Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:18 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A more realistic number based on HR numbers I've seen is: about 50% leave in a year when the lease is up. Nearly all the rest leave by year 2 - about 10% stay beyond 2 years. This is for working adults - not retirees.
Well your numbers would only count people that had jobs. And my numbers were back when it was very hard for a mainlander to land a job. My numbers counted most every dreamer that hopped a plane without a plan.
If a sizeable number stayed the island would be overflowing.
I'm gonna backtrack on that and say 3% leave at the year Mark so it was 4% longer than a year but it seems like it reached 1% by year 2.

Last edited by honobob; 10-22-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 04:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
OP, you actually never stated where you would be moving FROM........if it's like Aberdeen, Mississippi or New Jersey or something... I would say go for it!

Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 PM

41 posts, read 52,296 times
Go for it! Having children would make so much easier to fit in. The best gift you can give children is the gift of opportunity!. My kids have travelled through out the world because we gave them the gift when they were little. Life is so predictable, shake it up.

It's only a year, you are staying in the U.S. and can you imagine keeping your family together by supporting your husband; their Dad.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I'm gonna backtrack on that and say 3% leave at the year Mark so it was 4% longer than a year but it seems like it reached 1% by year 2.
And they criticize the education people receive in Hawaii?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 12,332 times
We live in Md, and my kids seem to have such a small understanding of the world. I have traveled myself but traveling with 3 kids is something we haven't done much yet. I feel it's so important to understand other cultures and broaden your horizons from a young age. And as I said before its only for one year, no longer. My 12 year old is warming up to to the idea lately and my 9 year old has been begging us to go. We live in a small town and it bothers me that they aren't exposed to different types of people/cultures/ways of life as much as I would like them to be. We have a salary that stays the same at 150k, and his employer will cover flights/shipping costs/etc. it's hard to say the kids shouldn't be disrupted because i see so many people never leave this town for fear of the unknown, born here and die here, never experience anything else and they are close minded at times because of it.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:38 AM

10 posts, read 12,332 times
We also do not have the 2 week vacation option or any for that matter, that would be great but my husband was chosen first for this job. There are plenty of people in line behind him if he turns it down. We are a very close family and he wouldn't go alone for a year and have us visit, which would be really hard on our kids as they all adore dad.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
Marylamd? Go to Hawaii for a year!! The kids would love a winter that they can play outside in everyday, except for when it's raining. At 150k you all will be just fine.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:50 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoriah View Post
Hi,
I could use some advice as this decision has been weighing on me. My husbands employer has asked us to relocate to Oahu area for a year with our 3 kids. They would pay for moving expenses and help us find a rental, we also have a dog!. Our kids are 12, 9 and 5. Our oldest does not want to leave her friends, she will be in eighth grade the year we are there and I'm planning on doing a year of homeschool/ online schooling with her and my 9 year and send our 5 year old to kindergarten. We are all scared of the
Unknown but I can't help but think this could be an amazing experience that will shape the people they become. But what if it isn't and we are in for a very difficult year? I have only researched Hawaii but I know people who have lived there and they loved it. But they didn't have kids. I'm constantly flip flopping my decision and would love to hear another opinion. Thanks!
Moved to Oahu from the Capital Area, with two small kids, one of whom went to public schools. It is both good and bad with much more on the good side.

Below is my retrospective ledger.

Weather: Hawaii+++ - so much better, 24X7 outdoor availability
Traffic: bad but it's much better than DMV. Try to live close to the office.
Schools: MD +++ - Hawaii schools suck - even the best ones. The good private schools have long waiting lists; Daycare is daycare though if your kids are young enough
Housing: Hawaii + Close because although Hawaii gets you less for your money, there are loads of luxury condo rentals available walking distance to the beach.
Social: About even. Hawaii is very different from the Capital area but people are friendly and in general give more time to social activities than in the DMV
Food: Fresh fish and lots of Asian dining, personally I liked it but not for everyone.
Health: You will be healthier in Hawaii, it cannot be helped

You probably should downsize and not bring a whole container of stuff, my company paid a container and I put my car in it to fill it up. We rented a condo next to the beach then moved into a house. Only two years and with some ups and downs but overall a great experience to look back on.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:15 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Moved to Oahu from the Capital Area, with two small kids, one of whom went to public schools. It is both good and bad with much more on the good side.

Below is my retrospective ledger.

Weather: Hawaii+++ - so much better, 24X7 outdoor availability
Traffic: bad but it's much better than DMV. Try to live close to the office.
Schools: MD +++ - Hawaii schools suck - even the best ones. The good private schools have long waiting lists; Daycare is daycare though if your kids are young enough
Housing: Hawaii + Close because although Hawaii gets you less for your money, there are loads of luxury condo rentals available walking distance to the beach.
Social: About even. Hawaii is very different from the Capital area but people are friendly and in general give more time to social activities than in the DMV
Food: Fresh fish and lots of Asian dining, personally I liked it but not for everyone.
Health: You will be healthier in Hawaii, it cannot be helped

You probably should downsize and not bring a whole container of stuff, my company paid a container and I put my car in it to fill it up. We rented a condo next to the beach then moved into a house. Only two years and with some ups and downs but overall a great experience to look back on.
It would be insane to drag everything here and back for a 12 month period.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A more realistic number based on HR numbers I've seen is: about 50% leave in a year when the lease is up. Nearly all the rest leave by year 2 - about 10% stay beyond 2 years. This is for working adults - not retirees.
How about retirees, especially if they have enough money saved, and don't have chronic medical issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: