Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 07:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,153 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear your experiences on private elementary and middle schools on Oahu. I have 3 school age children and planning a move for next summer. Ideally I prefer to enroll them in a great public school vs private school because, well, it would be very expensive to have 3 kids in private school. However, I am curious if there are any affordable private schools (under $10,000/year) on Oahu?

Areas I am considering renting: Hawaii Kai and Kailua. I have done some research and these school zones appear to be very good. Of course the rent for a 3 bedroom is very high $3500+ but it would still be cheaper than 3 in private school

Thoughts on Aikahi Elementary School?

Mahalo!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Damien Memorial is probably the cheapest for grades 6-8, running about $12,000/year.

If you are comparing elementary schools in Kailua and Hawaii Kai to the rest of the island, I suppose they may look "very good", but the bar is incredibly low.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
If it were me, I'd send the kids to the public schools for socialization skills and then teach them the stuff I wanted them to know at home. It doesn't have to be formal lessons, but teaching them basic economics (i.e. what's a mortgage, buying verses renting, costs of using a credit card, how to write a budget, etc.), basic life skills (how to do the laundry, cook a meal, clean the house, grow a garden, etc.) and how to type and use a computer would put them up to par on their education, perhaps.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If it were me, I'd send the kids to the public schools for socialization skills and then teach them the stuff I wanted them to know at home. It doesn't have to be formal lessons, but teaching them basic economics (i.e. what's a mortgage, buying verses renting, costs of using a credit card, how to write a budget, etc.), basic life skills (how to do the laundry, cook a meal, clean the house, grow a garden, etc.) and how to type and use a computer would put them up to par on their education, perhaps.
Go to school all day - presumably have homework - and then more schooling at home? Just to overcome the Hawaii subpar school system?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:20 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
what Is driving the move to Oahu ? I ask only because it is likely easier to find a high quality public school on the mainland within a district with more affordable housing than on Oahu.

But beyond that, one option you could consider as an alternative to private schools is to move into Hawaii Kai or Kailua districts for the public schools in those neighborhoods and then enroll each of the children into one of the Kumon schools to supplement the public school education.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,153 times
Thank you for the responses! Looking at Hawaii Kai or Kailua area. After a bit of research it looks like they have excellent elementary schools. Have not researched middle or high school yet.

The move is primarily for leisure and we selected Oahu because we have family on the island, we are somewhat familiar with the island after vacationing several times there.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,003 times
The elementary schools in the areas you mentioned are actually pretty good. They are not subpar to mainland schools in my experience. Middle and high schools are a different story. The majority of kids who grow up in Hawaii attend public elementary and branch off to private middle and high schools.

There is usually a break on second and third kids attending the same school. Still not cheap though.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
If your kids attend "affordable" private schools, you will be bothered by numerous fund-raising events almost every month. Only the top few are exceptions because they got a lot of donation.

There are two tiers of private school in Oahu: the few that everybody wants to get in and the others that try every means to attract students to enroll.

So either it is very hard or very easy for admission.

Ironically it is relatively easy to obtain financial aid from the top few and it is very hard to obtain any subsidy from the rest.

Private schools do go bust too.

P.S. Their tuition goes up every year, 5-7%, much higher than inflation.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:30 PM

206 posts, read 186,422 times
Hawaii Kai has some of the higher rated public schools on the island. Hahaione, Niu Valley, Kaiser. Schools and teachers do make a difference, but I am of the mind that students get more out of school what they put into it.

However, if you are truly concerned about their schooling, and you consider it a high priority in their life and yours, then honestly you shouldn't be moving to Hawaii at all.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:35 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
1. affordable
2. private school
3. oahu

On oahu, you can only get 2 of the 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: