Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,743 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Honolulu - just want to confirm approximately what I could expect for cost of groceries for one person and/or restaurants...e.g. what is the price of a meal compared to mainland prices? Are there cheaper places to get your groceries or eat?
Thanks and Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
Well, I hate to say this, but "it depends." It depends, largely, on where you're moving from. If you're moving from LA or another good-sized city, groceries and restaurants are not (necessarily) too much more expensive. Although most things have to be shipped here, so as the price of oil goes up, so does the cost of that portion of any item's price.

It also depends on what you eat. And where. A good amount of produce is grown in Hawaii, and there's always plenty of fresh fruit and fish. Restaurants are all over the place from fast food and "local grinds" to exorbitant. Cost-of-living indices on the web show anything from a 5% "Hawaii penalty" to a 40% increase, depending upon the kinds of expenses that you actually incur. (These include costs-of-living for food, housing, healthcare, education, transportation, etc., and not everybody pays for everything on the lists.)

There's no sales tax, but there is an excise tax on some items and services, and there is a partially-refundable tax on bottled and canned beverages.

I have houses in two states, and Hawaii is definitely more expensive, but more so in the cost of housing, gasoline, personal services, utilities ($$$$$!), and large consumer goods than in groceries and modest eating out.

Last edited by whynot?; 05-25-2008 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 17,743 times
noted - thanks for responding!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,074 times
Check the search function. Was quite a large thread on this subject while back.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 43,961 times
Default Bigger problem

Cost of living is not the problem. Bigger problem is finding a good paying job. If you are transfering with your employer, no sweat but if you just want to move and find a job, you can plan on making much less than on the Mainland.

Ship everything you can fit into your car because it is less expensive. You can buy furniture once you are there.

Living and eating like a local is great! Just stay away from the tourist type places and you will be loving life.

Last edited by POI DOG; 06-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-07-2008, 01:31 AM

713 posts, read 1,957,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
I am considering moving to Honolulu - just want to confirm approximately what I could expect for cost of groceries for one person and/or restaurants...e.g. what is the price of a meal compared to mainland prices? Are there cheaper places to get your groceries or eat?
Thanks and Aloha
I have lived in Michigan and Chicagoland all my life.

I have just recently travelled through Canada.

I am currently visiting Honolulu.

The prices of Honolulu are similar to Canada.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
Check the search function. Was quite a large thread on this subject while back.
What does food really cost in Hawaii?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 PM

92 posts, read 318,575 times
Default cost eating

i was reading the paper last week and it says to expect milk to hit 10.00 a gallon in the near future.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 AM

12 posts, read 45,067 times
Wow, I took a look at the ads HankD posted. Those are exactly the same as the prices we pay here in Alaska. I feel better now, I'm already used to that! Thanks HankD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu