Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:45 PM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I just want to move somewhere everyone will like it and no one is happy here.
That’s an unrealistic expectation and you should temper it immediately. This is why people go there thinking it’s heaven, whine, and leave in 2 years.

Hawaii is like any other place in America, it just happens to have nice beaches and good weather.

It’s not so much about moving to Hawaii, as much as it’s about having a Plan B if nothing goes as planned. Don’t assume it would be some easy cheap transition and that your husband would easily find a job. You’re uprooting an entire family to a rock in the middle of an ocean, it’s not like moving across some states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Quote:
Work for the federal government but husband cannot get a job where we are. I am looking to transfer. He does not want to go overseas (unfortunately, and I got three job transfer offers for Japan )

Anyway, there is a job transfer in Hawaii (Oahu). He is a truck driver and I SEE lots of truck driving jobs in Oahu but I'm not sure if there are actually that many jobs or if they would consider hiring him. He has a lot of different experience. He would be applying before we moved there because I am uncomfortable without both of us having job offers.

The pay is not quite what I was looking for, it's under $90K. But they can offer relocation reimbursement, we can live in base housing (which appears to be cheaper than the area), and our child can go to the base school.

So my question is, based off a generalized salary of $90ish and $40ish, is it worth it? We will have two children when we get there. Housing will be cheaper, the school will (hopefully) be better than the surrounding areas, and the youngest child can attend the base CDC. I just don't want to move there and have it have been a horrible idea.

We are used to moving and not having family around. That part is not an issue. I have moved 70+ times in my life. I enjoy moving and having adventures. And I know if something does not work out, you can always go back or move somewhere else but I am looking for something where we can stay a little bit longer than 2 years. Maybe I am getting older and want to settle down...maybe...

Worth it? Or not?

Also, there are other places hiring for transfers but this would be a significant increase in pay, despite the high cost of living, groceries, housing, etc. We would be doing fairly more well there than we are doing here.
Does your husband have his CDL License?
If your Husband has a CDL. He would have to get a Hawaii License. He does that he can drive.
There is some Government commercial drivers license if your husband want to drive for the Fed government below.
I have worked for the Fed Government for 15 years and a GS-12. I make between $82,500-87,000 per year, before overtime. Anything at GS-13 and over, is management type jobs. Make a lot more, but no overtime.
Best of luck

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registrati...rivers-license

Old 06-08-2018, 06:33 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That’s an unrealistic expectation and you should temper it immediately. This is why people go there thinking it’s heaven, whine, and leave in 2 years.

Hawaii is like any other place in America, it just happens to have nice beaches and good weather.

It’s not so much about moving to Hawaii, as much as it’s about having a Plan B if nothing goes as planned. Don’t assume it would be some easy cheap transition and that your husband would easily find a job. You’re uprooting an entire family to a rock in the middle of an ocean, it’s not like moving across some states.
Im moved over 70 times in my life. I know how to have realistic expectations when moving. I also don’t think it will be perfect or heaven. I mostly wanted information on if we could make it on a salary around $90k and how long it will take my husband to get a job. I understand it will be hard but again, I have a lot of experience moving and I have lived overseas so I understand.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Does your husband have his CDL License?
If your Husband has a CDL. He would have to get a Hawaii License. He does that he can drive.
There is some Government commercial drivers license if your husband want to drive for the Fed government below.
I have worked for the Fed Government for 15 years and a GS-12. I make between $82,500-87,000 per year, before overtime. Anything at GS-13 and over, is management type jobs. Make a lot more, but no overtime.
Best of luck

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registrati...rivers-license
Yes he has had his CDL for years. My job is not GS it would be NAF and not allowed to make over time. And there are no raises every year or steps or any of that. Which is why I’m asking if it would be realistic to sustain that salary for a long time there.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 PM

283 posts, read 289,138 times
Had a couple of opportunities to move as a GS-13 and I crunched the numbers both times and I just wouldn't be able to make it work. If I was single, definitely possible. But a family of four, with still some lingering debt I still can't. Even without car payments. And I love the HI environment and being around the water.

I concur with a post above, and will wait until the kids are out of the house, and it's the just wife and I before seriously considering Hawaii positions. Or just regularly visit the islands, 2 weeks at a time, once a year, etc.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:28 PM

The job was offering too low ad no relocation so it did not work out anyway. As for vacation, probably won't happen anytime soon! I wish we had money to vacation, though, that would be nice. Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,920 times
Quote:
The job was offering too low ad no relocation so it did not work out anyway. As for vacation, probably won't happen anytime soon! I wish we had money to vacation, though, that would be nice. Thanks for the input everyone!
To be honest, it’s probably for the best.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Of course it’s not worth it.

Wait until the kids are over 18 for the Hawaii fantasy. Why do that to the kids unless forced to transfer?

Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Quote:
Just save up for the vacation. There is always a reason, but it was not the time to move here. Now Maybe later on like was pointed out earlier in the thread.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 12,459 times
I lived there for 5 years but was on active duty left in mid 2017. I lived on base housing for while, the housing was nice but the tenants were ghetto (lots of pitbulls and sagging pants) so moved into Moanalua Valley and it was much better. My kids went to schools in the Red Hill area, the days are short with a short summer break compared to mainland no AC in the schools. I shopped for food solely at commissaries but you can't do that unless you're in the military. Does your husband have a construction background? If so he could make far more on Oahu than the mainland. Know plenty of them making $45-50 per hour. I dealt with discrimination for being non-Asian repeatedly but nobody could take the views away from me. I'm a martial arts guy and my former wife was a rattle snake so we were ok once people saw what they were up against. I actually made better money there than I do now but it mostly because I'm overly frugal and all my activities were free. I had a lot of military perks too, taxes, cars, food, cola ect.. You won't have the money to join the Kailua crowd so you will have to face the real Hawaii haha. If you're soft in any way I wouldn't recommend going, but if you have no issue standing up for yourself and family you'll be fine and ultimately have a decent experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: