Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

Many thanks to all of you that have posted in response to my questions. We still look at Ocala and would love to retire in Florida. The insurance costs are a big concern, but we still come visit and look at land. Thank you so much for the valuable input. Someone had asked how much land was in AZ. In Peoria, some lots were $300K + and some for a little less further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 21,617 times
Exclamation Live in Marion Oaks and have built 2 houses.

The older area, Unit 5, does contain the older homes, but it also includes the golf course. The homes around the golf course are very well kept up, and I haven't seen much crime. The crime is centered around the community center. I have 2 kids and definitely worry about safety.
DON'T build with Maronda. My husband and I did, and although the house was nice, the building experience was not. They put the house on wrong lot (they ONLY build on their lots, which gives you less control over the house building experience, which they use to their advantage), didn't connect some of the upstairs wiring (3 bdrms lights didn't work, and I checked all the breakers), and took 3 months to fix hole in the master shower (so you couldn't use it) that they promised to fix during the walk through. Also caught them 'doing stuff' to our paperwork, and changing mind on covering closing costs AT the closing table. Thank god I had borrowed extra money to cover stuff like this. Found out later that they had shown our house to a neighbor down the street the day before we bought it for 50k more than what we paid. We'd had had a contract on it for over a year and a half! Got to the closing table and got slammed with 12.5% interest only loan! Title company agent warned us that if we postponed the sale, the company would sell it out from under us. Refinanced with a regular bank at 6% 1 week later. Also, windows are not double paned. I could never keep that house at a constant temp, and my power bill showed it. Best thing about a Maronda house? Selling it! I actually went door to door and asked my neighbors about their experiences. Before you sign with them, I encourage you to do this.
Green Brothers built the second house. Much better built, and more energy efficient. Only problem is that you have to stay on the company's back, or the house will never get built. Our house was 9 months over due and I checked on the progress every day. I had to call the contractor and tell him the columns were done incorrectly according to the blueprints, and the driveway was framed 1 car width too narrow. The painters painted all the door handles along with the doors. I had to schedule the power company to dig the power lines because nobody at the company had remembered to do it, even though I had reminded the contractor for the previous 3 months. I had to go to the building department myself to find out why I couldn't get an electric meter. The builder hadn't paid the impact fees yet! Opps, they forgot that too! It took them 1 month to put up 3 towel bars! Lost my interest rate lock, and got an ulcer. I should have gotten a paycheck! Lots of little things still not fixed after 6 months.
Neighbor had Triple Crown. His delay was even worse. If construction isn't started in 6 months, YOUR PRICE GOES UP.
Didn't hear very good things about Reed either. I don't wish to repeat what I heard about them from one of their customers. Very nice house though.
Most builders take longer than 6 months to start, even though they say your house will take 6-12 months from start to finish. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!!! Do yourself a favor and buy a spec home, or one that is currently being built, or ADD A YEAR onto the time frame the builder gives you. Check the internet for complaints against builder. Better Business Bureau is useless.
Better off sticking with smaller builders, because the owners have pride in their craft rather than sit back and just collect a paycheck. Look at Murphy Kaufman (very impressed after meeting owner/builder), America's Best Homes, or Baute Homes. Good luck!!
Try to stick with city water. Well water is exceptionally hard here! You will have to have a water softener with a well. Had a sprinkler system (which I highly recommend). When the wind blew the mist on my car, it looked like a glass of milk had been poured down the window. Washer solution won't touch it. Windex won't touch it. Had to keep a bottle of lime away next to garage. When I wanted to drive the car, I'd squirt the windshield with the lime away, hit it with the hose, and before it dried used the wipers and washer solution. Forget seeing out the back window. The deeper the well, the harder the water.
If you want a pool, I highly suggest Yandle's Pools. They have been the only company that actually performed work when they said they would, and the finished product is AWESOME. They are a family buiness that has been in business a number of years. If I ever move, I will use them again. Get a salt water system, not a standard chlorine. Almost maintaince free! Get a cage over the pool, or the frogs and lovebugs will drive you out!
Make sure you get a pest contract on your house. I recommend Middleton (the one with the green frog). Scorpians love Marion Oaks. Also found brown recluse and black widow.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,881 times
I'm looking for something sensible close to Hwy 27 and I-75. I have three dogs and need a fenced yard. My parents live in Foxwood off 27. Interested in renting or buying.

Sensible is a 2bed/2bath one level with central hear & air with fenced yard. Nothing over $75K. Will consider rents up to $900.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,469 times
Anyone have any feedback on the "deed-restricted" aspect of Marion Oaks? What exactly are the usual "restrictions"? Anything out of the ordinary? Also, would most people characterize the best part of Marion Oaks as the part that lies north of CR-484?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:46 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
[quote=dufala15468;195010]
retiring 2 central florida is i think the best of places in florida.(givin' the general public's opinion ive heard). but, there are plenty of other places more suited for retirement.(ocala palms, top of the world, the villages, etc..)
hope this helps.....................duf[/quote

Can you tell me why you think these other places are better? We're in our mid-50s and will hopefully be retiring to the Ocala area in a year or so.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 AM

13 posts, read 108,586 times
I live outside of Ocala, and the Marion Oaks area is drug ridden low class people, more drug bust there than anywhere else in county. Dunnellon area is nicer smaller and better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala