Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 01:07 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

Hi there, trying to consider where to relocate has been the toughest decision of my life, I love the west coast, and its mountain ranges and libertarian spirit. From WA, ID, MT, OR, and SD...and etc...It will be real hard for me to leave the west coast. But if I were to do so, I would only consider Marion and Citrus County in FL, cause it is more country and rural, and homes seem affordable there too on a little acreage.
Been looking at Ocala, Dunnellon, Lecanto, Inverness, Crystal River, Homosassa, and etc. What I would like to know is:

1) How would the homeowners insurance rate be on say a 2000 sq ft home?

2) Electricity rates? We have the 3rd lowest here in WA state per kilowatt per hour

3) Car insurance? Is it high in those counties? I got a 2006 car.

4) Property taxes don't concern me, nor do income taxes cause I am a 100 percent disabled vet and would not have to pay any property taxes in FL. But the homeowners insurance can be the large expense to replace it I perceive.

5) Crime? Is the area going downhill, with increased crime? Or it Marion and Citrus counties still safe? Are property thefts, and auto thefts high? Drugs? If there a meth problem there? Gangs? Illegals?

6) People? Are they friendly? Do they hate transplants and have the old south we hate Yankees mentality?

7) Sinkholes? Are they a severe concern along with tornadoes and hurricanes in Marion and in Citrus counties?

8) Has anyone moved to either Citrus or Marion county and regretted it?

9) Can any transplants chime in and tell me if they love it there, hate it?

Thanks for help, I know no place is perfect, and I am not the biggest FL fan, as I love the west coast... but I do like the Ocala and Citrus county areas, being more rural, and at least due to those areas not being overpopulated yet. Thanks for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 11:19 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,858 times
Nothing much has changed since you asked in late July. Ummmm....actually, the heat and humidity isn't as much a concern since then.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:23 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Hi there, trying to consider where to relocate has been the toughest decision of my life, I love the west coast, and its mountain ranges and libertarian spirit. From WA, ID, MT, OR, and SD...and etc...It will be real hard for me to leave the west coast. But if I were to do so, I would only consider Marion and Citrus County in FL, cause it is more country and rural, and homes seem affordable there too on a little acreage.
Been looking at Ocala, Dunnellon, Lecanto, Inverness, Crystal River, Homosassa, and etc. What I would like to know is:

1) How would the homeowners insurance rate be on say a 2000 sq ft home?

2) Electricity rates? We have the 3rd lowest here in WA state per kilowatt per hour

3) Car insurance? Is it high in those counties? I got a 2006 car.

4) Property taxes don't concern me, nor do income taxes cause I am a 100 percent disabled vet and would not have to pay any property taxes in FL. But the homeowners insurance can be the large expense to replace it I perceive.

5) Crime? Is the area going downhill, with increased crime? Or it Marion and Citrus counties still safe? Are property thefts, and auto thefts high? Drugs? If there a meth problem there? Gangs? Illegals?

6) People? Are they friendly? Do they hate transplants and have the old south we hate Yankees mentality?

7) Sinkholes? Are they a severe concern along with tornadoes and hurricanes in Marion and in Citrus counties?

8) Has anyone moved to either Citrus or Marion county and regretted it?

9) Can any transplants chime in and tell me if they love it there, hate it?

Thanks for help, I know no place is perfect, and I am not the biggest FL fan, as I love the west coast... but I do like the Ocala and Citrus county areas, being more rural, and at least due to those areas not being overpopulated yet. Thanks for help.
1) $800 - $1,500 annually, depending upon the home itself and insurance options, would be my guess. I would suggest that homes built after the early-2000's would be best.

2) Power is usually considered cheap in Marion County so long as you're not within Ocala city limits, in which case the price essentially doubles.

3) Car insurance is a bit higher than where I'm from in the northeastern US, though minimum coverage can be had for (comparatively speaking) next to nothing. Maxed coverage on two vehicles runs my wife and I $139.00 monthly I believe, so I don't find it overly salty.

4) See #1.

5) Crime in Marion County is down over the past decade. You do need to be rather choosy about precisely where you live in many working and middle-class communities, though, which is why many older and/or affluent people opt for gated enclaves. I can't overstate that fact enough and, realtors are forbidden by law to discuss related issues.

6) People are generally friendly, and even helpful, though there are some specific caveats to that which would be better discussed in a private message than in the current topic.

7) Ocala has a history of sinkholes, but fears regarding such are largely overblown in my opinion.

8) Spent the majority of my life in the PA, NJ, NY, and MD areas. I've lived in Marion County for almost 10 years.

I absolutely believe the food quality was superior up north, and I've eaten all over this state. I believe the working young and old are frequently discriminated against in Florida, and that there exists a broad effort in much of the state to subjugate the average working resident for the benefit of local governments, their donors, and select businesses and/or entities.

Without a doubt, Florida has some of the worst resident motorists in the country, and this particular area is probably at the crappy end of that group on top of it. There are also only about a dozen districts within the state that I would feel comfortable sending children to for their K-12 education. A lot of local natives in this particular portion of the state do not come across as being very 'bright' even when they possess post-secondary degrees.

From a purely leisure perspective, however, I think the area's great for anybody with steady income who also prefers a lesser population density and a good ratio of rural/nature to access/necessity options. Perpetual sunshine doesn't hurt, either.

For my personal set of circumstances, I'm quite content living here.

9) See #8.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Thanks for taking the time, yea I been debating on where to retire to for the last year now, I may very well stay out west though, mainly cause the wide open space, mountains, and a culture that I am familiar with....I hope to decide very very soon though. Thanks for info, much appreciated.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:21 PM

So who covers the Dunnellon and Citrus county areas of FL for electric power? Is it Duke? And are they cheap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala