Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 AM

361 posts, read 398,661 times

Advertisements

I am a born and raised Kama;aina who grew up on Oahu.

I have posted this topic in the main Hawaii section. However, these acts of violence have been mainly observed on Oahu.

There are plenty of crazy road rage incidents in Hawaii that could possibly be decreased if one had a concealed weapon to protect him or herself.

A lot of them are UEMV, Unauthorized Entry into a Motor Vehicle, assaults, where an angry person gets out of his or her vehicle, walks up to your window, and punch you.

There was an incident two years ago where a professional kickboxer assaulted another guy, an older guy, in the Aiea area. The older guy shot the kickboxer guy, because the assailant threw a punch at the driver through his driver side window.

Do you think that if people in Hawaii were able to carry a concealed weapon, that these types of violence would dramatically decrease in Hawaii, moreso, on Oahu?

Watch this video of a crazy guy bashing the window of another vehicle in Ewa Beach.

2-year-old injured in Ewa Beach road rage incident - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

The assailant could have clearly killed the other driver with that expandable baton. Let alone, the shattered glasses injured the daughter.

There are other countless videos of violence in Hawaii, where violence against one another seems to be tolerated on a daily basis.

here is another example of a crazy person attacking a driver. This manly wahine, who happens to be an ON DUTY parking attendant, tries to attack a driver of a vehicle. A good squirt of mace would have deterred that wahine from attacking the guy in the driver's seat. Yes, according to the description of the video, the lady eventually got arrested for assault.

https://youtu.be/H6dk9gxTfPw

However, let's say the driver was not a male, but a smaller framed female, ....if she was loaded, would you think the lady in the video would have attacked the driver?

What are your guys thoughts? (I'm expecting a lot of sugar-coated PC responses)

Old 11-12-2017, 02:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
No. Don't be such a wimp you need a gun. You are responsible for avoiding road rage. Don't make people so pissed off at you they want to beat you up.

Besides, first time you pull a gun - you'll be going to jail a very long time as the person who escalated the situation

Old 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM

163 posts, read 268,950 times
For anyone who is interested, this thread is the reason why the OP needs validation: Can I use my out-of-state concealed weapon permit in Hawaii?

Since it was mentioned, but not linked, I thought I'd make it easy for folks.

ETA: Also, Hawaii is consistently ranked one of the safest states in the country. Often in the top 10, but generally in the top 20. There is a lot to be said for someone who is convinced they need to carry in a state that boasts one of the lowest violent crime rates in the USA.

OP, just so you know, not agreeing with you and/or finding your obsession with needing a gun in Hawaii to be [insert adjective you don't like] doesn't mean we're being "PC". If you're secure in your belief that waving a gun around while inside your car with the windows up is a good idea, then why are you out here begging for validation? It's sad!

Last edited by Enyo; 11-12-2017 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Considering how many cars are on Oahu and that one of the videos was two years old, that kinda means there had to be searching to find an example.

No, a concealed carry is not the answer. Learning how to get along with others is the answer. Dunno if Dale Carnegie's 'How to make friends and influence people' is still valid or not, but work on your inter-personal skills.

When violent grumpy people are met with more violent grumpy people, where does peace fit into that equation? Add in armed violent grumpy people and I don't see how the odds of peace will increase.

So no, skip the concealed carry and work on aloha. Be the peace, it has to start and continue from somewhere now doesn't it?

Old 11-12-2017, 05:48 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
ETA: Also, Hawaii is consistently ranked one of the safest states in the country. Often in the top 10, but generally in the top 20.
... and consistently number 1 or 2 for lowest gun violence.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post

There are other countless videos of violence in Hawaii, where violence against one another seems to be tolerated on a daily basis.

That's a lie, pure and simple.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
I will suggest to the op to stay away from the island if violence is a worry for him. Amazing 95% of people here manage to avoid it.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 PM

163 posts, read 268,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Hey listen. No, I don't get your stupid drift, and don't have to.

Hawaii just has a culture of ghetto violence, and it's increasing ever more, esp on Oahu.

But whatever. Say all the sugar coated stuff you, and your BF jungjohanabata, want to pull out from your okole.

Too many over-sensitive people living on Oahu. Must be the salt water that's oxidizing your guys' brain (as well as Hawaii politicians).
I am a black woman who grew up in the DC area during the era of crack. Even the freaking mayor of DC was a crack addict. I watched it eat my community and kill some of my relatives. If you honestly think Hawaii has a violent “ghetto” culture, then you are extremely sheltered, naïve, or you’re just lying in order to support your obsession with guns. Regardless of your made up statistics and your desperate attempt to validate your obsession, Hawaii is still one of the safest states in the country. Until that changes, nobody with sense is actually going to listen to you.

Last edited by Enyo; 11-13-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
Blame BJ Penn and the popularity of MMA

Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
I do agree responsible law abiding people have the Constitutional right to bare arms and carry those arms. With that said, I would have a difficult time pulling out my firearm on someone who is unarmed in a road rage incident. This is why I am a firm believer in learning some level of self defense. The vast majority of people including bad guys do not know how to fight and learning mixed martial arts or even some level of wrestling would give a person a huge advantage. Here is another statistical fact, don’t allow yourself to be punched first. The person who gets punched first is at a 85% disadvantage. There are also simple distracting techniques that could be used against an aggressor who is squaring off on you. For instance distract your opponent by saying “your zipper is open and your hotdog is hanging out” or “how are you going to fight with your shoes untied?” This will give you more than enough time to get at least two solid punches in and nuetralize the aggressor. When you do punch, make sure you get at least one solid punch in the nose. The nose is the most sensitive part of the face and will stun your opponent enough to finish off the fight. A good shot on the jaw is good too, but good chance will knock out your opponent. I always get nervous of someone falling down like that and their head hitting the pavement. Your head hits the pavement wrong could kill someone.

I can’t stress enough, learn self defense. Know what it feels like to be in a fight, know what it is like to get punched in the face, know what it is like to roll on the ground. No one is too old to learn basic self defense and such training will give you the confidence when in a bad situation.

The expandable baton situation? That is a high risk low probability event. The expandable baton is a deadly weapon and nowhere in the US would it be unlawful for an armed citizen to take down that aggressor with a firearm. The only purpose for carrying a firearm is for those low probability events. You look at what happened in Texas at the Baptist church. This is a very low probability event, but if there were a couple of armed people in the congregation, the assailant would have been taken down before killing all those innocent people. I’m not saying people would not have been killed, but there would not be 26 people dead with 50 injured.

As a police officer I am allowed to carry conceal my firearm in all 50 states, but I’m comfortable to not carry my firearm. I go to church, I go to malls, I travel on roads, I go on vacations, and I go out to eat. I do all these things with my family and I’m comfortable to not carry my firearm because I know the odds of me getting into a situation where I would need my firearm, there is a better chance of winning the lottery. With that said, I have no issue with another police officer or civilian with a carry conceal permit to carry their firearm wherever they go. It is just my choice not to. Sometimes I do, most times I don’t. The purpose of carrying a firearm is to be prepared for that extremely low probability event.

As for Hawaii looking at the crime stats, I really see no reason to carry a firearm. I think there were only two mass shootings in Hawai‘i where both happened in Honolulu around 20 years ago. If I rarely carry my firearm on the mainland, I see no reason to carry it in Hawai‘i. When we move to Hawai‘i I will keep my firearm safely secured in my safe within my home. I may pick up some rifles and bows for hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu