posts, read 9,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
So are you advocating the IMP should have been kept in it's original state? With all those tacky souvenirs and little snack places? It just looked so dirty and worn down the last time I went there. Change is pretty much inevitable. Also there are still a lot of historical sites for tourists to see around the island. I just didn't get the appeal of the old IMP.
No what I suggest was upgrade it or remodel it. You see the appeal of the old international market place like most local places was never it's trinkits or what it sold. Most of the appeal was in the experiences and it's spirit. If the developers wantted to keep Waikiki Hawaii they would of just upgraded it. Instead they got rid of it by changing it to another high end mall.

Unfortunately what is sad is the change appears to just be an extention of the era wing of ala mo or The Royal Hawaiian mall. Wait til they remodel ward center and you will see how everything is now the same. It's unfortunate wanabe historical places in Hawaii are going extinct fast especially on Oahu your just not told about it and it's not news Me and my friends are always telling people to visit Hawaii soon before it all changes and is gone.

Look don't trust my opinion ok. Just goto yelp and read the reviews. Really pay attention to the middle age and older locals opinions.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:28 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Kama'aina View Post
No what I suggest was upgrade it or remodel it.
Uh. It was upgraded and remodeled

Old 09-03-2016, 01:32 AM

589 posts, read 390,782 times
AlaMoana needs ZippyS!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You forgot s link or source as usual.

International Marketplace is locally owned by the way.
You always confuse local for a persons geographic location and not a way of life or a subculture. Unfortunately you could be a good example of how a person can live on Hawaii for longer then a decade and not be local haole.

Ps: I've read your many posts arguing with that HBH guy and others.

Last edited by Lost Kama'aina; 09-03-2016 at 01:57 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 01:41 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Could have moved their car half way thru and paid $8 ! But the Zoo to IMP is too far? My building is down on the Gold Coast and plenty of old rich tourists and locals walk into Waikiki. About 15 minutes to Kapahulu (along the ocean) and another 10 to IMP. Damn lazy kids.

Tourists may not mind walking a good distance because they can sightsee. They're tourists.

If you're a local going into Waikiki specifically to visit the IMP, you are almost guaranteed to want to park as close as possible.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
AlaMoana needs ZippyS!
Yeah the old Zippys that believed in quality grindz. How about Ed & Dons, Lyn’s Delicatessen or Patti’s Chinese Kitchen? Oh my mouth is watering now. Or is that to far back for you?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:40 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Tourists may not mind walking a good distance because they can sightsee. They're tourists.

If you're a local going into Waikiki specifically to visit the IMP, you are almost guaranteed to want to park as close as possible.
If you are defining local as someone fat and lazy with the diabetes tingling in their legs from too much starchy foods then yes, you are correct. Sightsee? Maybe if some of those locals LOOKED around at what is there and appreciate it and try to care for it instead of pulling the fatass SUV up to park at the door so they can complain about the parking rates and the loss of the stores that they never supported anyway then they might be happier.

I started a thread awhile back asking what stores the "locals" wanted in the new IMP that could be supported by the tourists and them. I don't believe anyone could come up with one. If you don't care for something while it's here then it is futile to complain when it is gone. If the IMP was still magical and supported by the local community it would still be there.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:51 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My head is going to explode if the International Market Place is referred to as some obscure part of Polynesian culture.

Heiaus, The Hokuleia, taro, outrigger canoes........................ and a small derelict area with palm fronds that sells cheap trinkets and serves as a great place to get your wallet busted........................

I'm not sure why it is not included at Bishop Museum, maybe a sunglasses exhibit? Magnetic bracelets?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-03-2016, 12:24 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

I didn't take this to be a rip on locals, though maybe I's wrong.

What I thought was "yeah, when I'm dressed up going to a nice dinner, I don't want to trek to far in heels" or if it's really hot I may not want to walk.

I'm in good shape and could run it, doesn't mean that's what I should do.

Sometimes I don't mind playing "tourist" and site seeing on the way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-03-2016, 01:45 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
If you are defining local as someone fat and lazy with the diabetes tingling in their legs from too much starchy foods then yes, you are correct. Sightsee? Maybe if some of those locals LOOKED around at what is there and appreciate it and try to care for it instead of pulling the fatass SUV up to park at the door so they can complain about the parking rates and the loss of the stores that they never supported anyway then they might be happier.
Well that was uncalled for.

Maybe you haven't noticed our strong and omnipresent LOCAL ASIAN demographic... of which has some of the longest lifespans globally. They are much healthier and live significantly longer than caucasians.

We (as in the state) are also ranked consistently as being the healthiest in the country because of our LOCAL ASIAN demographic.

So not sure where you were going by your "local" comment (oh, who are we fooling... we know but just can't say it ).

But back on topic... the comment about locals wanting to park as close as possible is a common sense one. They are... (drum roll here...) NOT TOURISTS. So they will understandably make visiting this venue as convenient as possible (i.e. reducing the effort required to both get to it and return back home). They will (yes, even the super fit ones) will PREFER to park in a CONVENIENT spot close to the venue they are visiting. Again, that's just plain common sense.

But gotta love the blatant hypocrisy... it's totally fine to walk three quarters of a mile when you're dressed up and headed to a fine dining restaurant... but totally unacceptable to ride a bike to work in the exact same weather conditions because "it's way too hot".

You just can't make this stuff up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu